Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:26 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbound44 View Post
For the love of God, don't send out you DNA to any of these sights. It is all a scam. How would you feel if your DNA sample was placed at a crime scene?
It's not a scam, and that's not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:14 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
At best, these DNA results are an estimate pinned down by a few fairly reasonable assumptions. The companies sometimes have different assumptions which might provide differences in results but usually they are on the same continent. People expect too much and are disappointed with "Northwest Europe" of "Eastern Mediterranean". Tribal groups are rarely identifiable. It might help to use some of the tools available at GedMatch but these are also estimates.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:24 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
The downside of this scam is that it's owned by the Mormon Church that wants names for baptism by proxy

https://www.quora.com/How-is-Ancestr...ter-day-Saints

Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The downside of this scam is that it's owned by the Mormon Church that wants names for baptism by proxy

https://www.quora.com/How-is-Ancestr...ter-day-Saints
Ancestry.com is NOT owned by the Mormon Church, and never has been. The original founders of Ancestry.com were Mormon, but that is not the same thing as being owned by the Mormon church, and in any case, they sold it a very long time ago. Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org do occasionally share data, but Ancestry.com also works with and shares data with lots of other organizations, companies, etc and that doesn't mean they are owned by them.

Stop spreading lies.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Ancestry.com is NOT owned by the Mormon Church, and never has been. The original founders of Ancestry.com were Mormon, but that is not the same thing as being owned by the Mormon church, and in any case, they sold it a very long time ago. Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org do occasionally share data, but Ancestry.com also works with and shares data with lots of other organizations, companies, etc and that doesn't mean they are owned by them.

Stop spreading lies.
Thanks for setting the record straight.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Son did the ancestry.com DNA test and we were all puzzled by what came back.

Husband's grandparents on both sides immigrated from a country that didn't even show up on his profile.

Scandinavian was a large part of his genetic profile, however none of us can recall any family history involving Scandinavian nations.

Realize that when you are dealt your particular genetic hand, some cards stay in the deck, but this made no sense.

However, it did match him up with a number of other relatives who had done the test.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
I did the Ancestry DNA test and I wasn't happy about the results? Why? Because I wanted my European to be higher than the Native American (Central American). I knew Native American was going to be in my result. I just wanted it to be low but instead it was 45% and 38%-40% European and the rest mixed with others. So 38% to 40% of European isn't even accurate since they are not even sure if it's 38% or 40% and I had to add all of them up from European countries and they did it by region on the 2% which included not only European countries. The test was accurate of knowing I am Salvadorian since my country was highlighted on a map on their site as part of the result explanation. The other problem is that it didn't tell me from what indigenous people that were in my country I am from... It's either going to be the Pipil or the Lencas. The Pipil were the last people in my country. I don't know if this means they were the only ones there in my entire country because when I look at a map it shows it depended on the region of the country and where I was born it shows the Lencas were there. I also do see others on the map but I never even heard of them and I didn't even know that the Lencas were living in El Salvador.
No DNA test will help you rewrite your genetic history. There is nothing wrong with having a higher percentage of Native American DNA unless you feel that this somehow diminishes you.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Son did the ancestry.com DNA test and we were all puzzled by what came back.

Husband's grandparents on both sides immigrated from a country that didn't even show up on his profile.
Most ethnicity reports don't narrow things down as specifically to the country (even if the title of the category is a country, if you look at the details, it probably covers surrounding areas too) because DNA is not bound by modern, political boarders.

Quote:
Scandinavian was a large part of his genetic profile, however none of us can recall any family history involving Scandinavian nations.

Realize that when you are dealt your particular genetic hand, some cards stay in the deck, but this made no sense.
There are two factors at play here - one is that the ethnicity report often represents about 1,000 years ago. I'm betting you don't know where all (if any) your son's ancestors were 1,000 year ago? In that context, who is to really say how accurate it is or not? But secondly, as I mentioned before, the ethnicity report is fairly accurate on a continental level, but sub-continental regions like within Europe are so intermixed that it can be difficult or impossible to always be able to tell them apart with consistent accuracy. Like I say, most ethnicity reports don't narrow it down to a specific country, and this is why. Take a look at AncestryDNA's average ethnicity for people native to each region: https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...gional-overlap - see how mixed most of them are, especially in Europe? Notice how both Great Britain and Europe West have a large chunk of Scandinavian? That's because the Vikings are descended from Germanic tribes, and they raided Britain. Does you son have British or Western Europe (like German) ancestry?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
If no DNA test is accurate or specific enough then none of them should even be done because they are misleading people. I thought they would at least give me the percentage of European right and the truth is I had to add up all of the European countries myself and the 2% difference was because for one region it included 2 European countries and the other 4 or 5 weren't European. Yet they gave me 45% Native American without me having to add up any percentages at all. I hate the fact I have 45% Native American in me. The most I wanted would be no more than 1% or none at all would be better so I wish I never took the test. All it did was lower myself esteem and is causing me depression.
You hate the fact that you have 45% Native American DNA????

WHY? Are you actually that much of a bigot?

Racists need to get over themselves. I'm not sorry that I have no sympathy for your NON-plight whatsoever.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
You hate the fact that you have 45% Native American DNA????

WHY? Are you actually that much of a bigot?

Racists need to get over themselves. I'm not sorry that I have no sympathy for your NON-plight whatsoever.

It is unfathomable to Americans but in some countries the caste system still exists...you are determined at birth to be a member of said class & that is where you are destined to remain regardless of your efforts.

I think OP is from a South American country that maintains such a system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy