Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 03:30 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The sent folder is still there for my account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Same for me.
I just looked on the mobile app, mobile chrome and Firefox on my computer, no more sent box. The only option I have is to see all messages. Guess I'll make a new thread to see who has it and who doesn't because I'm curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 11:24 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just looked on the mobile app, mobile chrome and Firefox on my computer, no more sent box. The only option I have is to see all messages. Guess I'll make a new thread to see who has it and who doesn't because I'm curious
Hmm, that's interesting. Was Firefox also via mobile device?

I wonder if this is a setting that's no longer available via mobile app, etc.

I'm using my laptop and can still access.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. Was Firefox also via mobile device?

I wonder if this is a setting that's no longer available via mobile app, etc.

I'm using my laptop and can still access.
Firefox is on my Windows 7 PC. I'm using chrome and the ancestry app on my cell phone and tablet, only an inbox with both; so no matter what device I use, I only have an inbox showing all messages.

Hopefully they're rolling this out to everyone eventually. I was one of the lucky ones to try it 1st. I hope they don't take it from me. I like seeing that people read my message. Very handy to have. It tells me what contacts are serious about working their tree.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:09 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Okay. So can we talk about the people who answer your message with little to no useful information and you ask for clarification or have follow-up questions and they just don't respond? I've had three or four people respond with interesting feedback. Here's what I've gotten recently:

1. Oh, that's so cool we're related, how do you think we are related? I'd love to figure it out! (This one would have been really promising because we live in the same city.....?)
2. Oh, it could be anything, but there's no DNA match! (But, I said in my message that my father is a match...)
3. No, we can't be a match because I KNOW my third great grandfather is my third great grandfather and your CONFIRMED research (from a professional local genealogist, mind you) isn't the same.
4. I'm doing this for my brother, so it could be that we're related....("do you have a tree or some names you could send me to see if I have any connection?"

Crickets....And these are all people who have logged in within the last few weeks. Not the ones that log in but never ever ever ever (in the tune of Lizzo's Truth hurts) log in.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Okay. So can we talk about the people who answer your message with little to no useful information and you ask for clarification or have follow-up questions and they just don't respond? I've had three or four people respond with interesting feedback. Here's what I've gotten recently:

1. Oh, that's so cool we're related, how do you think we are related? I'd love to figure it out! (This one would have been really promising because we live in the same city.....?)
2. Oh, it could be anything, but there's no DNA match! (But, I said in my message that my father is a match...)
3. No, we can't be a match because I KNOW my third great grandfather is my third great grandfather and your CONFIRMED research (from a professional local genealogist, mind you) isn't the same.
4. I'm doing this for my brother, so it could be that we're related....("do you have a tree or some names you could send me to see if I have any connection?"

Crickets....And these are all people who have logged in within the last few weeks. Not the ones that log in but never ever ever ever (in the tune of Lizzo's Truth hurts) log in.
You have some really thick headed matches. Wow.

#1 - LOL

#2 I'll say that the person probably reads but doesn't comprehend what they read or that they were rushing when they were reading LOL

#3 I haven't had one like that yet. The closest I have is that I had told my cousin that I thought his father was illegitimate. I explained how his grandmother lied that her maiden name wasn't what it said on his fathers marriage license and that maiden name was actually her mothers maiden name. I also told him that the father reported on the marriage license was actually our great grandfather and the biggest shocker, his last name isn't even right to be our great grandfathers last name because some how when his father came over it had letters added on to it. So my cousin and his siblings, some males, has a version of his grandmothers maiden name that's not correct. It's now on it's 3rd generation. If it was me, I'd have to petition the court to change it to the correct spelling and would talk it over with my kids. I'd rather have the correct last name. I give my cousin credit, he listened to everything I said then thought back to things that happened with his dad and it made sense to him that maybe his dad did know. I told him it's possible he really did not. Now he's on a quest to see if the birth certificate does say illegitimate. I give my cousin a lot of credit because I'm sure some people wouldn't even listen to anything I said. He's really appreciated that I gave him the relatives that I do know. Such a pleasure to talk to. Has to be my favorite cousin match that I've had!

You're #4 really takes the "no brains" trophy! Wow

Old 10-13-2019, 11:27 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You have some really thick headed matches. Wow.

#1 - LOL

#2 I'll say that the person probably reads but doesn't comprehend what they read or that they were rushing when they were reading LOL

#3 I haven't had one like that yet. The closest I have is that I had told my cousin that I thought his father was illegitimate. I explained how his grandmother lied that her maiden name wasn't what it said on his fathers marriage license and that maiden name was actually her mothers maiden name. I also told him that the father reported on the marriage license was actually our great grandfather and the biggest shocker, his last name isn't even right to be our great grandfathers last name because some how when his father came over it had letters added on to it. So my cousin and his siblings, some males, has a version of his grandmothers maiden name that's not correct. It's now on it's 3rd generation. If it was me, I'd have to petition the court to change it to the correct spelling and would talk it over with my kids. I'd rather have the correct last name. I give my cousin credit, he listened to everything I said then thought back to things that happened with his dad and it made sense to him that maybe his dad did know. I told him it's possible he really did not. Now he's on a quest to see if the birth certificate does say illegitimate. I give my cousin a lot of credit because I'm sure some people wouldn't even listen to anything I said. He's really appreciated that I gave him the relatives that I do know. Such a pleasure to talk to. Has to be my favorite cousin match that I've had!

You're #4 really takes the "no brains" trophy! Wow
For number 3 there are two guys with the same name in the area at the same time. I strongly believe mine is the one documented. I'm not sure if her's is the same or if it's someone different. I've gone down the "same guy with the same name in the same town living at the same time" rabbit hole with another ancestor (surprisingly also on my mom's side alive around the same time) that really put a stop to some research because the other guy died in 1925 but mine really died in 1961. Either way, I just want to bang my head against a wall for all four of these people.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
For number 3 there are two guys with the same name in the area at the same time. I strongly believe mine is the one documented. I'm not sure if her's is the same or if it's someone different. I've gone down the "same guy with the same name in the same town living at the same time" rabbit hole with another ancestor (surprisingly also on my mom's side alive around the same time) that really put a stop to some research because the other guy died in 1925 but mine really died in 1961. Either way, I just want to bang my head against a wall for all four of these people.
That would drive me nuts too, especially when they don't listen to you but you really can't do more then you have because they're not receptive to it like my cousin is

Old 10-16-2019, 12:26 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
My mother was “adopted” but probably raised by extended family or acquaintance rather than a legal adoption. I was hoping my DNA matches would show me who her parents were. I think I have figured out who her mother was and a surname for her father. But I can’t get any of my DNA matches with those surnames to respond. I have multiple second and third cousins by DNA who also have those surnames in their family trees.

I don’t find any marriage record so really wonder if my mom’s father was married to someone else and she was a secret. Maybe no one knows anything. But a response would be nice. I’m related to these people in some way; I’d just like to figure out how.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My mother was “adopted” but probably raised by extended family or acquaintance rather than a legal adoption. I was hoping my DNA matches would show me who her parents were. I think I have figured out who her mother was and a surname for her father. But I can’t get any of my DNA matches with those surnames to respond. I have multiple second and third cousins by DNA who also have those surnames in their family trees.

I don’t find any marriage record so really wonder if my mom’s father was married to someone else and she was a secret. Maybe no one knows anything. But a response would be nice. I’m related to these people in some way; I’d just like to figure out how.
If they have linked trees to their account, you can expand those trees through research.
Do you have a copy of your Mother's birth certificate? Baptismal records can also yield clues.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Who's DNA have you done, yours or her or both and where do you have it? Are you uploaded to My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch for free family matching? You may even luck out more at 23 and me, some do. My matches suck there. My best matches are ancestry followed by My Heritage. GEDmatch hasn't really done anything for me match wise. You really have to fish in all the ponds with both of your DNA. //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844

I agree with historyfan. Do you have her birth certificate? Is she adopted in a state that now gives record access? Let us know the state.

Also have you checked any of the old registries? Historyfan and I have helped find a few birth parents. I've found my brother in 2004 at an adoption reunion registry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy