Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,493,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
They say that Mexican isn't a race. I know, I get tired of hearing it though. Why? Because typically when someone looks like George Lopez or someone that looks Mexican, we can tell that they are hispanic. So they must all have some common race. I know that they say being Mexican isn't an ethnicity, but a nationality. I get it... But where do most of them come from? I don't like it when people try to correct your words when they know what you mean.
Mexico is a country. Are you at all aware of world history? There are some folks in Mexico who are of native ancestry. Some are mixed native and Spanish. There are Sephardic Jewish people whom were expelled from Spain. No, Mexican is not a race. Would you know, without being told, if George Lopez was Mexican, Puerto Rican, Salvadoran... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
I'm surprised so many grown ass adults don't know that Hispanic isn't a race. There's so much information about there about the ancestral background of Latin American people and I feel like this is a topic that gets discussed a lot.

I mean, you couldn't possibly think Canelo Alvarez and David Ortiz are the same race just because they're both Hispanic, right?

Old 08-23-2018, 06:26 AM

661 posts, read 879,987 times
Mexican is not a race. There are many people from different races living in Mexico.
Here is your typical mexican, Jorge Ramos from UNIVISION:

Old 08-23-2018, 06:57 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
He's hardly your typical Mexican. The vast majority of Mexicans are mixed Native American and Spanish Caucasian and do not have blue eyes. There certainly are Mexicans with blue eyes and look European but the majority do not. Ramos does not represent what a typical or average Mexican person living in Mexico looks like.

Last edited by marino760; 08-23-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 10:14 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
They say that Mexican isn't a race. I know, I get tired of hearing it though. Why? Because typically when someone looks like George Lopez or someone that looks Mexican, we can tell that they are hispanic. So they must all have some common race. I know that they say being Mexican isn't an ethnicity, but a nationality. I get it... But where do most of them come from? I don't like it when people try to correct your words when they know what you mean.
Someone that "looks" Mexican could be from a family line that originated in many parts of the world, not just Mexico. Central and south America, Spain, Portugal, Italy, just to name a few..... Deciding things about someone based on how they look and your personal perception of race is.. Ahem. Inaccurate *at best*.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
He's hardly your typical Mexican. The vast majority of Mexicans are mixed Native American and Spanish Caucasian and do not have blue eyes. There certainly are Mexicans with blue eyes and look European but the majority do not. Ramos does not represent what a typical or average Mexican person living in Mexico looks like.
Whooosh!

I think they were using Ramos as an exception proving the rule.

Ramos does not look typically Mexican, but typical "Mexican looks" does not provide the basis for a race anymore than typical American looks constitute an "American race".

Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
There is so much ignorance in this post.

There are many, many white Mexicans, they just don’t tend to be the ones you see immigrating to the US as much. Or you’ve met some, and you had no idea, because you think you know what a Mexican looks like.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:24 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Mexico is a country. Are you at all aware of world history? There are some folks in Mexico who are of native ancestry. Some are mixed native and Spanish. There are Sephardic Jewish people whom were expelled from Spain. No, Mexican is not a race. Would you know, without being told, if George Lopez was Mexican, Puerto Rican, Salvadoran... ?
This is the problem. Seems our schools have failed several generations on history lessons. So many have no idea. I see this also on the 23&Me forum, and the questions come up from all over the world.

The OP was ASKING -- that's a good thing.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM

661 posts, read 879,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Whooosh!

I think they were using Ramos as an exception proving the rule.

Ramos does not look typically Mexican, but typical "Mexican looks" does not provide the basis for a race anymore than typical American looks constitute an "American race".
That was my point...!!
Thanks !

Old 08-23-2018, 05:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
i would say the native mexican from the native indian is just as much as a race as the black community, by saying its not a race then the africian american is not a race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy