U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM

510 posts, read 698,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think my aunt is afraid of someone faking it, drama, or something. She didn't clarify. Her suggestion was to not even respond to it.

My opinion is that if this a proven DNA relationship, particularly as close as a first cousin where specific parentage came into account, I would want answers particularly if I were the person who just found out that I don't know who my biological parents are.
Like the others said, a DNA match is a DNA match . There are a few reasons why your aunt and her "first cousin" may not know each other. First off, first cousins share a set of grandparents. Second, Ancestry DNA "first cousin" could be a different relationship like a great aunt or uncle to the grand nephew or niece. Take a look at the amount of centimorgans your aunt and the "first cousin" share. To find that info, click on the cousin, then where is says "confidence, extremely high", there is and " i " next to that. Click on the i and it will tell you the shared DNA info. There is a range for first cousins and other relationships. This link explains it better.

https://genealogymom.wordpress.com/2...-centimorgans/

as far as strange reasons for not knowing this person; being switched at birth is one. This is not common nowadays because of the security issues hospitals have in place, but if this person is older it's quite possible. There was just a story about this on Megyn Kelly.

From my own personal experience I matched two people on Ancestry DNA. One was my lowest first cousin, the other my highest second cousin. I did not know either of them. To make a long story short, they are siblings, and we are half first cousins. We share one grandparent. Their grandmother and the shared grandfather had a one night stand in the 1950's. They never saw each other again, and 9 months later a child was born (their mother). Luckily for us their grandmother was still alive, and when the siblings asked her, she told them what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 AM

6,855 posts, read 1,470,863 times
While not necessarily a scam, the following is possible: Jane Doe or John Doe does a DNA test (Test A) and it says they are mostly German. A week later, they do another test (Test B) and find they are mostly Dutch. Because of the many ethnic groups in this world and the questionable accuracy of DNA, maybe both tests are wrong. That person could be an ethnic group not recognized by any DNA testing service.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM

9,285 posts, read 5,512,691 times
i found a second cousin, it was my mother side aunt family, so my mother shares a grandfather with their tree, so they was nothing to me but a name.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM

3,966 posts, read 3,461,766 times
I think a one night stand or an affair is the most plausible. The match showed up as first cousin which is what really makes it interesting. I did a bit of googling. The 'first cousin' is quite young. If she really is a 'first cousin', we can quickly eliminate a lot of people as being the biological parent because that generation was in their 60's-80's at the time of her conception. I have someone in mind as potential biological parent there. If it goes back one generation, it wouldn't surprise me either. That branch of the family has some well beyond colorful stories. We are aware that DNA may bring out close relatives we we weren't aware were relatives. It is the 'first cousin' part that is throwing me off.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:46 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
While not necessarily a scam, the following is possible: Jane Doe or John Doe does a DNA test (Test A) and it says they are mostly German. A week later, they do another test (Test B) and find they are mostly Dutch. Because of the many ethnic groups in this world and the questionable accuracy of DNA, maybe both tests are wrong. That person could be an ethnic group not recognized by any DNA testing service.
Oh no, this is not Ancestry Test, this is DNA Match.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM

444 posts, read 270,626 times
These DNA tests (From legit companies) are not scams. But People who do these tests should be cautious and know that they may reveal Illegitimacy, Out of Wedlock Children, Dark Family Secrets and Skeletons in Closets type things. They may find out things they don't want to know wish they did not know

These tests have been known to tear Family apart because someone took a test and it revealed that a grandmother or great-grandmother cuckolded their husband and gave birth to a child that the husband (and everyone in the Family) thought was his but really was the guy she was sleeping with while he was gone during the day or Grandpa was cheating on Gramma and had a child out of wedlock. There also been stories of Wives divorcing their Husbands due to DNA Tests revealing the Husband had an affair and fathered a child out of wedlock while Married.

So People should always be ready for anything these tests may reveal Good or Bad. There some good things about doing these tests but also some bad things about it too because it may open up a can of worms and cause hurt and resentment in the Family. unless you don't want to know these kinds of things then I suggest People think twice. They may expose secrets they won't like or don't want to know

These tests can also reveal children not born from affairs but unknown children of Ancestors or other relatives who may have been put up for adoption or a child that a relative did not know they even had!

Old 03-17-2018, 03:39 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
These DNA tests (From legit companies) are not scams. But People who do these tests should be cautious and know that they may reveal Illegitimacy, Out of Wedlock Children, Dark Family Secrets and Skeletons in Closets type things. They may find out things they don't want to know wish they did not know

These tests have been known to tear Family apart because someone took a test and it revealed that a grandmother or great-grandmother cuckolded their husband and gave birth to a child that the husband (and everyone in the Family) thought was his but really was the guy she was sleeping with while he was gone during the day or Grandpa was cheating on Gramma and had a child out of wedlock. There also been stories of Wives divorcing their Husbands due to DNA Tests revealing the Husband had an affair and fathered a child out of wedlock while Married.

So People should always be ready for anything these tests may reveal Good or Bad. There some good things about doing these tests but also some bad things about it too because it may open up a can of worms and cause hurt and resentment in the Family. unless you don't want to know these kinds of things then I suggest People think twice. They may expose secrets they won't like or don't want to know

These tests can also reveal children not born from affairs but unknown children of Ancestors or other relatives who may have been put up for adoption or a child that a relative did not know they even had!
I agree 100%...!!!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM

9,285 posts, read 5,512,691 times
your dad brother could of had an affair, you will still come up as cousin

Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 3,461,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

I agree also.

This test has come up as a 'first cousin' relationship which may or may not be the true relationship. If it is, that mama appears to have some explaining to do. The involved male would have been 70ish. If it is who I am thinking, he no longer had a wife. His known children are currently mid-50's to 60's. They will be kind, but most likely amused.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 5,135,818 times
How many siblings does your aunt have? Does she have any half siblings? This match could be the child of a half sibling. It could be your aunt didn't know she had a half sibling, her father might have had a child she didn't know about and this match could be that person's child, accounting for the younger age. A half-niece is the same DNA range as 1st cousin. Ask about locations where the match's assumed parents/grandparents lived and see how that matches up with your family.

Nobody takes a DNA test hoping to hit people up for money. This is a common but unfounded reflex people seem to have when encountering an unknown relative through DNA: "What do they want??!! Money???!!" No. The only time I've heard of this happening was in reverse: an adoptee who I helped find her family through her DNA test found out from relatives that she had a half sister. She contacted that half sister who was in dire straits and saw that the adoptee was well off from her Facebook page, and so hit the adoptee up for money several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy