Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,330,596 times

Advertisements

i wonder if daddie got some strange and was never told he knock some up, so he just never knew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 03:30 PM

159 posts, read 222,579 times
historyfan, that is interesting. I haven't done research yet, so I guess I will do the free 14 days to see more. My mother is deceased, and I don't believe she had sisters... unless she did and didn't tell anyone? Or maybe my grandmother had a baby and didn't keep it? It's a mystery so far!

Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
historyfan, that is interesting. I haven't done research yet, so I guess I will do the free 14 days to see more. My mother is deceased, and I don't believe she had sisters... unless she did and didn't tell anyone? Or maybe my grandmother had a baby and didn't keep it? It's a mystery so far!

Good luck. Send me a private message, if you want me to take a look.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,039,113 times
Quote:
I've seen half siblings say that they show up as 1st cousins.
Yes, they may show as 1st cousins, half-siblings or nephews/nieces, or even as grandparents.

It requires additional intensive examination to confirm the exact relationship. DNA testing companies do not perform the additional work, because of the added costs, but if it were a criminal matter where it was absolutely necessary to determine the exact relationships in a family, they would (and the government pays the extra costs).

Old 06-23-2018, 02:14 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times
Quote:
Wow, interesting discussion.

I have a question, and I think I had a surprise with Ancestry.com... It states that this man, JDS, is close family, 1st cousins, confidence: extremely high. He's a year older than I am. I've never heard of this name before and there isn't anyone in my family with his last name. Well, I looked up his name and my mother's name and they both appeared online in a small city in PA about a year before I was born. Meanwhile she was married to my dad at the time with 2 boys. Could she have been separated and had an affair with JDS's father? I've seen half siblings say that they show up as 1st cousins. I do realize this sounds far fetched, but I don't know what other explanation it could be. Any ideas?? Thx
If the range is showing up as "close family - 1st cousins" that could definitely be a half sibling - although another possibility is an uncle/nephew or half uncle/nephew. I know you're ages make that unlikely but I'm always aware that I have an aunt who is only a few years older than her other niece. 1st cousins is a possibility too - but in my experience, AncestryDNA tends to underestimate relationships rather than overestimate them. My dad has four 1st cousins on AncestryDNA and they all show up as a possible range of 1st - 2nd cousins, not close family - 1st cousin. Ancestry's relationship estimates don't specify things like half siblings.

How much DNA do you share? You can find this out by clicking on the "i" icon next to the confidence level (on the match review page, not the list page). This might tell us more.

Last edited by PA2UK; 06-23-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 07:16 PM

historyfan, thanks I appreciate the offer! I'll do a little more exploring and let you know.
PA2UK, Interesting, I appreciate your info... I'll try the "i" icon and look a little further. Will keep you posted!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:14 AM

I finally had time to look at the ancestry site again, and discovered this about the person they say I'm related to:
1,864 centimorgans shared across 54 DNA segments - any clues on this?
I'll probably end up joining to explore more, LOL

Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 AM

127 posts, read 159,013 times
Quote:
I finally had time to look at the ancestry site again, and discovered this about the person they say I'm related to:
You are in the niece, nephew, aunt, uncle range.

http://www.dnaadoption.com/uploads/D...Prediction.pdf

https://isogg.org/w/images/b/bf/Shared_cM_version_3.jpg

Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times
Quote:
Do you have anyone on either (your mother or fathers) side that can do DNA?

Been doing my tree for 3 years, I didn't use my free trial yet. I have one 3rd cousin match (a father/son) that is not a match to my known matches from my mothers fathers brothers or her mothers sisters that came over. It's been driving me nuts trying to figure out how we're related. My dad passed away in 2006; we did a paternity test (using DNA Diagnostics) 2 hours before he passed. I've been debating calling to see if they'll let me do anything with his sample. He has one brother (80 years old) that only speaks Hungarian, that didn't have kids. I sent a letter to him asking if he'll do DNA, he hasn't answered yet.

On my mothers side, I have one Hungarian cousin; my mothers brothers son. I'd much rather have his father who should have the same DNA as my mother but he passed away a few years ago. There are no siblings left to test except my aunt and mother but we're not speaking; so my cousin is the closest for that side. Since he's a male with my mothers maiden name I'm hoping to do his Y-DNA too at some point since I can't have Y-DNA done.

I have a Hungarian neighbor that translates for me. She said his last name isn't a typical Hungarian name so I'd really like to find out about it.

Quote:
What I've been doing with matches I can't figure out, I ask them to upload to the free sites. I give them the link to my //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 thread; telling them My Heritage gives free family matching, ethnicity, chromosome browser, surnames and family trees (when available). FTDNA gives free family matching; for $19 you can get ethnicity and chromosome browser. GEDmatdh and GEDmatch Genesis give free family matching, ethnicity and have some cool tools to play around with.

I also tell them that I have matches on My Heritage that I do not have anywhere else. I have a lot of people from other countries. I haven't played around with FTDNA much, still have not paid for the chromosome browser, it's coming in the near future. I bought a Y-DNA test for my uncle there and will buy one for my Hungarian cousin eventually too. He's not sure if he wants to do DNA yet.

You should try to find out more about your match before using the free trial. Also try building out your tree as much as you can, both at Ancestry and family search. Family search is great for free records.

Edit - Have you clicked common matches?

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-28-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 AM

Thx, stickman07738. Very interesting charts. I hope to find out more soon.

Roselvr, wow, I didn't know about those other sites. I'll check them out. How do you find common matches? And I thought you had to join Ancestry in order to find out more info? Just looked at family search, and it's really cool! They even show the written census. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy