U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:46 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,298,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Alright, gotta throw MyHeritage a bone here.

Ancestry.com
76% Europe South - Greece, Albania, Turkey with high confidence
11% Caucasus
9% Middle East
3% Europe East
1% European Jewish

MyHeritage.com
76.0% - Greek
9.5% - Middle East
8.7% - North Africa
2.5% - North and West Europe
2.1% - East Europe
1.2% - West Asian

That is really close to what Ancestry.com came back with, and MyHeritage seems to have IDed the high North Africa component I am seeing on GEDmatch utilities + IDed the trace region of Western Europe where I am finding some 10cM X-chrome matches for my wife from people with seemingly only Western Euro heritage.
That's pretty accurate for MyHeritage, it does sometimes depend on the individual. But all four of my kits seem to get the worst ethnicity at MyHeritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 PM
bjh
Status: "Stop the panic! It is not necessary." (set 1 day ago)

35,794 posts, read 24,680,342 times
ancestry.com has ads now claiming that their ethnic breakdown is more specific than competitors. Anyone agree or disagree?

Old 04-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
ancestry.com has ads now claiming that their ethnic breakdown is more specific than competitors. Anyone agree or disagree?
There are new testers with results on Instagram who are showing more specific regions (with percentages) so it appears they are starting to roll out an update.

Even that aside, they do have Genetic Communities, which don't have percentages but there's some 300+ of them. 23andMe has recently added something something, but only has about 120+.

Here's some of the Instagram posts showing the more specific regions:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh6Njoyl...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh5jMHxh...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh45RO0F...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh8CJ4Dg...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiE9w4ug...ed=ancestrydna

Not everyone seems to have the new, more specific results yet, even among the new testers, so it sounds like they are maybe still beta testing it. But if that's the case, I would not expect them to be advertising it yet.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:14 AM

10,788 posts, read 4,805,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
dna goes back thousand of years, they only test the recent, so if all of your family from england, and half moved to germany 100 years ago, your dna is now in germany so you will show up as german.

take the ethnic with a grain of salt. its just an educated guess
I agree, as recently someone I know with one of those tests listed him as having African DNA, but he and his entire family have kept records and lived in Holland for hundreds of years.
They felt at best, maybe some of their relatives were colonists in South Africa as part of the Boers who were of course white Dutch.
But the results implied black African, if for no other reason, PC nomenclature designating everyone from Africa as black.

You can also see how these tests are marketed, showing a woman feeling empowered because she supposedly finds out she came from a tribe of warrior women. Thus it explains to her why she has a strong will or some such nonsense.
If people thought they were paying to find out what they already knew about being white European or black African, the companies would be making anywhere near the profit potential they are now.
Think about it!

`

Old 04-29-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree, as recently someone I know with one of those tests listed him as having African DNA, but he and his entire family have kept records and lived in Holland for hundreds of years.
They felt at best, maybe some of their relatives were colonists in South Africa as part of the Boers who were of course white Dutch.
But the results implied black African, if for no other reason, PC nomenclature designating everyone from Africa as black.

You can also see how these tests are marketed, showing a woman feeling empowered because she supposedly finds out she came from a tribe of warrior women. Thus it explains to her why she has a strong will or some such nonsense.
If people thought they were paying to find out what they already knew about being white European or black African, the companies would be making anywhere near the profit potential they are now.
Think about it!

`
How high was the percentage of African? Small percentages can just be noise, which can largely be ignored like a false positive. The ethnicity report is generally pretty accurate on a continental level - it's the sub-continental (or regional) reports which start to get much more speculative because people in neighboring regions share so much DNA. I can not tell you how many times I've typed the words "DNA ethnicity reports are only an estimate and should not be taken literally". They are fun and interesting to explore if you understand how they are calculated, but they should not be taken as totally accurate.

However, the true value of the test is with the DNA matches. With the DNA matches, people can confirm lineages, break down brick walls in their family tree, and find lost or unknown biological family.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:00 PM

5,258 posts, read 8,461,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There are new testers with results on Instagram who are showing more specific regions (with percentages) so it appears they are starting to roll out an update.

Even that aside, they do have Genetic Communities, which don't have percentages but there's some 300+ of them. 23andMe has recently added something something, but only has about 120+.

Here's some of the Instagram posts showing the more specific regions:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh6Njoyl...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh5jMHxh...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh45RO0F...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh8CJ4Dg...ed=ancestrydna
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiE9w4ug...ed=ancestrydna

Not everyone seems to have the new, more specific results yet, even among the new testers, so it sounds like they are maybe still beta testing it. But if that's the case, I would not expect them to be advertising it yet.
Neat. It will be interesting if Ancestry.com tweaks their British Isle regions. I see one region in the links above that is "England and Wales."

Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Neat. It will be interesting if Ancestry.com tweaks their British Isle regions. I see one region in the links above that is "England and Wales."
Yes, it seems like they are splitting it up into "England and Wales" and "Ireland and Scotland".

Likewise, Iberian is going to be broken down into separate categories for Spain, Portugal, and Basque. Europe South will be split into "Italy", "Sardinia", and "Greece and the Balkans". Europe West will finally be split into separate groups for France and "Germanic Europe" too. I'm very eager to see just how accurate or inaccurate it's going to be. Hopefully they've increased their reference database rather than just trying to apply different algorithms.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:21 PM

6,248 posts, read 3,697,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Take a look at the ranges around all of the estimates. Bottom line, there's not a lot of certainty to any of the ethnicity report. For all of mine less than 10%, the bottom end of the range is 0%, suggesting those may just be noise.

Ancestry has a pretty good explanation at https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...ity-estimate// "The next level includes Low Confidence Regions. For each of these regions, the possible range includes 0% and does not exceed 15%. Since there is only a small amount of evidence of genetic ethnicity from these regions, it is possible that you may not have genetic ethnicity from them at all."

My sister and I both took the AncestryDNA test. The DNA results themselves correctly confirmed a sibling relationship, but our ethnicity estimates varied significantly. That reflects the differences in the DNA between siblings. Perhaps, if you have 5 or 6 siblings, you may be able to reach better conclusions if everyone tests and then try to merge the results in some fashion. The results are interesting, but I don't put much credence in them, beyond the top couple ethnicity percentages.
That is due to “recombination”.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:31 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,372,954 times
My test came back in 3 weeks. Not 1 match . 0 shared ancestral hints. 0 starred matches. Totally disappointed.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 AM

3,891 posts, read 1,922,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
My test came back in 3 weeks. Not 1 match . 0 shared ancestral hints. 0 starred matches. Totally disappointed.
Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the matches to show up. I suspect they run the matching program on a periodic schedule that doesn't necessarily coincide with the ancestry test results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or