Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I made the mistake of going with 23andme too, it has hardly any tools, everyone in the know said go with Ancestry, I almost didnt as I figured it was just duplicating the 23andme, but I did it and it has a LOT more, including connections to various databases and archives, records etc and you can put up a visual TREE.
Yes, Ancestry.com is a genealogy website first and foremost, whereas 23andMe are not, and they don't pretend to be. They will never have records/documents, etc. They used to host trees/gedcoms but not anymore. 23andMe are geared more towards health and ethnicity, not the genealogy side of it. It just depends what you're looking for.

Quote:
It was Ancestry that connected my bio parents and cousins to me, 23andme was useless
If your bio parents didn't test with 23andMe then they couldn't connect you with them. Not really their fault if the specific people you're looking for didn't test with them. 23andMe will have connected you with hundreds of bio cousins IF you opted into matching, but as discussed, since they don't host trees, it is difficult to identify how you relate to those cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 04:53 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
23andme chip v5 can now be uploaded to MyHeritage.
It says it's free, but is it really? No catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I made the mistake of going with 23andme too, it has hardly any tools, everyone in the know said go with Ancestry, I almost didnt as I figured it was just duplicating the 23andme, but I did it and it has a LOT more, including connections to various databases and archives, records etc and you can put up a visual TREE.
It was Ancestry that connected my bio parents and cousins to me, 23andme was useless
23andMe was much better a few years ago. Couple years ago they dumbed it down, got rid of a lot of cool features. Not sure why. To make it easier to see with a smartphone? Don't know, but it's never been the same.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:31 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,775,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

23andMe was much better a few years ago. Couple years ago they dumbed it down, got rid of a lot of cool features. Not sure why. To make it easier to see with a smartphone? Don't know, but it's never been the same.
It was totally free! And I found a lot of matches (many who didn't answer me, of course). But the nice thing is that many of the matches have trees, so you can peruse their trees before contacting them.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It was totally free! And I found a lot of matches (many who didn't answer me, of course). But the nice thing is that many of the matches have trees, so you can peruse their trees before contacting them.
Totally, 100% free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yes, it's totally free! I think the only "catch" is they need our DNA to make their database larger. Please make sure you upload if you're interested because they will be charging for uploads starting in December, the 1st I believe PA2UK said. Their DNA site is superior to all the others. They give matches by country, chromosome browser and you can select 5 people to compare chromosome browser results; they give surnames and trees when available. Just follow the directions in my thread linked below. Scroll to Now to the DNA; I will also copy it below for you; will include backing up your family tree GEDcom file. One word of caution; on free accounts you can only have 200 people in your tree; so I suggest making a basic tree or only include the relatives you hit a brick wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Ancestry DNA then upload to the free sites My Heritage, FTDNA, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis and Wegene. See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Updated with more links
Family Tree Sites and GEDcom Files - Back up your family tree to upload to other sites

Ancestry - go to your family tree, next click the name of your tree in the top left corner, you'll see tree settings, click on it. On the right side you'll see a white box with Your home person in this tree; Your home person in this tree; Hint preferences; Manage your tree - Export your family tree data, as a GEDCOM file, to your computer, the GEDcom download will take a few seconds to generate.

My Heritage - Go to your profile, At the top it says home, family tree, discoveries, DNA, photos, research; mouse over family tree you'll see import GEDcom and manage trees, click manage trees, on the far right under actions you'll see export to GEDcom. My Heritage is limited with free family tree accounts. I have 203 people in my tree, it's telling me I have reached the maximum and will have to pay to add more people.

Family Tree DNA FTDNA - Log into FTDNA, you'll be on the main page that shows Welcome to myFTDNA with your account info in the left box, you can't miss where it says family tree; which you click then upload GEDcom is right there.

Family Search Scroll down on the main page, you'll see Do You Have a GEDCOM File? Preserve and Share Your Family Tree. You'll then see Submit Your Tree. To submit your tree, you must sign in or register with FamilySearch.org. What does it mean to submit your family tree? When you submit your family tree, you can upload a GEDCOM file so that others can search it on FamilySearch.org. This process replaces the Share My Genealogy feature that was used to submit information to the Pedigree Resource File (PRF). It then goes more into detail. Family Search trees are public trees, which I only recently found out. They do protect living people so only you will be able to see the info you add but I'm unsure exactly what others see so it's on my list of things to check out.

wikitree is a public tree. It's a community of genealogists trying to connect the world on one tree. I have not spent much time on wikitree so I can't really say anything about it except it's a decent place to get info for your own tree, but from experience you have to make sure you check what they have because it could be incorrect. There is a relative of my son's family there who has a lot of wrong information. I left comments on some of the profiles that have wrong info, she has not fixed it yet. I've emailed her asking to be on the safe list for the relatives because some are set to private, she hasn't answered. I haven't had time to go back to wikitree to each relatives profile to ask to be put on the safe list for each of the relatives we share. From what I see you have to sign up to volunteer before they'll let you do anything such as edit incorrect info.

Now to the DNA

Where should you test? I personally suggest Ancestry because of their family tree feature. I have not done 23 and me yet, last I read it was on a new chip that can't be uploaded to all of the sites except Genesis. Once you get your DNA raw results at Ancestry, upload to My Heritage for free ethnicity, family matching, chromosome browser, surnames and family trees when available. FTDNA gives free family matching and for a small fee (under $20) you can get chromosome browser and ethnicity. Also GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis for free ethnicity and family matching. Please note, it is a public site where law enforcement have been using. I personally use nicknames for my 6 samples and do not have a family tree GEDcom file. My email also does not use my name, it goes to "Rose Lover".

For anyone needing advice on which DNA test to buy, see the blog post by PA2UK
Which DNA Test Should I Buy? A Comprehensive DNA Buying Guide

Quote:
Ancestry DNA - How to access and download your autosomal DNA results once you're ready to upload to other sites.

1. Navigate to the Ancestry.com website homepage.
2. In the upper-right corner, click Sign In to display the sign in window.
3. In the Username or email field, enter your username or email.
4. In the Password field, enter your password.
5. Click Sign In. Your Ancestry home page is displayed.
6. On the menu bar, click DNA > Your DNA Results Summary. The AncestryDNA home page is displayed.
7. On the right side of the page, click Settings. Your Test Settings page is displayed.
8. Scroll down the page.
9. On the right side of the page, in the Download your raw DNA data section, click Get Started. The Download your raw DNA data window is displayed.
10. Enter your password in the empty field.
11. Click Confirm. A window requesting that you check your email is displayed.
12. Check your email for an email from AncestryDNA with the subject line Your request to download AncestryDNA raw data.
13. In the email, click Confirm Data Download. You will be redirected to the Ancestry.com website.
14. Enter your username or email and password in the appropriate fields, and click Sign In. The Download DNA Raw Data page is displayed.
15. Click Download DNA Raw Data to download your raw data file. Note where you save the file on your computer

23andme Accessing your Raw Data

FTDNA Accessing your Raw Data to upload to GEDmatch

23 and me offers 2 tests, one for family finder ($99) and another for health ($200). If you do the family finder without health and you're interested in doing the health later on it will cost you an extra $25 so be aware of that. They do not support uploads from other sites. 23 and me uses a new chip that can only be uploaded to GEDmatch Genesis. If anyone wants to get their moneys worth, use ancestry. If your sample won't upload there is an online fixer tool

Ancestry DNA - costs $99 plus $10 shipping. They do not allow uploads from other companies. Tests normally go on sale mothers and father's day, black Friday $69 and the Christmas holiday $79. I have a coupon code in my 1st post here I believe where it's $89 but you have to add the $10 shipping to it. It's very easy to buy more tests to add it to the people in your tree.

Family Tree DNA costs $79 or you can transfer your Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me autosomal DNA data to discover new matches for free. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I haven't done it yet. I plan to do it at some point so I can get the experience. I have directions on how to upload multiple raw data files at FTDNA in case anyone gets stuck. Once you have the 1st one uploaded and have electronically signed it, logout of FamilyTreeDNA, then select the drop down box "DNA Tests" and select the "Autosomal Transfer". Fill out First Name and Last name of the person who's test you will be uploading and select if they are male or female and then enter your email address if you are the person who will administer this account. It will then assign you a new kit number and email you a new password for the kit. Then it will proceed to the upload DNA page. Make sure you look for the password email. You're going to get one for each sample you upload. You have to upload your family tree GEDcom file for each sample which is a pain in the butt but over all it's been a good experience. Directions page in case anyone needs it.

My Heritage DNA is normally $99 but they're selling it for $79. They're a new company so you may not get many matches. I didn't have many matches until recently. Their database has really grown.. They allow free uploads from Ancestry, 23 and me and FTDNA. June 2017 - New, they now give free ethnicity estimates. I won a kit from My Heritage for a founders project. They were interested in me because my family has lived in Hungary for a long time. I got my ethnicity report from it, I'm 96.3% East European and 3.7% Italian. It took 6 months, they wouldn't release it until they were done analyzing data from everyone that was in the project. They did give me DNA matches, I only have 5 where on FTDNA and Ancestry I have a lot more. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. They're also going to add a surname feature where they will give surnames at some point. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

My Heritage has a lot of neat features they recently added. I'll post a link to their newest blog about it
Introducing the New DNA Match Review Page

My Heritage free kits to adoptees and birth family - For any adoptees, my heritage is giving away free tests, you only have to apply. It's called DNA Quest main site
DNA Quest application

WeGene, - gives ethnicity for free as well as haplogroup. I'm still learning the site. 23andme's V5 chip now has been supported by WeGene. Users who tested with 23andme after August and uploaded your data shall have access to your ancestry composition analysis and others

GEDmatch Genesis Also be sure to upload to here too as it is separate from GEDmatch. Right now it's beta, eventually it will be merged with GEDmatch. IT contains results from the major 3 as well as results from 24 Genetics, Atlas, Complete Genomics, DNA Land, Full Genomes, Gencove, Gene By Gene, Genes For Good, Genos, GPS Originas, HGDP (Stanford), Living DNA, NatGeo, Oxford (FTDNA), We Gene, YSEQ, and some labs that a few of my matches used; Parabon, Dante Labs, Whole Genome and other sites that are not supported with regular GEDmatch. It also says there are more accurate matching tools.

GEDmatch where you can upload both your DNA and a GEDcom file; look for matches and do all sorts of things with finding out your ethnicity that's more involved then any of the other companies. They go back to hunter-gatherer. GEDmatch upload in case you can't find it. It only takes a few minutes to upload the DNA, then you can play around with the tools. Full results will come in a day or 2. I have not spent much time here so can't go into more detail on the matches. There are tutorials on DNA matching that I have not read yet. Click here to register

To get the break down on your ethnicity, see below GEDmatch Heritage Tool

GEDmatch Tools for DNA and Genealogy Research -
Analyze Your Data
'One-to-one' compare
X 'One-to-one'
Admixture (heritage) - Eurogenes and other admixture utilities
Admixture/Oracle with Population Search
Phasing
People who match one or both of 2 kits Updated
Predict Eye Color
Are your parents related?
3D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA matches
Multiple Kit Analysis NEW
DNA File Diagnostic Utility

GEDmatch Heritage Tool
copy your DNA sample number, go to Admixture (heritage), select project, Eurogenes. Next page, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number: Select the 'calculator' model to use: Eurogenes K13, Enter your Ethnicity: you'll then get the graph, Eurogenes K13 Admixture Proportions; under the populations on the left, you'll see oracle and oracle -4
Here's a basic intro guide to gedmatch's admixture calculators: Genealogical Musings: Finally! A Gedmatch Admixture Guide!

Near East Neolithic K13 - select Admixture (heritage), Select the project GedrosiaDNA, Select how you want to process it: Admixture Proportions (With link to Oracle); Enter your kit number; Select the 'calculator' model to use: Near East Neolithic K13

DNA Land - free upload of raw data. See the Frequently Asked Questions to see what you can do and directions to upload multiple raw data files from other relatives

Q - I have consent from a number of my family members to upload their DNA files/I have DNA files from all three of the companies, but I only have one email address. Is there anyway I can make multiple accounts with one email? (top)
A - We can currently handle a single genotype file per user/account as part of the consent process. But, if you are able to use a Gmail account, there is a trick that will allow you to create all your accounts using one email address. Say that your Gmail address is dna.land.user@gmail.com. To upload another family member (say your mother) to DNA.Land, create an account with the email dna.land.user+mom@gmail.com. Though it may look weird, DNA.Land will accept this as a valid email account. When we send the validation email to dna.land.user+mom@gmail.com, Google will redirect the message to YOUR account (dna.land.user@gmail.com). You can do that for as many genomes as you’d like, all under one Gmail account

Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,935,871 times
If one wants to upload raw DNA to My Heritage and were tested on both 23andme and Ancestry which one would you select to download and then upload to My Heritage? Does it really make a difference which one I upload? Is one more reliable than the other?

I only tested on 23and me and uploaded my 23and me to MyHeritage. My husband got his Ancestry before 23and me so we uploaded his Ancestry to MH. Now we have another family member that tested on both and not sure which one they should use. I have seen where some matches look to have uploaded both on places like Gedmatch and Genesis and sometimes the numbers are slightly different (but still close).

Last edited by NRaleigh Mom; 10-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
If one wants to upload raw DNA to My Heritage and were tested on both 23andme and Ancestry which one would you select to download and then upload to My Heritage? Does it really make a difference which one I upload? Is one more reliable than the other?

I only tested on 23and me and uploaded my 23and me to MyHeritage. My husband got his Ancestry before 23and me so we uploaded his Ancestry to MH. Now we have another family member that tested on both and not sure which one they should use. I have seen where some matches look to have uploaded both on places like Gedmatch and Genesis and sometimes the numbers are slightly different (but still close).
I believe Ancestry.com is the better choice as their raw file contains more markers than 23andMe, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

You can combine the raw data files and then try uploading: https://www.xcode.life/23andme-raw-d...aw-data-files/

Alternatively, you could always upload both separately.

AncestryDNA chip v2 has 641,908 SNPs. 23andMe chip v5 has 630,132 SNPs. That's not a big difference. However, they only share about 149,394 SNPs, which means if you combine them it would total 973,252 SNPs.

We can't really know how much of that will apply to MyHeritage's reference panel for their ethnicity report, and I am not completely sure how they deal with differing data from other companies. MyHeritage's own test includes 702,442 SNPs - their overlap with Ancestry v2 is 411,075, and with 23andMe v5 is only 162,602. So it sounds like AncestryDNA's raw data is much more similar to MyHeritage than 23andMe and therefore might be more compatible.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I've been considering doing a AncestryDNA test. Mainly because I've been bombarded with $69 offers. Evidently it has sparked my interest. I'm just not sure if it, can tell me much I don't already know. All my relatives on both sides, back to at least great grandparents were born in Ireland.

Is there much advantage to the tests when that's the case.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:45 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've been considering doing a AncestryDNA test. Mainly because I've been bombarded with $69 offers. Evidently it has sparked my interest. I'm just not sure if it, can tell me much I don't already know. All my relatives on both sides, back to at least great grandparents were born in Ireland.

Is there much advantage to the tests when that's the case.
I opened my gmail to see an email from Ancestry DNA saying it's $69 ending today so it's the perfect time to order it if you're considering doing it. It doesn't go on sale for that low too often.

After you get it back you can upload to the free sites; see my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844 then you can also join ethnic FB groups such as one for Irish DNA where they take your GEDmatch results to match against others in the group. If they have their tree done they may end up giving you a few branches you don't know about. Each site has different family matches which could unlock new family lines. You won't know until you do your DNA.

My Heritage is also free until December 1st for uploads, they give a lot of stuff. See my thread if you're interested in learning more. You should be able to get your DNA back in time to upload free if you buy a test today. //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...ng-upload.html

Old 10-21-2018, 12:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
I did 23 and me when it first came out.

Would Ancestry DNA tell me more about the region my English ancestors lived? Somewhere between Leeds and Liverpool, but that's a big area. Would like to narrow it down somehow. TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy