U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:19 AM

33,858 posts, read 15,559,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll ask Colleen how it's done next chance I get. I know she's done Y-DNA work just not sure what database she uses. I don't think it's FTDNA because she works with older remains.
You lost me here... why do you think that they needed to use Y-STR rather than mtDNA ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 08:37 AM

12,665 posts, read 22,599,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You lost me here... why do you think that they needed to use Y-STR rather than mtDNA ?
Not me, Aries said it would make sense since he was male. I'm saying I'm not sure what lab would do it and I'd have to ask Colleen what database would be available besides FTDNA and if there's a public one they could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Thanks, Roselvr, that is interesting that there are other labs that can process samples so that they can mimic a file that Gedmatch will accept. That still seems pretty devious to me. But although the Buckskin Girl technique was laid out, I still haven't read anywhere exactly what lab was used in the DeAngelo case. It would seem a lot faster and cheaper for them to use one of the DTC companies.

This case was the subject of 20/20 (on ABC) last night. Once again CeCe Moore was a guest expert. She said that it couldn't have been processed by Ancestry.com or 23andMe because they require saliva samples, which was incompatible with the swab sample. (And by the way, the DNA was not degraded, the detective said they had preserved a "pristine" sample in a freezer.) But the glaring omission was that FamilyTreeDNA and I think MyHeritage both use swab samples, so why not use one of those kits? I haven't read any statements from those companies about whether they were involved in this case. And if I were advising these investigators, knowing the suspect was male, I would want the type of Y-DNA testing that FTDNA offers which sometimes provides a match to a surname. That would be extremely useful to detectives. However in the case of an Italian surname it is unlikely they would find a match, although they might find a clue to Italian heritage.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Not me, Aries said it would make sense since he was male. I'm saying I'm not sure what lab would do it and I'd have to ask Colleen what database would be available besides FTDNA and if there's a public one they could use.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'm not understanding Colleen's point but as far as I know the databases for Y-Str are very small and present no real advantage over autosomal unless you are trying to establish Haplogroup which can usually be determined by triangulation from autosomal results.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM

4,175 posts, read 1,998,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'm not understanding Colleen's point but as far as I know the databases for Y-Str are very small and present no real advantage over autosomal unless you are trying to establish Haplogroup which can usually be determined by triangulation from autosomal results.
I don't understand why someone is looking for only a Y test. I tested with 23&Me. They give the maternal haplogroup, the paternal haplogroup (for men), as well as the ancestry and DNA Relative matches (autosomal). Does a Y test give anything more than that?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I don't understand why someone is looking for only a Y test. I tested with 23&Me. They give the maternal haplogroup, the paternal haplogroup (for men), as well as the ancestry and DNA Relative matches (autosomal). Does a Y test give anything more than that?
Not as far as I know which is why I questioned the purpose of using Y-str

Old 05-19-2018, 09:27 AM

4,356 posts, read 2,995,643 times
A different cold case solved:

Relatives’ DNA leads to suspect in 1987 murders of young B.C. couple | National Post

Quote:
Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore, who worked on the case alongside Virginia-based genetics company Parabon NanoLabs, said she built family trees using people who shared “promising amounts of DNA” with the suspect. Two close matches were found from people who married and produced only one son, said Moore.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Here is another link, yours isn't working

'It's just astounding': Genetic genealogy credited with helping solve cold cases

Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 AM

From the other thread titled Another cold case solved using Gedmatch

DNA Data From 100 Crime Scenes Has Been Uploaded To A Genealogy Website — Just Like The Golden State Killer

“I think there is going to be press around this very soon,” a company scientist told BuzzFeed News.
Posted on May 17, 2018, at 2:26 p.m.
Quote:
The company, Parabon NanoLabs, has already loaded DNA data from about 100 crime scenes into a public genealogy database called GEDmatch. And in about 20 of these cases, the company says, it has found matches with people estimated to be the suspect’s third cousins or even closer relatives.

“We were actually pretty surprised,” Ellen Greytak, Parabon’s director of bioinformatics, told BuzzFeed News. With those known genetic connections, she said, investigators have a good chance of using genealogical research to draw family trees and identify possible suspects. Some arrests could come quickly, she suggested. “I think there is going to be press around this very soon.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Thanks, Roselvr, that is interesting that there are other labs that can process samples so that they can mimic a file that Gedmatch will accept. That still seems pretty devious to me. But although the Buckskin Girl technique was laid out, I still haven't read anywhere exactly what lab was used in the DeAngelo case. It would seem a lot faster and cheaper for them to use one of the DTC companies.

This case was the subject of 20/20 (on ABC) last night. Once again CeCe Moore was a guest expert. She said that it couldn't have been processed by Ancestry.com or 23andMe because they require saliva samples, which was incompatible with the swab sample. (And by the way, the DNA was not degraded, the detective said they had preserved a "pristine" sample in a freezer.) But the glaring omission was that FamilyTreeDNA and I think MyHeritage both use swab samples, so why not use one of those kits? I haven't read any statements from those companies about whether they were involved in this case. And if I were advising these investigators, knowing the suspect was male, I would want the type of Y-DNA testing that FTDNA offers which sometimes provides a match to a surname. That would be extremely useful to detectives. However in the case of an Italian surname it is unlikely they would find a match, although they might find a clue to Italian heritage.
Revisiting our Y-DNA talk. I found this article at the link above

Cops Forced A Company To Share A Customer’s Identity For The Golden State Killer Investigation

The case raises questions about whether DNA testing companies will hand over more customer information to law enforcement.
Posted on May 1, 2018, at 12:04 p.m.
Quote:
When the arrest was announced, the three leading companies in the DNA genealogy business — 23andMe, Ancestry, and Family Tree DNA — each said they were not involved in the case.

But on Monday, Family Tree DNA told BuzzFeed News that its parent company, Gene by Gene, received a federal subpoena from the Eastern District of California in March 2017 asking for “limited information” about a single customer account.

The company said it didn’t know if the request was related to the search for the Golden State Killer. But Paul Holes, a retired investigator with the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office who led the team that snared DeAngelo, confirmed to BuzzFeed News that they sent the subpoena to find out the name of the person tied to a particular profile in Family Tree DNA’s database.

“All we were looking for was the identity and who paid for the test,” Holes told BuzzFeed News.

At that time, Holes and his colleagues were looking for genetic matches between the Golden State Killer and profiles in a public database called Ysearch, run by FamilyTreeDNA. This site holds information about DNA on the Y chromosome, which is inherited from father to son.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 PM

9,264 posts, read 14,325,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yes, a Y-DNA test includes Y-DNA matches with other testers, which is the primary value of the test and the only way it can be relevant to recent genealogy.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Colleen posted this last night in her forensic FB group saying she did Y-DNA work for them in 2016 that gave her the name Ewing. There's a video interview with her. I asked her since she's not able to upload Y-DNA to FTDNA, is there a public database she uses? Hopefully she'll explain.

Man eyed in Colorado hammer attacks serving prison sentence in Nevada for similar crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy