Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever questioned the validity of these sites that take your money and tell you where and who you came from? I mean, how easy would it be to have people pay $100 or whatever it is only to send back results that sound valid and they are not even close or a total fake. I would love to know my ancestry, but not at the cost of having my DNA out there on the interwebs. Any thoughts form the gallery?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:21 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Most companies offer ethnicity reports AND cousin matches. It is possible to fake the first, I guess, but the second? Not so much.

I say take the plunge!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
It's not a scam. There are enough of us who got results that were spot on. And many others who got results that were close to what they believed their families to be. Then there are the ones who got unexpected results, who did some research and found the DNA test was correct. Then there are the many adoptees who found biological family members. Then there are the many people who have gotten matched to relatives that they can confirm are part of their families.

Millions of people have already done this. The more who participate, the better will be the ethnicity reports. The companies have been able to refine the results several times as the number of participants has increased.

BBslider: if you don't want to do it, then don't. BTW, we are starting to see sale prices now in advance of Mother's Day. So it doesn't have to cost $100.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:29 AM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Has anyone ever questioned the validity of these sites that take your money and tell you where and who you came from? I mean, how easy would it be to have people pay $100 or whatever it is only to send back results that sound valid and they are not even close or a total fake. I would love to know my ancestry, but not at the cost of having my DNA out there on the interwebs. Any thoughts form the gallery?
My results are accurate, and my brother and cousins always "pop-up" at Ancestry, FTDNA, Gedmatch, 23andMe as my possible relatives.
If this was a joke, how come my brother and cousins (which are paid members of Ancestry and FTDNA) always pop-up as my first relatives?

Old 04-27-2018, 11:54 AM

314 posts, read 222,285 times
My results were accurate and have been a great help for me personally as I have done both of my parents' family trees and I've been able to validate some relationships that have existed between the two. For me personally, it's helped to support the data I've gathered and lead me into some interesting discoveries too.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Your actual DNA isn't online. The results are. Because the results are similar across all people what difference does it make that they are online ? There are millions of other Irish, Scottish, French, Chineses, Nigetian, etc in the world. Your particular mix isn't really something that would need to be highly confidential.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Not possible. Not only do most offer matching with other DNA testers (and correctly match people to close family even when there's no information provided on them being close family) but also, every company allows you to download your raw DNA data. That can then be uploaded to other companies and third parties for further analysis. So the entirely industry would have to be in on a massive conspiracy theory, including genetic experts (not associated with the companies) who often blog on DNA results and analyses options, etc.

Anyone who thinks it's all a big scam clearly doesn't know anything about it.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:04 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Your actual DNA isn't online. The results are. Because the results are similar across all people what difference does it make that they are online ? There are millions of other Irish, Scottish, French, Chineses, Nigetian, etc in the world. Your particular mix isn't really something that would need to be highly confidential.
That's not exactly true. Your results come from your raw DNA data which include your actual genome - genes, SNPs, etc. Your raw DNA data is online and actually, with your permission, DNA companies can and do sell your data for research purposes, although anonymously (so your name is not associated with it). Granted, most consumer DNA companies only use a portion of your full genome, so it's not like someone could create a clone of you or something! However, many of the SNPs included in the raw data are medically related, and that has some people concerned with privacy. Currently, US law prohibits health insurance companies from using DNA, but it does not prevent life insurance companies from doing so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneti...rimination_Act

If any of this concerns someone, they should not take the DNA test. Personally, I'm fine with the way it currently stands.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:16 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,996 times
...on a lark, and because i guess i'm a skeptic from way back, i ordered the kit from 123 swabbed my dog's saliva and returned it....got an in depth breakdown of his ethnicity...it was quite hilarious and well worth the hundred bucks..

Old 04-27-2018, 05:21 PM

661 posts, read 879,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...on a lark, and because i guess i'm a skeptic from way back, i ordered the kit from 123 swabbed my dog's saliva and returned it....got an in depth breakdown of his ethnicity...it was quite hilarious and well worth the hundred bucks..
proof it to me
dog DNA is different than human DNA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy