Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

Two ladies had their dna tests done. They found out that they had been switched at birth 70+ years earlier. No one knew it. Two 72-year-old women discover they were switched at birth | Daily Mail Online

One mother is still alive, but has dementia. No one knows what happened. I guess maybe if the mom or something during birth, she might not recognize she had the wrong baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Back then many women were put to sleep (anesthetized) during childbirth in a hospital. Would not have seen child until after she woke up. Husbands were not allowed in the room.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:42 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Two ladies had their dna tests done. They found out that they had been switched at birth 70+ years earlier. No one knew it. Two 72-year-old women discover they were switched at birth | Daily Mail Online

One mother is still alive, but has dementia. No one knows what happened. I guess maybe if the mom or something during birth, she might not recognize she had the wrong baby.
I wonder how common it really was. There have to be more people living with the wrong family.

I'm trying to tell me MIL's nephew that he should test his mom before he loses the chance. For some reason his DNA doesn't match a known line that my son and MIL do. Told him the only way to see the different DNA his mom got then her sister is to test.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Wow what a gut-wrench that must have been and yet validation for the feeling that you don't fit into your family.
I had that "don't fit in" feeling since teenage years but since I look like both parents that was not possible and yes have confirmed through a 3rd cousin match at 23andme that I am related to my Dad's side.

The fact that my match is paternal removes the question of whether my father wasn't my genetic father. He was.
But I am different in many, many ways even though I have physical similarities.

23andme and other similar businesses make it possible for new parents to swab their baby's cheek as soon as they get home and get assurance they got the right child (God help the mama who fooled around). The wife of a OBY doc told me 30 years ago that when she gave birth she put her own ID on her baby ASAP, I think it was an ankle band ID which would be hidden unless baby unwrapped. She was a former nurse so I'm guessing she had some idea that this was a possibility. She had 3 babies. Way before DNA swabbing was possible.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
This is actually something that still happens now. When my daughter was born in 1982 the nurse brought me the wrong baby, and she brought my daughter to the woman in the bed next to mine. The woman next to me didn't seem to notice and I could hear my daughter screaming and crying while the woman tried to breast feed her. I KNEW I had the wrong baby because my daughter is Caucasian and had light hair. This baby brought to me had black hair and a light brown skin color. The nurse tried to argue with me! She finally checked the identification bracelets. After that I insisted that my baby was staying with me, which was not normal procedure at that time. They finally caved and brought in a baby bed.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:55 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
This is actually something that still happens now. When my daughter was born in 1982 the nurse brought me the wrong baby, and she brought my daughter to the woman in the bed next to mine. The woman next to me didn't seem to notice and I could hear my daughter screaming and crying while the woman tried to breast feed her. I KNEW I had the wrong baby because my daughter is Caucasian and had light hair. This baby brought to me had black hair and a light brown skin color. The nurse tried to argue with me! She finally checked the identification bracelets. After that I insisted that my baby was staying with me, which was not normal procedure at that time. They finally caved and brought in a baby bed.
Good thing they had some sort of system back then with putting bands on babies in the delivery room. I had my son in 85, had thought they switched him at some point too. His hospital photo didn't look exactly like him. I had him during storm Gloria, there were many women that had babies early (including me). I know he is mine, looks exactly like me, DNA matches, so if his pics were another baby, they figured it out.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Four years ago I went to Emergency and at the triage desk handed over a letter hastily written by my family doctor. There was no question about my being admitted. An identification bracelet was printed and placed on my wrist. I was sent back to the seating area to wait. I looked at the bracelet and was surprised to see that it was completely blank - nothing printed on it at all. I don’t know what happened. I told a nurse. A baby can’t do that.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Four years ago I went to Emergency and at the triage desk handed over a letter hastily written by my family doctor. There was no question about my being admitted. An identification bracelet was printed and placed on my wrist. I was sent back to the seating area to wait. I looked at the bracelet and was surprised to see that it was completely blank - nothing printed on it at all. I don’t know what happened. I told a nurse. A baby can’t do that.
I had a long series of in-hospital treatments, with a new wrist band every day. I could see how a rushed ER nurse could print a band (usually a sticker that goes on a band, with a clear adhesive cover) and then accidentally grab a blank one. In theory, only one baby at any time would have a blank band, making sorting-out a bit easier. We hope.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 PM

159 posts, read 225,932 times
Wow, interesting discussion.

I have a question, and I think I had a surprise with Ancestry.com... It states that this man, JDS, is close family, 1st cousins, confidence: extremely high. He's a year older than I am. I've never heard of this name before and there isn't anyone in my family with his last name. Well, I looked up his name and my mother's name and they both appeared online in a small city in PA about a year before I was born. Meanwhile she was married to my dad at the time with 2 boys. Could she have been separated and had an affair with JDS's father? I've seen half siblings say that they show up as 1st cousins. I do realize this sounds far fetched, but I don't know what other explanation it could be. Any ideas?? Thx

Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
Wow, interesting discussion.

I have a question, and I think I had a surprise with Ancestry.com... It states that this man, JDS, is close family, 1st cousins, confidence: extremely high. He's a year older than I am. I've never heard of this name before and there isn't anyone in my family with his last name. Well, I looked up his name and my mother's name and they both appeared online in a small city in PA about a year before I was born. Meanwhile she was married to my dad at the time with 2 boys. Could she have been separated and had an affair with JDS's father? I've seen half siblings say that they show up as 1st cousins. I do realize this sounds far fetched, but I don't know what other explanation it could be. Any ideas?? Thx

I have a new 1st cousin. He was adopted as a baby. Some of my cousins & I believe this new cousin is a previously secret until now baby of their mother's-- born prior to her marriage. She is deceased. My cousins are in process of DNA testing.

Does this cousin match people from your Mother's side only? Unwed mothers often went to live with relatives or to an unwed mothers home in another area. Did your mother have sisters?

Last edited by historyfan; 06-22-2018 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy