U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM

33,598 posts, read 34,487,413 times

Advertisements

Please share any stories connected to relatives of yours that went through the Holocaust during WW2 in your family tree that you found out during your genealogy research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 AM

105 posts, read 96,102 times
Not a story but two database of victims of the holocaust. My family surname listed in both and trying to tight back into my records.

szukaj w bazie

https://www.ushmm.org/remember/the-h...ctims-database

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM

767 posts, read 579,047 times
Everyone in my direct line was living in NY during WW2, but I know the relatives that immigrated left people behind in eastern Europe. Before the Decimation: Researching My Family and now I'm on a mission to track everyone down.

On the Yad Vashem website, there is a way to search victim names. I found a woman who may have been my great-grandfather's sister in Kovno, Lithuania. She was married and had 4 young children. She was about 39 when she died. I believe she was buried alive. I am 37, and finding her name and picture struck me particularly hard. I contacted someone in Lithuania that handles birth records from the early 1900s to confirm her parentage, and I'm waiting for a response.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,719,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Everyone in my direct line was living in NY during WW2, but I know the relatives that immigrated left people behind in eastern Europe. Before the Decimation: Researching My Family and now I'm on a mission to track everyone down.

On the Yad Vashem website, there is a way to search victim names. I found a woman who may have been my great-grandfather's sister in Kovno, Lithuania. She was married and had 4 young children. She was about 39 when she died. I believe she was buried alive. I am 37, and finding her name and picture struck me particularly hard. I contacted someone in Lithuania that handles birth records from the early 1900s to confirm her parentage, and I'm waiting for a response.
If this route doesn't work contact the Red Cross Tracing Service. They help for free.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Other databases...

Yadvashem - https://yvng.yadvashem.org/

JewishGen - https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/holocaust/

Holocaust.cz - https://www.holocaust.cz/en/database-of-victims/

Holocaust Memroial Center - https://www.holocaustcenter.org/TraceSurvivorsorVictims

Jewish Virtual Library - Tracing Family Members Lost in the Holocaust

FindBuch - https://www.findbuch.at/en/holocaust.html

Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM

767 posts, read 579,047 times
I found her name on the Yad Vashem victim search. Her maiden name matched and the parent names were close to identical. But I need to double check her birth year and I’ve had no luck on JewishGen. Theother sites look promising. Thank you!!

Old 04-12-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
I found her name on the Yad Vashem victim search. Her maiden name matched and the parent names were close to identical. But I need to double check her birth year and I’ve had no luck on JewishGen. Theother sites look promising. Thank you!!
You are very welcome. And, the Red Cross will help with this as well If you want to send me a private message with details I am happy to help look

Old 04-13-2018, 01:01 AM

9,431 posts, read 11,377,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Please share any stories connected to relatives of yours that went through the Holocaust during WW2 in your family tree that you found out during your genealogy research.
My European Jewish side immigrated to the USA in the mid to late 1800s so I know of no family members who experienced or perished in the Holocaust. I'm sure there are distant cousins who did but I haven't found anything. Yom HaShoah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or