U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 AM

9,256 posts, read 14,314,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Ummmmm, was just asking if people thought it was a real thing, which a fairly viable question. I don't throw my information out there on a blind whim. And yes PA2UK, I DON'T know anythign about it. That's why I asked. Not sure why all the butthurt snarkiness came back, but ok I'll try it....sheesh. Keyboard assissins wear me out.
I was just clearly stating the facts. But come on, you weren't just asking a question, you were being very suggestive that you believe it's all just a big scam. How easy would it be for them to send back results back that sound valid but are really fake? It would actually be incredible difficult for them to do that and any company that did would be quickly found out. A small amount of research would tell you that.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:41 PM

766 posts, read 311,018 times
I knew my ethnicity... half Polish from mother's side, half Irish from dad........ but sent in whatever amount of money back in 2011, can't remember now..... to 23 and me, to found people all over the world i was connected to!!!! it was amazing!!!!! you get mostly fourth or fifth cousins, but they are literally all over the globe!!!! and of course, you find out you are in Haplo-Group whatever, which tells another story about your genetic past, which is also fascinating.

I'd do it again in a New Yawk minute, but honestly? YOU DO NOT NEED to spend a ton of money doing this..... you go and get birth certificates, death or marriage certificates from the city your parents or grandparents were from..... or even the naturalization papers.... everyone has some idea where the older folks settled, lived in.... you start there. Also, if ya don't mind the way the Latter Day Saints operate ( i heard that once you use their genealogy services, and literally every state has at least one if not more genealogy centers, they keep your name in their data base forever but then again who doesn't keep every ounce of you they can in some data base somewhere) you just plug in the name of your grandparent or great grandparent and they have ships logs and ellis island logs that tell you what ship they came on, which gives you a point of origin to work with)...... then you just go to online genealogy sites..... i forget the one i used, but i remember it was called a list-serve, and chose the Ireland one, and there are people on these sites that just for free help you out, in my case someone had all these records from townlands as they are called in Ireland and we found out my dad's great grandfather came from Coalisland, teeny tiny town outside Dungannon, in Tyrone, near Loch Neagh..... when his tombstone actually said he was from some badly mangled spelling of another townland..... because the people keeping records or writing down the information were often not well educated themselves.... just like in the Godfather when you see Vito Corleone age 7 entering America, they mangled his name from Andolini to his town called Corleone).... you have to get a bit creative yourself in the spelling that might have gotten anglicized by some civil servent..... but with help from local people on these genealogy sites, you will triumph on your own!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:05 PM

878 posts, read 465,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I was just clearly stating the facts. But come on, you weren't just asking a question, you were being very suggestive that you believe it's all just a big scam. How easy would it be for them to send back results back that sound valid but are really fake? It would actually be incredible difficult for them to do that and any company that did would be quickly found out. A small amount of research would tell you that.
This forum thing is just bizzare. What people will say behind a keyboard vs. to your face is amazing. Keep on keepin' on...

Last edited by BBslider001; 04-28-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-28-2018, 04:30 PM

25,317 posts, read 30,131,458 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever questioned the validity of these sites that take your money and tell you where and who you came from? I mean, how easy would it be to have people pay $100 or whatever it is only to send back results that sound valid and they are not even close or a total fake. I would love to know my ancestry, but not at the cost of having my DNA out there on the interwebs. Any thoughts form the gallery?
Why do you think the results are "fake"?

All of us who see known relatives pop up in our matches can assure you it is not fake.

The ethnicity reports depend on the database used for comparison. Different companies have different databases and the ethnicity results will reflect that. Those of us with extensive paper trails often find the ethnicity results from DNA correspond nicely with the map from where known ancestors came from. DNA is not going to be able to tell you that your many times great grandparents lived on a certain street in a certain city in a certain country. It does not work that way. In fact, they may have lived in the same house for decades but since borders of countries shift they may have lived in two or more countries during that time. Even in the US counties change. Big counties get divided into smaller ones. You have to know when that happened in order to find the paper documents on your ancestors.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:05 PM

8,150 posts, read 4,459,476 times
The results are accurate but there are often some marginal details that might differ from what is expected. I've never heard of someone having results that are wildly different without any explanation such as a NPE or secret adoption. I don't have many close DNA cousins but the few that I have are clearly related. The results from the different companies on the same test are most often due to how they process the data differently or how they define regions. If you compared my 23andme report with my Myheritage report it would look like two different people mostly because of how they define regions or classify results.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,146,933 times
The ethnicity reports I would say are not "faked" but they can be terribly inaccurate, and they don't have the kind of geographic details that many customers expect them to have. This is still a new science. For example if you know you are half German, most tests have difficulty separating that from other European ethnic groups. Borders of countries have changed a lot over the years and populations have been mixing for centuries, so there is no surefire way of separating "German DNA" from the DNA of surrounding regions. For some people their results are disappointing when they do not match what they know about their ancestry, but in the best case you will also realize how closely related you are to people of other ethnic groups. People who speak different languages and have different ethnic identities today, often have descended from populations that shared similar genetics. As Maya Angelou said, "We are more alike, my friends, than unalike."

Old 04-28-2018, 07:10 PM

12,167 posts, read 9,235,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Think you're funny, huh? Taught your dog to spit?

Anyway, there are doggie DNA tests that tell what breed(s) the dog has
THOSE I question. Some seem so far-fetched (no pun intended)

Uncle Sam's had my DNA on record for years. I really want to do the test but can't decide. I think it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. Maybe the Mother's Day sales will make my mind up for me.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 609,554 times
Quote:
Ummmmm, was just asking if people thought it was a real thing, which a fairly viable question. I don't throw my information out there on a blind whim. And yes PA2UK, I DON'T know anything about it. That's why I asked. Not sure why all the butthurt snarkiness came back, but ok I'll try it....sheesh. Keyboard assissins wear me out.
Basically, you swab your cheek (or by some other method), you send the sample in to the company and the lab eventually categorizes it with either a Ydna type code (paternal), a Mitochondrial (maternal) code or via autosomal (cousin) matching. Your results are posted on the company website, which you access with your own login and password. There is raw data available for your personal download online, but it does not mean anything to most people. For purposes of matching, your DNA is compared to the DNA of others, and your matches are listed, with the degree of relationship (3rd cousin, etc). I have found the autosomal matches to be accurate, but you cannot always trace back the paper trail to find your common ancestor. My brother in law is super easy to trace, since most of his matches are well documented in the past. For me, we are salt of the earth common folk, so it is a little more difficult. I enjoy DNA testing because it is like solving puzzles...however, my grandfather's DNA does not match to his surname (his grandson tested for him), and his past is murky. So, he is my stubborn roadblock....

Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM

9,287 posts, read 5,531,176 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever questioned the validity of these sites that take your money and tell you where and who you came from? I mean, how easy would it be to have people pay $100 or whatever it is only to send back results that sound valid and they are not even close or a total fake.

i thought that too, so i had a second test taken at the same place my first test was taken, but i used a different name, address and credit card. the test was a couple year apart, and they came out indentical

Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM

4,483 posts, read 2,020,846 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever questioned the validity of these sites that take your money and tell you where and who you came from? I mean, how easy would it be to have people pay $100 or whatever it is only to send back results that sound valid and they are not even close or a total fake. I would love to know my ancestry, but not at the cost of having my DNA out there on the interwebs. Any thoughts form the gallery?
No, it's not a scam. Not a scam at all, but you are correct if you think you can't really make money from $29 tests. Thinking it's a neat and complete transaction between just the two of you is the scam.

The cost of mapping someone's human genome is dramatically cheaper and faster than it was a decade ago. Now...you can do it for about $3500 in days with newer products in development to bring it down to $800.

Still, there's a cost there. The cost of the test, the cost of the advertising, the medical supply cases, the transport....and anyone doing something wants to make money, right?

The real question is how do these giant genome mapping processors actually make money? Who is picking up the tab? After all, this is the fundamental replicating instructions we've carried for millennia. It's pretty much our body's coding...and if translated correctly, the original Greek Fate's length of string, so to speak.

The answer right now is insurance companies who even pre-internet maintained a large database of everyone's doctor visits and have long sought to be able to know how to assess risk more accurately. In health insurance, the insurer that can avoid the expensive patients makes crushing amounts of money, same with Life Insurance.

That's not the only one interested though. While it's still not a mainstay, there may be other potential buyers of information that can link a user to a picture to a complete map of DNA....and that's those that collect DNA and are looking to see who it belonged to. Yes, there's the government to catch you if you break the law, but there's a whole cottage blackmail industry growing as well. See something bad, collect evidence, find out who it is...or in the event of a close match, what family it is, and work your way to the bad guy from there.

But hey....you found out you were 3% Neanderthal....so that's even, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or