Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the news today. Women finds out her her biological father was the doctor who preformed artificial insemination with ancestry DNA search.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...her/485240002/

Questions for those who use these searches. Have you gotten totally unexpected results that threw you off on who you are blood related to?

Has there been any cases where you send in DNA and a find out that a relative is caught for some kind of crime found through DNA matching that you did?

Yikes, talk about a possible opening of a can of worms?

I've never contiplated doing a DNA search but I would think there could be some major surprises for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I saw this on the news today. Women finds out her her biological father was the doctor who preformed artificial insemination with ancestry DNA search.

Questions for those who use these searches. Have you gotten totally unexpected results that threw you off on who you are blood related to?

Has there been any cases where you send in DNA and a find out that a relative is caught for some kind of crime found through DNA matching that you did?

I've never contiplated doing a DNA search but I would think there could be some major surprises for some.

Yup. Found out my dad is probably NOT my dad. Quite a shock after 75 years! My brother and I didn't match and neither did my cousin and I. My cousin's mom was my dad's sister. I DID match cousins on my maternal side but like my aunt used to say, "You never know who the father might be but you DO know who gave them birth". I have no interest in exploring this and will simply let it be. Besides, whoever my dad was he is probably long gone by now anyway.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Yes AZ, That's kind of what I was thinking. At a certain price in life it doesn't matter who daddy is in the long run. Life goes on. But I imagine still surprising in some instances.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
My last name comes from my great-grandmother, who was born out of wedlock (then gave her son born out of wedlock her last name.) Her supposed father was a Welsh miner. Family stories always said this great-grandmother (who died years before I was born.) claimed her "real dad" was a Jewish businessman. I was always told that great-grandmother had an allergy to the truth and loved attention, so pay her story no mind.

DNA results say great-grandmother was telling the truth. My dad, uncles, and myself all had significant amount of Jewish blood per Ancestry (between 10-20% for of all of us) and through a combination of cousin matches on Ancestry.com and census reports, we found our blood relative, a Jewish immigrant from Lithuania who was in town just long enough to father a child before moving on to SW PA.

Still keeping the last name though, as neither the Welsh nor Jewish name is my paternal line, that's an Irish name that is still in local circulation..........and we are not sure this family knows the sundry story associated with THAT illegitimate birth.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:

It happens all the time. You can also get this information unexpectedly from family members without taking a DNA test.

Quote:
No, there is no connection between these direct-to-consumer DNA tests and forensic databases.

Quote:
Why not open it then, you might find new relatives and discover new information. If I found out about an unknown parent I would want to know about their ancestry and family medical history. I think it is better to know than not know.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:

I can't understand why this man would take a DNA test when he knows what he did, and must have known there was a good chance this would happen.

Quote:
Yes, I found out my grandfather was not the biological son of his father, the man he was named after, and the man his mother was married to at the time of his conception and birth. Instead, his biological father was basically an irresponsible petty criminal.

I also found out my great uncle fathered a child no one in our family knew about. I don't even think my cousins (who would be this person's half siblings) know about it.

Quote:
No, law enforcement have no access to commercial DNA testing without a court order or warrant, and they need a specific reason to get one of those.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM

1,018 posts, read 511,423 times
I never had any shocks, as both of my parents are indeed my parents, but I had several close family members take the test on both sides who I had no idea existed. I had some 2nd cousins from my Maternal Grandfather's side who I never met before pop up, along with 2 3rd cousins from my Maternal Grandmother's side. And, I found out I was Jewish on My Paternal Grandmother's side, as she took the test and had Jewish as did I. And I never knew anyone on My Paternal Grandfather's biological father's side, my great grandfather genetically, and I had a whole bunch of matches from that side of the family, so it was interesting to reach out and hear more information. It's a very cool thing.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Actually, today.

I've had my DNA in several databases...one of them being GedMatch. I also uploaded my husband's and my aunt's DNA. A new match for my aunt came up. Someone from Taiwan. I noticed that this person also matched my husband. The thing is my aunt is from Brazil and my husband is American like me. Upon further examination, I realized my husband and I are 5th cousins on my father's side AND 6th cousins on my mother's side. (my mother is also American, her family has been here since 1635).

It's just odd.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I’m beginning to think my maternal grandfather wasn’t my biological grandfather. I have always noticed how my aunt looks a lot like him, but my Mom doesn’t. And now that I’ve taken the dna test, I’m getting lots of matches from the rest of my family, but none from his section.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:

Oh, was it Paris Jackson, by any chance????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy