U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:45 AM

12,631 posts, read 22,576,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I used DNA Ancestry. I have not uploaded it to My Heritage or those other sites you mentioned. In ethnicity tests sometimes traits or ancestry are so distant they don't show up. So it's possible I could do those tests and have no NA ancestry. But going over the primary records I also found no evidence of anyone being Native.
Depending on what type of NA it may show in one of the other databases. We lucked out with my son and his fathers mother, GEDmatch showed the Lenni Lenape NA when Ancestry did not.

Since posting what I did, I worked on her side too. We didn't know who her grandmothers parents were. The name she gave me turned out to be her grandmothers grandparents. I did find the NA. It's pretty well documented in a book about their part of NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM

5,263 posts, read 8,471,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Depending on what type of NA it may show in one of the other databases. We lucked out with my son and his fathers mother, GEDmatch showed the Lenni Lenape NA when Ancestry did not.

Since posting what I did, I worked on her side too. We didn't know who her grandmothers parents were. The name she gave me turned out to be her grandmothers grandparents. I did find the NA. It's pretty well documented in a book about their part of NJ.
Do you mind if I ask what test on GEDmatch and what percent you found? My grandmother comes in at 1%+ on some of the tests there (more than double what the typical German or Scot should have per the reference panel information,) and I have never been able to get a handle on if it is noise or evidence of the family story.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:14 PM

9,256 posts, read 14,314,355 times
There is no admixture on Gedmatch that has a population for Lenni Lenape - not even in Oracle, unless it's being labelled something I don't recognize?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM

21,320 posts, read 15,092,991 times
Quote:
Ancestry did not, because no one can. There is no possible way to identify a specific tribal group using DNA.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Eurogenes K 13, which is notorious for generating false positives of Native American ancestry.

Nearly all North American Native Tribal Groups, and I don't know of any that rely on DNA testing, would reject your claims.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 AM

12,631 posts, read 22,576,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Ancestry did not, because no one can. There is no possible way to identify a specific tribal group using DNA.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Eurogenes K 13, which is notorious for generating false positives of Native American ancestry.

Nearly all North American Native Tribal Groups, and I don't know of any that rely on DNA testing, would reject your claims.
I'm not trying to claim it showed NJ Lenni Lenape and sure am not trying to join a tribe. Was trying to confirm what my son's fathers mother was told about her grandmother (her fathers mother's side) that she was Native American, NJ Lenni Lenape. I just ran her known match from the Whooley line, he's not showing any Amerindian. It was his 4th great grandmother that was Native. I have not worked on that line as I only recently found her grandmothers parents. My son shows Amerindian 0.98, she shows Amerindian 0.57.

Edit - I see my wording wasn't clear; my grandson needed lunch, was rushing to finish my reply.

Quote:

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-19-2018 at 03:57 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM

5,263 posts, read 8,471,459 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to claim it showed NJ Lenni Lenape and sure am not trying to join a tribe. Was trying to confirm what my son's fathers mother was told about her grandmother (her fathers mother's side) that she was Native American, NJ Lenni Lenape. I just ran her known match from the Whooley line, he's not showing any Amerindian. It was his 4th great grandmother that was Native. I have not worked on that line as I only recently found her grandmothers parents. My son shows Amerindian 0.98, she shows Amerindian 0.57.

Edit - I see my wording wasn't clear; my grandson needed lunch, was rushing to finish my reply.
Which test? I ask because I would like to compare my grandmother's NA amount to your son's and post it here. I have gotten varying opinions ranging from "maybe" to "no freaking way" when I asked in other places if it means the family stories are true, and would like the pick the brains of folks here.......

Thanks.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

9,256 posts, read 14,314,355 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, such a small amount may not mean much. None of the 5 kits I manage have any known Native American ancestry - particularly my husband who is British and doesn't even have any American ancestry at all - yet they all periodically get trace amounts in NA on different Gedmatch calculators. It's just noise.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:50 PM

16,218 posts, read 8,510,344 times
Quote:

Wanted to note that my grandfather is an African American and with ancestry dot come doesn't show any native ancestry, but he does on MyHeritage, DNA Land and Gedmatch.

Prior to him testing I had traced his maternal line to the indigenous communities of NC.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 AM

25,498 posts, read 18,953,556 times
Quote:

Native American ancestry showed up in a relative of mine on DNA ancestry. It probably just did not get passed down to my mother or me.

It was very distant anyway.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM

25,498 posts, read 18,953,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Yes. They require paper documentation showing Native American ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or