U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:19 PM

5,240 posts, read 4,547,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
She already has a copy. It is just on paper, not digitized. The information itself has already been given to her.

You do not have to do anything formal to claim copyright. You just do it.
My apologies, I misunderstood the post. I thought she had been given a printed summary and wanted digital copies of the 3 bound books. I didn't realize she had been given 300 printed pages.

Copyright registration information can be found in circular one on the site copyright.gov .
Yes, an author has an automatic copyright upon creation of work. The circular explains why registration might be warranted for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,219,898 times
i just realized, the other person is 80... is there going to be digital copy? maybe it was all done by hand on paper to start with?

it might be easier to take the paper copy to a historic/genealogy society and find a freelancer who will type it in for you over a month for a few $100 if you dont have the time to do it yourself

i knew a stay at home person who did this as a part time job in retirement, not putting it into digital but researching geneaology for people. typing it is would be side business

Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 AM

12,670 posts, read 22,617,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
My husband has a relative that has done extensive research on one branch of his family. I have a paper record that she has printed, which is great, but I would love a digital copy.

I have never met her, and I don't believe my husband has either. She is now in her 80s and I don't believe she has done more research in a decade. I do have an address but it may not be current either.

What I would like to do is send a letter that asks if she would give me her research in digital form. The records are extensive - hundreds of people traced back to the early 1700s - with various pictures and anecdotes. There are 3 bound books, each over 100 pages! Somehow it feels disrespect to just ask for what amounts to years of research - and yet I have no idea if anyone else has copies. I would hate for it to just disappear.

What would you write if you were to ask for such a thing?
Do you have the books she wrote? I'm unsure exactly what you already have.
Have you looked on Ancestry to see if there is already a tree for this branch?

Since you don't know this relative; maybe start off asking about her research, not asking for anything. Send a few letters or phone calls to build a relationship 1st. Asking right away could put a bad taste in her mouth especially since her work is already out there in paper form. It's one thing to ask for what she already did and another to see if you can help her by building on a younger generation

Quote:
I have Legacy. I don't know what she used but I'm fairly sure it is the output of some genealogy program. I was hoping to merge her data with mine, but I'm fairly new to this. Yes, I could just take the paper copy and input it myself which would probably take a few months.
You really should check her work because it may not be accurate. One of my son's relatives had a few people that were not accurate then I was able to find info on other family members. We've been working together for a while now. I'm so glad I checked his moms work myself.

See my //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 thread. It may help you decide what to do. Honestly, I'd upload what you have to Ancestry then see what matches you have that will help you fill it in. You can then save the GEDcom file.

Last edited by Roselvr; 04-09-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 PM

9,296 posts, read 5,544,545 times
My mom had a copy of her tree back to 1400, family bible deal so it had everybody, I ask number of times if I could get a copy. When she died my brother threw everything away that wasn't cold green and spendable. I don't even know my grandfather name

Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 PM

12,670 posts, read 22,617,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
My mom had a copy of her tree back to 1400, family bible deal so it had everybody, I ask number of times if I could get a copy. When she died my brother threw everything away that wasn't cold green and spendable. I don't even know my grandfather name
That really sucks! My dad's stuff was thrown out and some sold

Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 PM

7,229 posts, read 11,659,427 times
Quote:
My husband has a relative that has done extensive research on one branch of his family. I have a paper record that she has printed, which is great, but I would love a digital copy.

I have never met her, and I don't believe my husband has either. She is now in her 80s and I don't believe she has done more research in a decade. I do have an address but it may not be current either.

What I would like to do is send a letter that asks if she would give me her research in digital form. The records are extensive - hundreds of people traced back to the early 1700s - with various pictures and anecdotes. There are 3 bound books, each over 100 pages! Somehow it feels disrespect to just ask for what amounts to years of research - and yet I have no idea if anyone else has copies. I would hate for it to just disappear.

What would you write if you were to ask for such a thing?
I'm confused by how much you already have- but I assume it's only a small portion and I'm assuming you're not close enough to visit her personally.

First, ask if her copies are unique or if there are copies in other hands, etc.

If they are unique, inform her of the reasons for your interest including your desire to preserve the information and ask if she would be willing to arrange copies to be made in digital format.

You are willing to pay for her time and effort and total expense in bringing these books into a facility that could accomplish this and you would, of course, credit all research to her if you choose to use it in any form.

P.S. Sometimes a paper copy or book can last a lot longer than a digital record. Digital copies could become an obsolete format.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:46 PM

4,305 posts, read 2,026,482 times
Let's get this straight. A digital copy means a file from a family tree database program. One where each person is entered in, and married people are connected to each other, and children are associated with their parents. There will be reports available to print out the information in tree format, and most likely other kinds of reports as well. OP is looking for the database file that was used to print out the paper copy in the 3 books. Usually it is called a GEDCOM file. A GEDCOM can be imported to other family tree programs on someone else's computer.

That is different from scanning in the paper pages just so you can see it and scroll through it on your computer screen.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:45 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,235,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Let's get this straight. A digital copy means a file from a family tree database program. One where each person is entered in, and married people are connected to each other, and children are associated with their parents. There will be reports available to print out the information in tree format, and most likely other kinds of reports as well. OP is looking for the database file that was used to print out the paper copy in the 3 books. Usually it is called a GEDCOM file. A GEDCOM can be imported to other family tree programs on someone else's computer.

That is different from scanning in the paper pages just so you can see it and scroll through it on your computer screen.

Exactly.

I don't know why everyone is debating the format. It looks very similar to what I have attached here.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you ask for this information-image-thumb1.png  

Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 AM

47,501 posts, read 45,876,654 times
Quote:
Exactly.

I don't know why everyone is debating the format. It looks very similar to what I have attached here.
So she already has it digitized, and you just want access to her digital info?

That's what most are trying to determine, since she is 80. A person that age could be tech savvy or not. You never know, but we'd love you to clarify.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 AM

2,812 posts, read 5,725,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Let's get THIS straight... a DIGITAL COPY, is defined as any SCANNED image of an invoice, document, receipt or other paper record that is then stored electronically. Also known as a soft copy.

A gedcom is a DATA FILE, and had the OP said this in the first place we all would have known what they were talking about.

Still doesn't negate the fact that asking someone for ALL their data is rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or