Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:37 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, it's not "just like Christian or Muslim" - Jewish people have genetic markers specifying them as Semitic, and it's more of an "ethnic group" than other religions. My brother had his/our DNA tested, and it came back as 93% Ashkenazi JEWISH. Would a Christian's results say they were genetically Christian?

Even if it weren't for those genetic markers, most consider it to be more of a cultural identity than your typical Christian... that's why people (like me) call themselves "secular Jewish" or "culturally Jewish," even if they don't ever attend synagogue. I thought this was fairly common knowledge by now, but I guess you don't get too many Jews in the Ozark Mountains. LOL
I am 5% Ashkenazi
as per my DNA test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, it's not "just like Christian or Muslim" - Jewish people have genetic markers specifying them as Semitic, and it's more of an "ethnic group" than other religions. My brother had his/our DNA tested, and it came back as 93% Ashkenazi JEWISH. Would a Christian's results say they were genetically Christian?

Even if it weren't for those genetic markers, most consider it to be more of a cultural identity than your typical Christian... that's why people (like me) call themselves "secular Jewish" or "culturally Jewish," even if they don't ever attend synagogue. I thought this was fairly common knowledge by now, but I guess you don't get too many Jews in the Ozark Mountains. LOL
Good Post.

What would you say if you were in my shoes ?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Jewish is a religion, just like Christian or Muslim.\
True, but they don't proselytize and actively discourage converts. Thus they are less genetically mixed than other ethnic groups tend to be.

And they are an ethnic group, not a race.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
OP, where were you born?

Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
My mother was born in Tel Aviv Israel. She is half turkish half greek. My father was Russian American. Both jewish.

Curious to know what YOU would say and how you would present yourself ?
Personally I don't like talking about religion with people, so I would just state that I am Russian, Turkish and Greek.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:06 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I am 5% Ashkenazi
as per my DNA test
Sooo... how did you not realize it (Judaism) has genetic components?

Old 08-19-2018, 05:07 PM

50,363 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I’m Swedish and English, not episcopal and Lutheran.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Good Post.

What would you say if you were in my shoes ?
I don't think anyone can answer that for you, since we all have our own sense of cultural identity - as proven by the variety of responses on this thread! But if that was MY background, I'd probably just call myself Mediterranean-Jewish by blood (American by birth).

If asked about my actual heritage, I usually say that I'm "Slavic-Jewish heritage, but third-generation American." And in my line of work this comes up frequently, since I run programs for and work directly with ESL learners. They're always curious about my background, especially since we get a LOT of folks from Russia and Ukraine! Telling them I have Slavic blood always elicits a positive response; but I make sure to mention the third-gen American part, mostly so they don't expect me to speak Russian.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-19-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m Swedish and English, not episcopal and Lutheran.
Yeah, but once again - Judaism has a MUCH different sense of cultural identity/heritage vs Christian denominations. It's hard to explain to a Gentile, but for us it's much more than a religion. It's usually a deeper part of who we are, even if we're not practicing, and gives us a sense of community with other Jewish people.

Honestly, if I had to pick one descriptor for myself it IS "Jewish." Of course I have pride in being American-born, but it's not as important to me as my Jewish heritage. Sorry if that offends anyone, but really I'm not that sorry. This would be kind of like asking why an African-American doesn't just call themselves "American," as though we have the right to shame someone for their distinct self-identity. We should not do that.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:19 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
op, where were you born?
nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy