Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:40 PM

28 posts, read 30,127 times

Advertisements

I did the Ancestry DNA test and I wasn't happy about the results? Why? Because I wanted my European to be higher than the Native American (Central American). I knew Native American was going to be in my result. I just wanted it to be low but instead it was 45% and 38%-40% European and the rest mixed with others. So 38% to 40% of European isn't even accurate since they are not even sure if it's 38% or 40% and I had to add all of them up from European countries and they did it by region on the 2% which included not only European countries. The test was accurate of knowing I am Salvadorian since my country was highlighted on a map on their site as part of the result explanation. The other problem is that it didn't tell me from what indigenous people that were in my country I am from... It's either going to be the Pipil or the Lencas. The Pipil were the last people in my country. I don't know if this means they were the only ones there in my entire country because when I look at a map it shows it depended on the region of the country and where I was born it shows the Lencas were there. I also do see others on the map but I never even heard of them and I didn't even know that the Lencas were living in El Salvador.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
No DNA test can provide the information you want.

Wanting to have a higher European component to the mixture is not going to make it happen. You will just have to learn to accept the results.

The percentages can never be precise, and they depend on the reference population you are being compared to. They are given as a range, not a precise number because that is the best that can be done with available comparison groups.

Testing with different companies will give slightly different results because the comparison populations will be different.

The Pipil and Lencas may not have enough genetic difference for the test to differentiate between them.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:28 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
I did the Ancestry DNA test and I wasn't happy about the results? Why? Because I wanted my European to be higher than the Native American (Central American). I knew Native American was going to be in my result. I just wanted it to be low but instead it was 45% and 38%-40% European and the rest mixed with others. So 38% to 40% of European isn't even accurate since they are not even sure if it's 38% or 40% and I had to add all of them up from European countries and they did it by region on the 2% which included not only European countries. The test was accurate of knowing I am Salvadorian since my country was highlighted on a map on their site as part of the result explanation. The other problem is that it didn't tell me from what indigenous people that were in my country I am from... It's either going to be the Pipil or the Lencas. The Pipil were the last people in my country. I don't know if this means they were the only ones there in my entire country because when I look at a map it shows it depended on the region of the country and where I was born it shows the Lencas were there. I also do see others on the map but I never even heard of them and I didn't even know that the Lencas were living in El Salvador.
You will never catch me falling for this con

I am an American! That's all I need to know.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
The ethnicity report is fairly accurate on a continental level - a range of only 38-40% is actually very specific. On a regional level, the percentages can range much, much more.

At this time, there is no DNA test that I am aware of that will specify Native American tribes. Not in percentages, anyway. You can upload your raw DNA data to Gedmatch and try Oracle results (under Admixture). They don't really include percentages but they may specify tribes - however, I just checked and none of them include Pipil or Lencas.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:00 AM

28 posts, read 30,127 times
If no DNA test is accurate or specific enough then none of them should even be done because they are misleading people. I thought they would at least give me the percentage of European right and the truth is I had to add up all of the European countries myself and the 2% difference was because for one region it included 2 European countries and the other 4 or 5 weren't European. Yet they gave me 45% Native American without me having to add up any percentages at all. I hate the fact I have 45% Native American in me. The most I wanted would be no more than 1% or none at all would be better so I wish I never took the test. All it did was lower myself esteem and is causing me depression.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
If no DNA test is accurate or specific enough then none of them should even be done because they are misleading people. I thought they would at least give me the percentage of European right and the truth is I had to add up all of the European countries myself and the 2% difference was because for one region it included 2 European countries and the other 4 or 5 weren't European. Yet they gave me 45% Native American without me having to add up any percentages at all. I hate the fact I have 45% Native American in me. The most I wanted would be no more than 1% or none at all would be better so I wish I never took the test. All it did was lower myself esteem and is causing me depression.
The test is incapable of telling you a precise breakdown of where your ancestors come from. All of the testing companies will explain that to you. The 2% difference is insignificant.

You are still the same person you were before you knew your results, are you not? No matter what the ethnicity of your ancestors was, without even just one of them you would not be here.

If you are depressed it would be a good idea to talk with a therapist.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
If no DNA test is accurate or specific enough then none of them should even be done because they are misleading people.
How are they misleading? Did they promise you they could narrow it done as specifically as what tribe you're from? Nope, they didn't. That was your assumption. Don't blame the company because you didn't do even a little bit of research on the product before purchasing it.

Quote:
I thought they would at least give me the percentage of European right and the truth is I had to add up all of the European countries myself and the 2% difference was because for one region it included 2 European countries and the other 4 or 5 weren't European. Yet they gave me 45% Native American without me having to add up any percentages at all.
That's because they have regional categories for Europe, but they do not for Native American. Are you really bent out of shape because you had a do some simple addition?

Quote:
I hate the fact I have 45% Native American in me. The most I wanted would be no more than 1% or none at all would be better so I wish I never took the test. All it did was lower myself esteem and is causing me depression.
Why? This comes across sounding a bit racist. What's wrong with being Native American? Most white Americans would love to have Native American ancestry.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:17 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Don't know where you live, but PA2UK is right. Most white Americans (from USA) would love to have Native American ancestry. it is seen as an honorable ancestry. Maybe it's different where you live. But either way, nobody needs to be ashamed of their ancestry. It's just who we came from. Nothing to do with living your life as a good, honorable person.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:38 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
About the which native group in a country with several native groups. Certain group may have specific habit or specific customs and if you talk to older/elderly family members they might have clues as to which of the groups is the one.
Another thing I read somewhere if siblings from same family get their DNA the variation in % found will be different between all brothers sisters I did not read further on this but it is interesting. So you might have a sibling who has more western dna%

Old 08-19-2018, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,278 times
What does it matter if you are 2% this or that. You can't change your heritage.

For the love of God, don't send out you DNA to any of these sights. It is all a scam. How would you feel if your DNA sample was placed at a crime scene?

Accept who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy