U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 09:24 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,817,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am very new to all of this DNA stuff. Recently, I got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com and there were a few surprises in the low confidence regions section.

How valid are these percentages? <>
Slightly more scientific than horoscopes.
less confidence than palmistry.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 02:04 PM

9,611 posts, read 15,057,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibginniemodridiotcrackay View Post
ancestry.com might be one of the worse if not the worse dna ethnic testing out there.

Those low results are negligable...
In my experience, MyHeritage is the worst.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:53 PM

9,628 posts, read 9,879,346 times
Ok, thanks for the information.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM

635 posts, read 611,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
In my experience, MyHeritage is the worst.
I agree. MyHeritage is out of context

Old 04-23-2018, 07:51 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,481,790 times
I got my kit Saturday. I’m excited to do it today. I wish I’d done this while my mom was alive.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 AM

438 posts, read 519,468 times
If most people are so mixed already, how many more generations till the whole world is evenly mixed and we can end using race as a scapegoat? The rich vs poor argument will be harder to justify when race or ethnicity is not involved but I guess religion will always divide.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM

9,611 posts, read 15,057,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
If most people are so mixed already, how many more generations till the whole world is evenly mixed and we can end using race as a scapegoat? The rich vs poor argument will be harder to justify when race or ethnicity is not involved but I guess religion will always divide.
Neighboring regions tend to mix among each other, but there is still a very distinctive genetic difference between distant areas, particularly different continents. The ethnicity report is usually pretty accurate on a continental level (it can get a little mixed in the Mediterranean though) and the bigger the reference populations get, and the more sophisticated the algorithms get, the more accurate the reports will get too.

No doubt as time goes on, genetic populations will change, but that doesn't mean we will all become indistinguishable. Probably, as time goes on, Americans will form their own distinct genetic profile instead of being defined as European, African, Asian, etc. But as long as a large group of people stick to one area of the world for several centuries, they will be genetically distinct from another large group of people who have stuck to another area on the opposite side of the world. For example, Western Europeans aren't going to suddenly have so much mixing with East Asians that they become indistinguishable... and even if they do, it doesn't mean there won't be other populations that are genetically far removed from them.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:37 PM

824 posts, read 329,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You seem to share the same low confidence regions, even if the stats are ever so slightly different. Does this mean that the low confidence regions are fairly accurate?
We have the same regions pretty much besides 2, just the percentages are different.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM

5,602 posts, read 8,956,761 times
Just in.........my wife on Ancestry.com. Known ancestry is Greek. 7/8 great-grandparents born on the island of Fourni, the other on Ikaria.

76% Europe South - Greece, Albania, Turkey with high confidence
11% Caucasus
9% Middle East
3% Europe East
1% European Jewish

Any other Greeks out there who wish to compare? I am especially interested in the secondary regions. They seem common for people from the Europe South region per Ancestry.com.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 PM

5,602 posts, read 8,956,761 times
Alright, gotta throw MyHeritage a bone here.

Ancestry.com
76% Europe South - Greece, Albania, Turkey with high confidence
11% Caucasus
9% Middle East
3% Europe East
1% European Jewish

MyHeritage.com
76.0% - Greek
9.5% - Middle East
8.7% - North Africa
2.5% - North and West Europe
2.1% - East Europe
1.2% - West Asian

That is really close to what Ancestry.com came back with, and MyHeritage seems to have IDed the high North Africa component I am seeing on GEDmatch utilities + IDed the trace region of Western Europe where I am finding some 10cM X-chrome matches for my wife from people with seemingly only Western Euro heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy