U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM

21,260 posts, read 15,046,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This has been discussed many times. No, it is not accurate in dividing up regions within a continent. What is your paper trail ethnicity? And what are the regions that surprise you? I get 30% Scandinavian and 9% Italian/Greek in Ancestry. I don't have ancestors from those places in the last 400 years.
And from where are your family origins?

Scandinavians colonized a great many places from England to France to Germany, the Baltic States and Russia. Once settled, they did what everyone else did for hundreds and hundreds of years, and that is marry within their own ethnicity, typically someone from within their village.

It's not unusual for people with English ancestry to have Scandinavian DNA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:22 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,796,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Your sisters and brothers are not a "copy" of you. Even twins brothers and twin sisters are not 100% similar to each other, the only humans similar to each others are "clones". And I don't think any laboratory out there is making human clones.
That's my point. Since siblings have the same ancestors, they also logically have the same ethnicity. Regardless, DNA frequently reports significant differences in ethnicity because it cannot provide a true picture. I think the estimate is interesting, but IMO it is far too often accepted as gospel. Even that ignores the "noise" that Ancestry readily admits is part of the testing process. Far more attention needs to be given to the ranges included in the report than to the single value that most people rarely look past.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:33 PM

8,129 posts, read 4,434,348 times
It almost seems that the greater the company's effort is to be precise the crazier the results. I have Finland and Iberia on one test (My Heritage) with no similar results on 23andme. GedMatch results are all over the place depending on the test -- Hungary, Croatia, Papua New Guinea, East Anglia, Orcadian, Kashube. 23andme gives me Balkan (I actually have some Ukrainian ancestry near the Black Sea ) and Scandinavian (no clue). On paper I'm 1/4 Irish, 1/2 German and 1/4 Dutch/Walloon/English/Ukraine.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
That's my point. Since siblings have the same ancestors, they also logically have the same ethnicity. Regardless, DNA frequently reports significant differences in ethnicity because it cannot provide a true picture. I think the estimate is interesting, but IMO it is far too often accepted as gospel. Even that ignores the "noise" that Ancestry readily admits is part of the testing process. Far more attention needs to be given to the ranges included in the report than to the single value that most people rarely look past.
Still, siblings are not identical. Your older brother could have brown eyes, brown hair and you have blond hair, blue eyes. Is obvious the ethnicity is not identical. Maybe you have more Scandinavian DNA than your brother does. Even if your parents are the same.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,796,509 times
Quote:
Still, siblings are not identical. Your older brother could have brown eyes, brown hair and you have blond hair, blue eyes. Is obvious the ethnicity is not identical. Maybe you have more Scandinavian DNA than your brother does. Even if your parents are the same.
I never suggested we were identical in terms of DNA. But siblings descend from the same people, and thus have the same ethnic background. While DNA estimates ethnicity, it in no way defines ethnicity. Researchers have long sought out their ethnic backgrounds, long before DNA testing was available. In today’s battle between DNA companies, ethnicity estimates have become a marketing tool more than anything else.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM

5,604 posts, read 7,645,456 times
Let's say you're 2% "Iberian Peninsula" - that doesn't necessarily mean you have a recent ancestor from there. But many of your ancestors from, say, the UK area might compositely have a portion of their DNA from there via the old European migration routes/history. Also, siblings can have quite different percentages, because although you get 50% of your DNA from each parent, you don't get the same 50%, and especially with those small percentages, it is quite possible for one sibling to get enough of it that it shows up while another sibling does not, or has something else that shows up, etc. To further think about this: your mom got 50% of her DNA from each parent. But when you got 50% of your DNA from her, it wasn't necessarily 25% from each of her parents - in theory you could get only DNA from one of her parents and not the other - although this is statistically and practically very close to impossible, it is just to point out that what you get from your ancestors can be anything in a range of percentages.....

Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM

923 posts, read 315,090 times
do any of them consider the DNA of the American Indian? I was told they don't consider that in the testing. That would be the primary reason for me to get a reading. I'd like to find out if we have any American Indian in us.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:44 PM

634 posts, read 537,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
do any of them consider the DNA of the American Indian? I was told they don't consider that in the testing. That would be the primary reason for me to get a reading. I'd like to find out if we have any American Indian in us.
They do.
Here is my K13 results from Gedmatch Eurogenes:
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94 <===== I am 26% Native American
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

Results from FTDNA:
European 46%
New World 28% <=====28% Native American
Middle Eastern 13%
African 8%
Jewish Diaspora 2%

Results from Ancestry.Com:
Native American 29% <===== I am 29% Native American
Iberian Peninsula 26%
Europe South 17%
Africa North 6%
Scandinavia 5%
Senegal 4%
Europe West 4%

Last edited by ozarknation; 03-18-2018 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 AM

25,136 posts, read 30,041,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Siblings have the same ancestors, but they do not have the same bits of DNA from those ancestors. One sib may have bits that track to one ethnic group and another have bits that track to a different ethnic group. It's not that the DNA does not provide a true picture. The picture for each sib is different.

Also, genealogy DNA testing does not include the entire genome, only a relatively small part of it. If more bits were tested, sibs might get more similar pictures.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:56 AM

16,195 posts, read 8,473,895 times
Quote:
I don't agree with you. My results are very similar at Ancestry, DNALand, Wegene, Gedmatch and FTDNA. My results from MyHeritage are out of range, and not accurate, apparently their data base is very limited because is a new company.
This may be specific to yourself, but I've compared my own DNA uploads from ancestry, DNALand, and GEDmatch and all of them are pretty different.

Interestingly the most significant for my family was that my grandfather's DNA showed no native/indigenous markers with ancestry.com but did on GEDmatch and he was 1.7% NA on DNALand, with no Asian DNA and on ancestry he has about 3-4% Asian DNA. Note, I asked him to test because I am seeking to discover the parentage of his 3rd great grandmother who was descendant of a family with known native American ancestry from Virginia. I figured it would not show up on my results since I am too far removed from this ancestor and I was right. He had much more markers for people who I've met online who are also descendants of families in the community where his 3rd great grandmother was from (Robeson, NC by way of VA) than myself.

Our African regions/nations and their percentages also were pretty different. Mine goes from over 70% with ancestry to less than 65% on DNAland. My grandfather's went down almost 20% on DNALand in particular - we both have, depending on the site, between 25 and 38% European ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or