Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:32 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

Did a quick search here, and either didn't find anything directly applicable, or if it was, it was not encouraging.

I seem to have become the archivist of family genealogical documents, photographs, and whatnot. What I would like to know is if there is a well-respected on-line document archive that would be free for users to access. The ability exists to upload photographs and scanned documents to Ancestry.com, but it is quite expensive for those on a fixed income, and those docs/photos are not available to non-paying users. I'd like to make the documents freely available to whoever seeks them out.

Mostly what I have are death certificates, wills, personal letters, personal notes, and a whole slew of photographs.

Does such a place exist in cyberspace?

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
familysearch.org going be the closest to find

Old 04-11-2018, 09:07 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
You might have a state archives that will accept family histories if the collection is organized in some way. The same with state or county historical societies. I was a volunteer at a state archives and there were volumes of family histories there. The Western History Manuscript Collection has personal papers of various people available for research. I had some Civil War letters digitized and put on-line through the state archives.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
FamilySearch.org and Wikitree.com both provide free access to family trees and any media attached to them. However, they are also crowd sourced, universal trees, meaning anyone and everyone can edit, remove, or add to whatever you put on there.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
FamilySearch.org and Wikitree.com both provide free access to family trees and any media attached to them. However, they are also crowd sourced, universal trees, meaning anyone and everyone can edit, remove, or add to whatever you put on there.
My Heritage.Com is another site.

--WikiTree (my son is a major contributor) is certainly NOT crowd-sourced with universal trees that are so open "everyone and anyone can edit, remove or add". Changes, or edits etc. require direct permission from the original contributor and approved, individual password access -- Even then, any/all changes automatically pass back through the original contributor for review. Further, a bibliography section on each tree establishes the source of the data.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
My Heritage.Com is another site.
MyHeritage has a limit on how many people you can add to a tree for free. And just like at Ancestry.com, free accounts can't view other family trees, so uploading data and media there would not be freely available like volosong requested.

Quote:
--WikiTree (my son is a major contributor) is certainly NOT crowd-sourced with universal trees that are so open "everyone and anyone can edit, remove or add". Changes, or edits etc. require direct permission from the original contributor and approved, individual password access -- Even then, any/all changes automatically pass back through the original contributor for review. Further, a bibliography section on each tree establishes the source of the data.
That's only true for certain entries. I am a contributor there and I regularly add and edit profiles other people manage where permission and approval isn't required. "Open" profiles (which are most) can be edited by pretty much any and every user who has signed the "honor code": https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Help:Privacy#Open

Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Thank you all for your responses. It looks like what I'm seeking does not exist. Well, you know that is the way to get rich . . . find a need . . . then fill it. Thanks again.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-17-2018, 12:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
You can create your own website, upload all you want, and password protect it for family members. Cost under $20 to get started. Ask family members for a $20 donation to keep it running.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I seem to have become the archivist of family genealogical documents, photographs, and whatnot. What I would like to know is if there is a well-respected on-line document archive that would be free for users to access.
I understand that you are looking for something "online."

I, too, had a ton of original documents, photos, and letters. I scanned them into a publishing program (I used an early version of MS Publisher) and created a short book (about 52 pages or so), along with several short family trees. Then I printed out about six-eight copies, had them bound at the copy shop, and sent then to: the main LDS library (in SLC), the Allen Co library in Ft. Wayne, IN (huge section of Midwest documents!), the two state archives where a ton of my family members had lived, and two city libraries where a lot of my relatives lived that had genealogy collections.

In all but one case, my free books were well received. One of the city libraries was only accepting digital media, so I gave them a digital copy.

At the time, I think this project cost around $50. I probably spent around 35 hours total putting it together. I worked on it over the course of a summer when I had a free afternoon.

Also, at the time, none of the younger relatives were interested in genealogy, so I didn't bother giving the families copies of the books. I did make sure everyone knew where to get copies, and since then I've heard it's been a valuable resource to several researchers of our allied families: I had included some photos that were thought destroyed in a fire.

That's what I did because I couldn't haul around five file drawers worth of "stuff" anymore!

I wish that I could tell you that I'm totally free of records, but I still have a drawer fill of new things. I'm contemplating a Volume 2 if I get a few more photos.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
We just had a seminar on this and I learned many genealogists use evernote.com. It has a free trial too so maybe you want to look at it. You can do many different things with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy