Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting on the bold. Makes me wonder about the 2nd cousin I mentioned who matches this new one.

Our "most recent common ancestor" are my grandfather's 2nd great grandparents - the Enos family I mentioned. Her great grandmother is great aunt of my grandfather. She married a man (surname Grinage). Interestingly, the sister of the Grinage man she married also married one of my grandfather's great auncles. We have two sets of siblings who married other sets of siblings on this line. I have many of these on my tree.

I actually do think this new match may be a similar sort of scenario based upon matching both families but it makes me wonder if there is a term for cousins you are related to on two lines. I have a lot of them with my FPOC ancestry (endogamy I guess is a good term) because these families often married into each others families. The family I mentioned who has a very interesting history - 3 pairs of siblings married each other from the same families. It is really hard to sort out my direct lines on this particular family past the 1700s even though there is a lot of info on the family itself because of so much inter-marriage of cousins and them naming each other after each other all the time.
I have wondered this as well because my tree is littered with cousins I'm related to on two and even three lines. Five of my second great grandparents were in cousin marriages.

So far, I haven't found a term for it. Don't think there really is one.

I also wonder which degree of cousinship takes precedence when its different through each line.

My maternal grandparents were cousins and didn't even know it. I think this is fairly common for small towns and also where you had families/neighbors that migrated together.

Contrary to what I always believed, many of these lines were very successful, long lived and produced lots of children who survived infancy. Most if not all of them were 1st cousins with a few degrees of removal or 2nd cousin or further.

But, you're right, it can be a mess to sort them out especially when they use the same naming pattern for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
I actually do think this new match may be a similar sort of scenario based upon matching both families but it makes me wonder if there is a term for cousins you are related to on two lines. I have a lot of them with my FPOC ancestry (endogamy I guess is a good term) because these families often married into each others families.
It's called endogamy when you have more than one line from the same population that intermarries among itself a lot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogamy

Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Sisters marrying brothers helped me break down a brick wall by pointing to the maiden name of a several times great grandmother.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
New entry in non-response. I don't think this person is even a DNA match...but she has put together a tree of 42k (why even?) and she has my father's line COMPLETELY wrong. She logs in daily. I checked to see if she had changed it and didn't respond, but no changes at all. She has my paternal grandfather dying 24 years after her did and his father being someone I have never heard of before. If I hadn't had all this info confirmed I would really be questioning my work. Just another reason to check your sources.

Makes me wonder if this is a particular person who has about 3 lines of my family in their 40k plus individual tree....

I sent them a message once about inconsistencies in their tree and they went on a tirade at my question and sent me about 20 messages within a 10 minute period so I blocked them and put my tree on private for a while after that.

There are 2 folks on ancestry - this nutty person and another who have a lot of people on their trees with a lot of incorrect information. I get sad about it because I know new researchers are probably using leaf hints from those trees about my ancestral lines and copying over incorrect info that will mess up any serious research.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Makes me wonder if this is a particular person who has about 3 lines of my family in their 40k plus individual tree....

I sent them a message once about inconsistencies in their tree and they went on a tirade at my question and sent me about 20 messages within a 10 minute period so I blocked them and put my tree on private for a while after that.

There are 2 folks on ancestry - this nutty person and another who have a lot of people on their trees with a lot of incorrect information. I get sad about it because I know new researchers are probably using leaf hints from those trees about my ancestral lines and copying over incorrect info that will mess up any serious research.
User name starts with Katherine. If it is the same person let me know. I haven't heard back from her, still and the tree is still wrong. I agree, it would be horrible for someone who is just starting to latch on to the misinformation. There are several 1st cousins 1 or 2 times removed that have their small tree on ancestry and know that my large tree is out there. I just hope that none of the other cousins start and find this tree and start rethinking their whole life because one person has this misinformation.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:39 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I have a DNA match who I interacted with a few times in the past via Ancestry.com. She was one of my few African American DNA matches who had over 1,000+ people in her family tree (most African American matches I come across have a few dozen, if that . . . I have about 400 people in my tree). There were clearly some common relatives in her tree. In the two or three messages we shared, she made it clear that she had obituaries and other photographs of some people in both of our family trees. When I requested if she would share those photos/obituaries (they are all of people who are deceased), she stopped responding. I sent her a couple of messages, but still no answer, even though she was logging in every day.

Fast forward a couple of years later and I receive a message from her via Ancestry. Its the same profile, but her tree now has significantly less people in it (like thousands of fewer people, which leads me to think that something catastrophic happened to her first tree and she has to rebuild from scratch). Ancestry apparently deletes messages in your inbox after a while (I had no incoming message activity from her even though we'd messaged in the past, and I had to search my outbox to confirm that this was, in fact, the same profile), so she emails me thinking that this is the first time we're making contact. She is requesting that I share access to my tree with her (my tree is not private and I will not make it private, but I gather that she can't view it as she is not a paying member) so that she can look at my pictures, etc., to help with her research I was tempted to do so, but am decided against it due to her prior behavior. This just goes to show that you need to treat people as you want to be treated as you never know when you'll end up needing something from them.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I wasn't speaking of their profile picture, I was speaking of shared ancestor. My mother's cousin made a book of photos when I was in elementary school and she dug up some photos of my great-great grandparents. I finally got around to adding them to the tree and she snagged them, without even a hello. I am the only one with the photo. If I grab a personal photo from someone I will send a message and introduce myself. I did that with a guy who is a 5th-6th cousin (can trace from his tree to me) and not a single response. He, like the other contact, log in regularly.

So update on my photo snatcher. She is Swedish and does not speak English. I used google translate (so I'm assuming a very poor translation) to reach out to her. I sent a few follow-up messages and finally got a very just "ugh" worthy response that basically said that she doesn't have time to respond to all the messages she gets and that "it was my turn to get help." So, I asked her about an ancestor that doesn't have any extra information attached to him and didn't get a response. I followed up last weekend and nothing.

I've also sent several messages to people about a shared Irish ancestor and haven't gotten a single response. Some log in regularly, others don't.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:59 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
So update on my photo snatcher. She is Swedish and does not speak English. I used google translate (so I'm assuming a very poor translation) to reach out to her. I sent a few follow-up messages and finally got a very just "ugh" worthy response that basically said that she doesn't have time to respond to all the messages she gets and that "it was my turn to get help." So, I asked her about an ancestor that doesn't have any extra information attached to him and didn't get a response. I followed up last weekend and nothing.

I've also sent several messages to people about a shared Irish ancestor and haven't gotten a single response. Some log in regularly, others don't.
Ancestry updated their messaging system so that now we can see if the no response people are reading them. I went thru every message I've sent because they also did away with the sent folder, they were all read. I've actually lost some messages in the update.

I had contacted one gal that I matched on my mothers mothers side, it's one of 2 relatives; we matched at both 23 and me and ancestry. I reached out to her because her profile says to contact her because she'd love contact. Well I don't know why she's reading and not replying but I'm tempted to copy and paste what her profile says to contact her and tell her she should remove it because obviously she doesn't want contact.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Ancestry updated their messaging system so that now we can see if the no response people are reading them. I went thru every message I've sent because they also did away with the sent folder, they were all read. I've actually lost some messages in the update.

I had contacted one gal that I matched on my mothers mothers side, it's one of 2 relatives; we matched at both 23 and me and ancestry. I reached out to her because her profile says to contact her because she'd love contact. Well I don't know why she's reading and not replying but I'm tempted to copy and paste what her profile says to contact her and tell her she should remove it because obviously she doesn't want contact.
The sent folder is still there for my account

Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The sent folder is still there for my account
Same for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy