U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:32 AM

5,257 posts, read 8,457,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Would you like to share what you found out? Don't have to but it would be nice.
It was my wife's grandmother. Her parents immigrated from the island of Fourni in Greece (then the Ottoman Empire) in the early 20th century.

91.4% - Greek
4.7% - Italian
3.9% - Middle East

I have never seen a DNA service drop 90%+ in one small region for a person before. Has anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM

9,254 posts, read 14,290,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It was my wife's grandmother. Her parents immigrated from the island of Fourni in Greece (then the Ottoman Empire) in the early 20th century.

91.4% - Greek
4.7% - Italian
3.9% - Middle East

I have never seen a DNA service drop 90%+ in one small region for a person before. Has anyone else?
I have - it's obviously more common in people whose full ancestry as far back as they can trace came from one region. And more secluded regions like islands, or groups which are more endogamous (like Jewish), are much more likely to get 90%+ in that population. I saw someone with full Irish ancestry come back with 100% in Ireland once - that was shared in a Facebook group, it was through AncestryDNA. That's definitely rare though.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I have - it's obviously more common in people whose full ancestry as far back as they can trace came from one region. And more secluded regions like islands, or groups which are more endogamous (like Jewish), are much more likely to get 90%+ in that population. I saw someone with full Irish ancestry come back with 100% in Ireland once - that was shared in a Facebook group, it was through AncestryDNA. That's definitely rare though.
I have to wonder what the trigger was that caused MyHeritage to lock down on that one area? Whatever it was, my wife didn't reach it as she got trace regions included with the 75% or so Greek(in line with Ancestry.com's breakdown)

Using GEDmatch, there isn't that much of a difference on the ethnicity utilities, except the North African. Grandma gets "Greek" nearly always while my wife is just as likely to get "Southern Italy" as "Greece" in Oracle, probably because of the North African. Taxe de Similitude tells a similar story. Grandma glows about 2 points brighter red in the core region, and a point or 2 less in the places where my wife gets the traces.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:34 AM

12,545 posts, read 22,525,108 times
Quote:

91.4% - Greek
4.7% - Italian
3.9% - Middle East

Mine; both parents came to the US from Hungary in the late 50's. I did my tree on My Heritage when I 1st started 3 years ago. At one point I saw they were sending out emails to people who had ancestry in certain regions to be part of their founders project; I applied; won a free test. I really wanted to send it to my uncle in Hungary. I should have.

Europe 100.0%
East Europe 96.3%
East European 96.3%

South Europe 3.7%
Italian 3.7%

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-02-2018 at 05:51 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Mine; both parents came to the US from Hungary in the late 50's. I did my tree on My Heritage when I 1st started 3 years ago. At one point I saw they were sending out emails to people who had ancestry in certain regions to be part of their founders project; I applied; won a free test. I really wanted to send it to my uncle in Hungary. I should have.

Europe 100.0%
East Europe 96.3%
East European 96.3%

South Europe 3.7%
Italian 3.7%
Awesome. My 80+ year old coworker loves the Hungarians and is constantly extolling their virtues. He learned the language and wears a pin of the crown of St. Stephen on his feast day. Note, this guys isn't Hungarian at all, he just really loved the place and the people while he was there after WWII.

At any rate......it doesn't look like MyHeritage has problems with people from one region, so can we say their reference panel information is pretty good?

Their issue from what I see is people who have ancestors from multiple places. My family tree is almost entirely British Isles and German, with one Jewish great-great grandfather and one maybe two "mystery ancestors" from the mid-19th century (Spanish is my best guess right now.) Ancestry picked up all these regions. MyHeritage assigned me as 40% Swedish and over 30% Mediterranean populations. They completely missed England and Germany.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 AM

12,545 posts, read 22,525,108 times
Quote:
Awesome. My 80+ year old coworker loves the Hungarians and is constantly extolling their virtues. He learned the language and wears a pin of the crown of St. Stephen on his feast day. Note, this guys isn't Hungarian at all, he just really loved the place and the people while he was there after WWII.
My biggest regret is that my parents didn't teach us the language. I guess it was too hard to learn English and teach us Hungarian. The only time they spoke Hungarian was when they fought or to talk about stuff they didn't want us to know like Christmas shopping lol

I'm shocked to hear your co-worker learned it, it is not an easy language to learn. My dads 80 year old brother doesn't speak English and I have a cousin I talk to on FB that doesn't either. Google translate has been ok for saying hi and a few other things but it is not accurate for their language. I have a Hungarian neighbor that translates for us when we're having a convo; I have drama with a younger sibling that I'm thankful to have my neighbor to be able to translate my side of the story to my cousin. She said Hungarian is a difficult language to learn. She came over as a teen.

Quote:
At any rate......it doesn't look like MyHeritage has problems with people from one region, so can we say their reference panel information is pretty good?

Their issue from what I see is people who have ancestors from multiple places. My family tree is almost entirely British Isles and German, with one Jewish great-great grandfather and one maybe two "mystery ancestors" from the mid-19th century (Spanish is my best guess right now.) Ancestry picked up all these regions. MyHeritage assigned me as 40% Swedish and over 30% Mediterranean populations. They completely missed England and Germany.

MIL #2 who came to the US in 46 from Germany. Her parents had moved to Germany from Poland.

Ancestry results
Europe East 47% - Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland Lithuania
Europe West 30% Germany & Midwest US
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 11%
Great Britain 8%

- Europe 100.0%

--East Europe 55.5%
---East European 34.0%
---Balkan 21.5%

--North and West Europe 33.8%
---North and West European 32.5%
---Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 1.3%

--South Europe 10.7%
---Iberian 10.7%

This is MIL 1 who has NJ Lenni Lenape and I'm not sure what else. She has 2 ancestors that have been hard to crack.

- Europe 97.0%
--North and West Europe 95.6%
--- English 95.6%

--South Europe 1.4%
--- Greek 1.4%

-Middle East
--Middle East 1.9%
---Middle Eastern 1.9%

-Asia 1.1%
--West Asia 1.1%
---West Asian 1.1%

Ancestry results

Great Britain 50%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 30%
Europe West 9%
Scandinavia 6%

My hub who is Italian and French (If I'm remembering right)
- Europe 76.7%
-- South Europe 54.8%
--- Italian 41.8%
--- Iberian 8.7%
--- Greek 4.3%

-- North and West Europe 21.9%
--- Scandinavian 21.9%

- Asia 20.1%
-- West Asia 20.1%
--- West Asian 20.1%

- Africa 3.2%
-- North Africa 3.2%
--- North African 3.2%

Ancestry
Europe South Sicily 53%
Europe West 23%
Scandinavia 10%
Great Britain 6%

Old 05-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My biggest regret is that my parents didn't teach us the language. I guess it was too hard to learn English and teach us Hungarian. The only time they spoke Hungarian was when they fought or to talk about stuff they didn't want us to know like Christmas shopping lol

I'm shocked to hear your co-worker learned it, it is not an easy language to learn. My dads 80 year old brother doesn't speak English and I have a cousin I talk to on FB that doesn't either. Google translate has been ok for saying hi and a few other things but it is not accurate for their language. I have a Hungarian neighbor that translates for us when we're having a convo; I have drama with a younger sibling that I'm thankful to have my neighbor to be able to translate my side of the story to my cousin. She said Hungarian is a difficult language to learn. She came over as a teen.

MIL #2 who came to the US in 46 from Germany. Her parents had moved to Germany from Poland.

Ancestry results
Europe East 47% - Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland Lithuania
Europe West 30% Germany & Midwest US
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 11%
Great Britain 8%

- Europe 100.0%

--East Europe 55.5%
---East European 34.0%
---Balkan 21.5%

--North and West Europe 33.8%
---North and West European 32.5%
---Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 1.3%

--South Europe 10.7%
---Iberian 10.7%

This is MIL 1 who has NJ Lenni Lenape and I'm not sure what else. She has 2 ancestors that have been hard to crack.

- Europe 97.0%
--North and West Europe 95.6%
--- English 95.6%

--South Europe 1.4%
--- Greek 1.4%

-Middle East
--Middle East 1.9%
---Middle Eastern 1.9%

-Asia 1.1%
--West Asia 1.1%
---West Asian 1.1%

Ancestry results

Great Britain 50%
Ireland/Scotland/Wales 30%
Europe West 9%
Scandinavia 6%

My hub who is Italian and French (If I'm remembering right)
- Europe 76.7%
-- South Europe 54.8%
--- Italian 41.8%
--- Iberian 8.7%
--- Greek 4.3%

-- North and West Europe 21.9%
--- Scandinavian 21.9%

- Asia 20.1%
-- West Asia 20.1%
--- West Asian 20.1%

- Africa 3.2%
-- North Africa 3.2%
--- North African 3.2%

Ancestry
Europe South Sicily 53%
Europe West 23%
Scandinavia 10%
Great Britain 6%
Lol, my coworker is in that top percentile. He can speak English, German, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian, Spanish, Latin, and Mandarin. He can also read Icelandic and carry a conversation in Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Uigur, Kazak, and probably a few I am missing. The only two languages he said he couldn't learn were Dutch (too close to German he said, his "best" 2nd language.) and Korean.

Wow, a 95% England result. MyHeritage gave me zero in that region(although 20% Ireland/Scotland/Wales,) Ancestry gave me 76% Great Britain. If there are some mystery ancestors there, they didn't contribute that much DNA, it seems, all those other regions are down the trace range.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 438 times
I have done both the myheritage and ancestry.com dna tests. This last time when I dropped off the myheritage test I asked what their protocols are for these types of packages and they said typically the myheritage packages only require one stamp and can be dropped off at any mailbox as long as they're sealed properly and have the correct postage. Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or