U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM

25,516 posts, read 30,220,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's very rare for two people with the same name to have identical birth dates.
DH has a set of several times great-grandparents for whom the GF has the same name and nearly identical birth and death dates and locations as another man, and both of them had wives named Mary. I know these are two different couples because I have death info and grave locations for the pair that belong to DH and completely different info for the other couple.

I thought I had found a gold nugget when I found a very old typed family history in a Bible owned by my MIL, but it had the wrong couple as the ancestors.

These two families are probably related, as in one census I found a woman who was living with people from both families in the same year. I suspect she is a MIL staying with children and got counted twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:40 PM

7,738 posts, read 3,573,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you examine census forms from 1850 onward, there's usually a mark that identifies the respondent. Often it is an "X" in a circle. Then as now, respondents are supposed to be 16 years or older.

Don't forget that many people were uneducated or received little education and so couldn't even spell their own names. That's especially true of women, who were overwhelmingly most likely to be the respondents.

Even in the 1930s women were married at age 14 or 15, and only went to school as far as the 4th or maybe 6th Grade, before staying home to help with the farm or run the household.

Genealogy requires you to learn some history and geography.

Some States were created out of other States, like Tennessee out of North Carolina, and West Virginia and Kentucky out of Virginia. I have ancestors born in that part of Virginia that later became Kentucky.

North Carolina and South Carolina had a history of animosity, and their borders changed several times before being permanently established.

Some States permitted the creation of new counties from existing counties, and that's especially true for Virginia and Kentucky.

It's also quite possible you're chasing two different people. A birth date is your best friend, and that's person's mother is your second best friend.

It's very rare for two people with the same name to have identical birth dates.

Also, up through the 1970s, it wasn't uncommon for people in the South to travel to Ohio or Michigan for work. They would maintain a home in Tennessee or Kentucky, then work for a year or two in Ohio or Michigan, often in the auto industry and then go home and live off that money for 5 or 6 years.
I have traced most of my lines back to the 1600 or 1700's and can count on less than one hand the number of females married at 14 or 15.

Was that a particular class of society. Do you actually have documentation of family with females married that young? I simply have not found it to be true in my research.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:10 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,725,931 times
What I have learned in over 35 years of genealogical researching.... use EVERY resource available, and think outside the box! Some who have received "certifications" in genealogy, ie... those who paid a lot of money for letters after their names, will tell you that there is only one way to do your research and you MUST follow very strict rules of what they consider the best methods.

But, those who think outside the box and look in areas never even mentioned by the "experts" have found a wealth of forgotten and unexpected information.

Go to the library and make it a habit to read the indexes of ANY book you get your hands on. I have been surprised to find the names of ancestors mentioned in books that had NOTHING to do with genealogy or family history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or