Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:30 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

I am very new to all of this DNA stuff. Recently, I got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com and there were a few surprises in the low confidence regions section.

How valid are these percentages? I am not expecting much credibility from the <1% results. How reliable/valid are the results in the 2-5% range? None of these results can be traced to any known relatives from the past 150 years. Would uploading the raw data to GEDMatch provide more information regarding ethnicity? I'm not interested in finding distant family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:38 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am very new to all of this DNA stuff. Recently, I got my DNA results back from Ancestry.com and there were a few surprises in the low confidence regions section.

How valid are these percentages? I am not expecting much credibility from the <1% results. How reliable/valid are the results in the 2-5% range? None of these results can be traced to any known relatives from the past 150 years. Would uploading the raw data to GEDMatch provide more information regarding ethnicity? I'm not interested in finding distant family members.
Their calculator is very precise, compared to other companies. So whatever results you got from Ancestry, is what you are. You can go to Gedmatch and upload the raw data if you wish, the results are about the same. I recommend DNALand from the University of Saint Louis, is very precise too. Is free as well and you can upload your raw data in there too.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
dna goes back thousand of years, they only test the recent, so if all of your family from england, and half moved to germany 100 years ago, your dna is now in germany so you will show up as german.

take the ethic with a grain of salt. its just an educated guess

Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Going back 150 years, you may know who was married to each other but do you know who was sleeping with each other?

Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Going back 150 years, you may know who was married to each other but do you know who was sleeping with each other?
Ha Ha. The surprise is the locations of these regions. Not very close to each other and I don't think anyone traveled by plane back then.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
dna goes back thousand of years, they only test the recent, so if all of your family from england, and half moved to germany 100 years ago, your dna is now in germany so you will show up as german.

That's what I was thinking. These surprise ethnic results are from possibly hundreds or even thousands of years ago. Not too much mixing in my background so I was surprised that I was more of a mutt than a purebreed than expected.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Their calculator is very precise, compared to other companies. So whatever results you got from Ancestry, is what you are. You can go to Gedmatch and upload the raw data if you wish, the results are about the same. I recommend DNALand from the University of Saint Louis, is very precise too. Is free as well and you can upload your raw data in there too.
Thank you.

One of my kids, who does some work with genetics (but not a geneticist), seemed to think it was probably accurate, but my sibling who does a lot of stats seemed to think the small numbers were too small to be credible.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:47 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
This has been discussed many times. No, it is not accurate in dividing up regions within a continent. What is your paper trail ethnicity? And what are the regions that surprise you? I get 30% Scandinavian and 9% Italian/Greek in Ancestry. I don't have ancestors from those places in the last 400 years. There is a LOT of genetic overlap between regions. Other DNA companies give quite different results. If you look at your individual ethnicity descriptions you will see how they give a range of probability. Don't believe the percentages in your overview, even though their advertisements focus on that.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:56 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post

And several people here who have had their DNA tested with multiple companies have received significantly different results from the various companies.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:48 PM

661 posts, read 880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And several people here who have had their DNA tested with multiple companies have received significantly different results from the various companies.
I don't agree with you. My results are very similar at Ancestry, DNALand, Wegene, Gedmatch and FTDNA. My results from MyHeritage are out of range, and not accurate, apparently their data base is very limited because is a new company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy