U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:56 PM

21,278 posts, read 15,074,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
So me, my dad, my brother, and my paternal grandfather were all planning on taking a Y-DNA Test to see where our direct Male ancestors come from. Would we all be the same haplogroup? Or could we have different areas? It is confirmed that we all all related through AncestryDNA, we just wanted to test the male line.

Have your grandfather take the Family Tree Y-DNA-67 Marker Test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Unless there is some non-parental fluke the male paternal line should have the same haplogroup. You already documented that you are related so I would think that one test would be sufficient. Did AncestryDNA identify your paternal haplogroup?

AncestryDNA does not identify either Y-DNA Haplogroups or mtDNA Haplogroups.

If you want Haplogroup identification, you must use an alternative testing source, like Family Tree.

Note that your Y-Haplogroup may be different than your mtDNA Haplogroup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM

9,255 posts, read 14,300,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Not 'may' - will. Y and mtDNA haplogroups are completely different, never the same. A Y haplogroup can't be an mtDNA haplogroup and vice versa.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 PM

25,233 posts, read 30,087,636 times
Quote:
Why that many markers? None of the tested males in my family have very many close matches at the 37 marker level, though 12 or 25 are pretty worthless.

https://www.familytreedna.com/faq-markers.aspx

Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM

9,286 posts, read 5,524,300 times
I have 111 markers and the big y test and not have a single surname match

Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,800,983 times
I tested @ 67 markers and had 18 matches within the first week that matched a minimum of 65 markers. I guess it depends upon the surname involved. Of course, none of my matches carry my surname. Guess that tells me something.

I chose 67 markers after getting a lot of excellent feedback on here, as well as lengthy discussions with two administrators from different name projects, one who I knew personally before taking the test. Neither are directly associated with FTDNA. The consensus was clearly in favor of taking the Y-67 test if money permitted. Beyond that, I cannot justify it other than to say I trusted their advice.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 AM

3,483 posts, read 5,140,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I have 111 markers and the big y test and not have a single surname match
Have you checked for matches at the 67 and 37 level?

Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 AM

621 posts, read 249,472 times
Quote:

AncestryDNA does not identify either Y-DNA Haplogroups or mtDNA Haplogroups.

If you want Haplogroup identification, you must use an alternative testing source, like Family Tree.

Well I know that it will be different. Y-Haplogroup comes from Father's Father's line and mtDNA comes from Mother's Mother's line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or