Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not every lab can convert the DNA into a genealogy file. I found 2 more DNA Doe Project posts that say more of what was done and by who. You really have to watch the presser I posted to understand how new and specialized this is.
It doesn't take a lab to convert the data to a genealogy file, there are scripts that do it automatically.

"In the past few years, whole genome sequencing of ancient DNA and degraded samples has become possible. Probably the most notable are the Neanderthal and Denisovan genome reconstructions, beginning in 2010, but sequencing of forensic samples has become commonplace in the past few years. From those ancient sequences, as long ago as September 2014, whole genome sequences were being reduced to just the DNA locations supported by GedMatch and the resulting compatible files uploaded there for comparison to other testers. This was possible because the raw data files are made available to testers by testing companies, so testers can modify the files in any way they see fit without the cooperation or involvement of any lab or company.
https://dna-explained.com/2018/04/30...iller-and-dna/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I work with DNA every day at work, but it's bacterial and viral, where I get to make various viruses for researchers. I would have loved to have seen the moment when they got the results from the sample taken from DeAngelo's garbage and it matched the sample from the crime screen.

I'm sure some of the analysts had a good hunch it "should" match, but until you actually see those results, there's that priceless "No F'ing Way!" moment.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:15 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The article states "A lab converted the sample into a format that could be read by GEDmatch" -- very vague, and it doesn't mean it wasn't one of the commercial labs for genealogy. Again I think it could have been the Ancestry lab that processed the sample. But we don't know. I would love to know the answer.

The genealogy sites do not actually run the labs that process the DNA sample itself. For example, as of 2008 23AndMe used LabCorp.

https://www.genomeweb.com/archive/la...r#.Wu3JyIjwZPY

Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't take a lab to convert the data to a genealogy file, there are scripts that do it automatically.

"In the past few years, whole genome sequencing of ancient DNA and degraded samples has become possible. Probably the most notable are the Neanderthal and Denisovan genome reconstructions, beginning in 2010, but sequencing of forensic samples has become commonplace in the past few years. From those ancient sequences, as long ago as September 2014, whole genome sequences were being reduced to just the DNA locations supported by GedMatch and the resulting compatible files uploaded there for comparison to other testers. This was possible because the raw data files are made available to testers by testing companies, so testers can modify the files in any way they see fit without the cooperation or involvement of any lab or company.
https://dna-explained.com/2018/04/30...iller-and-dna/
A lot of this is way over my head but I've been trying to learn for years. I've followed Colleen's blog for years. She and I worked on the same case back in 2009. My life has taken me in all sorts of directions since then; it was mostly following her blog that got me into genealogy because of my MIL #2's life before she came to the US. She doesn't talk about it. Colleen has had some fascinating subjects on the blog which made me want to get serious on finding out if MIL was Jewish due to her last name; according to her DNA test she's not lol

This post they thanked 3 people with 3 companies. The only one I can't find is the last one. I assume the 1st one is who did the tweaking. I'll ask when they slow down because I'm curious who did what.

Aerodyne Research -Greg Magoon "next-generation" sequencing
Full Genomes Corporation - Justin Loe Comprehensive DNA Sequencing
AMD Biotech Weining Tang

DNA Doe Project Page Liked · April 11 ·

Quote:
DNA Doe Project is pleased to announce our first success story....

We want to extend our gratitude to our wonderful lab and bioinformatics team:

Weining Tang, PhD
Co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer, AMD Biotech

Justin Loe
CEO, Full Genomes Corporation

Greg Magoon, PhD
Senior Research Engineer, Aerodyne Research, Inc
(working in collaboration with Full Genomes Corporation)

Old 05-05-2018, 10:20 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Thanks, Roselvr, that is interesting that there are other labs that can process samples so that they can mimic a file that Gedmatch will accept. That still seems pretty devious to me. But although the Buckskin Girl technique was laid out, I still haven't read anywhere exactly what lab was used in the DeAngelo case. It would seem a lot faster and cheaper for them to use one of the DTC companies.

This case was the subject of 20/20 (on ABC) last night. Once again CeCe Moore was a guest expert. She said that it couldn't have been processed by Ancestry.com or 23andMe because they require saliva samples, which was incompatible with the swab sample. (And by the way, the DNA was not degraded, the detective said they had preserved a "pristine" sample in a freezer.) But the glaring omission was that FamilyTreeDNA and I think MyHeritage both use swab samples, so why not use one of those kits? I haven't read any statements from those companies about whether they were involved in this case. And if I were advising these investigators, knowing the suspect was male, I would want the type of Y-DNA testing that FTDNA offers which sometimes provides a match to a surname. That would be extremely useful to detectives. However in the case of an Italian surname it is unlikely they would find a match, although they might find a clue to Italian heritage.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I believe in the not too distance future that we will be able to solve most murders and crime that are within 30 years if there are any DNA samples collected at the crime scene. We have the capability today of tracing DNA samples to your relatives and then simple police work to identify possible suspects.

In any crime scene if they use a sticky paper to grab all hair fibers and dead skin, it's almost impossible criminals to avoid not leaving hair fibers or dead skin unless the person is wearing full hazmat and went through several biohazard washes before committing a crime.

I do believe there is a mandate out there by government agencies to do DNA data collections or warrant power to subpoena DNA sites to hand over data.

If a rape or murder occurred, with just a few drops of body fluids of any kind they can build a DNA profile of the suspect's race, approximate age, and physical size and hair color. Then using network computers and heavy data processing they can link the DNA to a relative of yours and then the police can scan current family tree and all relatives of the DNA to determine possible suspects.

The other problem I have is that scientists have the ability today or tomorrow to predict who could be a future criminal based on DNA profiling. They can also determine if you're gay or straight as well as how smart or violent you could become. This is dangerous, this is predetermined identity.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Roselvr, that is interesting that there are other labs that can process samples so that they can mimic a file that Gedmatch will accept. That still seems pretty devious to me. But although the Buckskin Girl technique was laid out, I still haven't read anywhere exactly what lab was used in the DeAngelo case. It would seem a lot faster and cheaper for them to use one of the DTC companies.

This case was the subject of 20/20 (on ABC) last night. Once again CeCe Moore was a guest expert. She said that it couldn't have been processed by Ancestry.com or 23andMe because they require saliva samples, which was incompatible with the swab sample. (And by the way, the DNA was not degraded, the detective said they had preserved a "pristine" sample in a freezer.) But the glaring omission was that FamilyTreeDNA and I think MyHeritage both use swab samples, so why not use one of those kits? I haven't read any statements from those companies about whether they were involved in this case. And if I were advising these investigators, knowing the suspect was male, I would want the type of Y-DNA testing that FTDNA offers which sometimes provides a match to a surname. That would be extremely useful to detectives. However in the case of an Italian surname it is unlikely they would find a match, although they might find a clue to Italian heritage.
I'll be shocked if we find out what lab processed the DNA.

I doubt they used My Heritage or FTDNA but I could be wrong. The one lab I linked to does Y-DNA.

Surprised they had CeCe on since Colleen would be my choice for something like this; especially since she's doing something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I believe in the not too distance future that we will be able to solve most murders and crime that are within 30 years if there are any DNA samples collected at the crime scene. We have the capability today of tracing DNA samples to your relatives and then simple police work to identify possible suspects.

In any crime scene if they use a sticky paper to grab all hair fibers and dead skin, it's almost impossible criminals to avoid not leaving hair fibers or dead skin unless the person is wearing full hazmat and went through several biohazard washes before committing a crime.

I do believe there is a mandate out there by government agencies to do DNA data collections or warrant power to subpoena DNA sites to hand over data.

If a rape or murder occurred, with just a few drops of body fluids of any kind they can build a DNA profile of the suspect's race, approximate age, and physical size and hair color. Then using network computers and heavy data processing they can link the DNA to a relative of yours and then the police can scan current family tree and all relatives of the DNA to determine possible suspects.

The other problem I have is that scientists have the ability today or tomorrow to predict who could be a future criminal based on DNA profiling. They can also determine if you're gay or straight as well as how smart or violent you could become. This is dangerous, this is predetermined identity.
From what I've heard of hair, It's useful for isotopes or pollen; you can't get DNA without roots.

I agree, I think this will be what the not too distant future holds. I think more like under 10 years since it's happening now.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:08 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I doubt they used My Heritage or FTDNA but I could be wrong. The one lab I linked to does Y-DNA.
Surprised they had CeCe on since Colleen would be my choice for something like this; especially since she's doing something similar.
There would have been no reason for them to send this sample to a commercial lab like the ones that do processing for ancestry. They have access to the FBI, California State Dept of Justice and UC Davis labs.
Quote:
From what I've heard of hair, It's useful for isotopes or pollen; you can't get DNA without roots.
Yes, you actually can, it is called mtDNA but it only carries information about the female side of your family https://www.legalgenealogist.com/201...locks-of-hair/

Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:

But Gedmatch does not provide Y-DNA STR comparisons. Only FTDNA does.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
But Gedmatch does not provide Y-DNA STR comparisons. Only FTDNA does.
I'll ask Colleen how it's done next chance I get. I know she's done Y-DNA work just not sure what database she uses. I don't think it's FTDNA because she works with older remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy