Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

It does not matter which order the samples are compared, it is still sample A to sample B.
Not if you're comparing one ancient sample to thousands of modern samples, versus comparing one modern sample to dozens or hundreds of ancient samples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Not if you're comparing one ancient sample to thousands of modern samples, versus comparing one modern sample to dozens or hundreds of ancient samples.
I give up. You obviously know more about the process than the scientists who studied the ancient warrior woman and their finding that she shares DNA with modern Swedes is faulty and unreliable.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I give up. You obviously know more about the process than the scientists who studied the ancient warrior woman and their finding that she shares DNA with modern Swedes is faulty and unreliable.
Lol, I just made some completely valid and logical points, sorry that apparently bothered you so much. All I'm saying is that you brought up topics that don't really apply to the ethnicity report and you started off talking about comparing a modern sample to an ancient population database, but then switched to talking about comparing an ancient sample to a modern population database, which is completely different. You don't have to be a scientist to understand those pretty basic points.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:15 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
23andme is the most accurate but it is also the broadest. Ancestry is the second most accurate, but even it isn't as good as detecting certain ethnicites as 23 (East African, Native American and even Jewish).

Old 06-16-2018, 05:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy&Quiet View Post
which ancestry test will give me the most details, not just regions but also the specific countries
What is your end goal? Are you going to also build a family tree? Do you want to find relatives?

I personally have not done 23 and me yet; I did our DNA at ancestry mainly to attach it to my tree. I love that feature. From what I hear 23 and me does not have that feature. I'm also on My Heritage and FTDNA

No matter where you test, Ancestry or 23 and me, you can save the DNA raw data to upload to My Heritage for free ethnicity, family matching, chromosome browser, and surnames (when available). FTDNA gives free family matching. There is also GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis that gives free ethnicity and matching. Last I heard, 23 and me was using a new chip that could not be uploaded to My Heritage, FTDNA or GEDmatch, only GEDmatch Genesis could accept the file. I do hope to test myself at 23 and me at some point but I'd like to do the health testing, their prices are pretty high.

If you're going to order a test, now is the time to do it with the Father's day sale.

See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 for directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy