Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That might have been the minimum age of marriage with consent of parents/guardians, but I doubt very much it was the min age without consent.

Here is the whole article. Somewhere in it mentions ages of consent, which was a shocker.

Law, Children and the - Early America, After the Revolution, Industrial America, Liberal America, Conclusion - Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood in History and Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:21 PM

388 posts, read 307,247 times
I think the first item is "one ax." That repeated symbol seems to be functioning as both @ (for the prices) and an ampersand.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 PM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It doesn't specify whether it's talking about with or without parental consent, unfortunately. The link that Suzy provided early says of colonial America:

"Under British common law, full majority was reached at the age of 21. Anyone under 21 was legally an infant. Only persons who had reached majority could perform certain legal actions:
Marry without parental consent"

So 21 was when people could marry without parental consent, but it sounds like 12/14 was the age girls/boys (respectively) could marry only with parental consent, which is what I suspected.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I was curious the youngest someone could be a purchaser on an estate. Specifically if I see someone who purchased multiple items from an estate in North Carolina in 1767 what age minimum would that likely imply, if at all?
Quote:
In general colonial America used English law...adulthood was 21.

But lawful age for marriage of female was 12 & male was 14.

However, women over 21 were not considered independent adults unless they had been married and then widowed & not re-married. Either their husbands or fathers held the property and assets & made the financial decisions.
Marriage constituted emancipation, then as now.

All States, except Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming and Mississippi, put adulthood at age 18. It's 19 years in Nebraska, Kansas and Wyoming, and Mississippi at 21 years. However, many States still allow women to marry at age 15 or 16, and having done so, they are an emancipated minor and can legally enter into contracts which can be enforced. The same is true for a 16 or 17 year male who marries and is then an emancipated minor.

Even so, most women were barred from entering into contracts until the late 1800s, and it wasn't until the 1970s that women were allowed to have their own independent credit histories.

Most banks wouldn't issue a credit card to a woman, they'd only issue it to the husband, and the woman could have a card under her husband's name. If he died, the bank may or may not have allowed the woman to keep the credit card. There were changes to the laws in the 1970s that allowed women to have their own separate independent credit histories, and much of that came with changes in divorce laws, too.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
Is it Jacob Bethney that you're interested in?

Try searching his name at www.familysearch.org which is a free site with a wide variety of databases for genealogists.

You may find something there to help pin down his year of birth.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM

This is cool. From archive.org

Full text of "Stub entries to indents issued in payment of claims against South Carolina growing out of the Revolution"

N°. 387
Book R

Issued the I s . of June 1785 to Mr Jacob Bethany for Forty Six Pounds Twelve Shillings and five Pence Sterling for duty as Commissary in Sumpters Brigade and for 22 days as Lieutenant and for Fodder in 1781 and 1782 p r . Account Audited Principal £46-12—5 — Annual Interest £3-5-3 —

Also, his name comes up on several entries on google books. I searched Jacob Bethany & North Carolina.

Last edited by historyfan; 10-10-2018 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 11:29 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Is it Jacob Bethney that you're interested in?

Try searching his name at www.familysearch.org which is a free site with a wide variety of databases for genealogists.

You may find something there to help pin down his year of birth.
Quote:
This is cool. From archive.org

Full text of "Stub entries to indents issued in payment of claims against South Carolina growing out of the Revolution"

N°. 387
Book R

Issued the I s . of June 1785 to Mr Jacob Bethany for Forty Six Pounds Twelve Shillings and five Pence Sterling for duty as Commissary in Sumpters Brigade and for 22 days as Lieutenant and for Fodder in 1781 and 1782 p r . Account Audited Principal £46-12—5 — Annual Interest £3-5-3 —

Also, his name comes up on several entries on google books. I searched Jacob Bethany & North Carolina.
That is not the person the OP is primarily interested in. Bethney was just also a buyer at the estate auction.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Yeah, he's looking for Isham Langley.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is not the person the OP is primarily interested in. Bethney was just also a buyer at the estate auction.

My apologies.
Isham is included in this volume--

Edgefield County, South Carolina: Minutes of the County Court, 1785-1795
Southern Historical Press, Jan 1, 1979 - Law - 200 pages

"These Court Minutes are the earliest extant records from this crucial South Carolina county. Many persons left Edgefield and migrated across the Savannah River into Georgia and other states West. In these records are listings of more than 175 early deeds which cannot now be loctaed! This makes these probably the most valuable court minutes in all of South Carolina. Also Edgefield was one of the largest counties in South Carolina at the time, comprising all or part of the present counties of: Edgefield, Saluda, Aiken, Greenwood, and McCormick."

Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,217 times
Quote:
My apologies.
Isham is included in this volume--

Edgefield County, South Carolina: Minutes of the County Court, 1785-1795
Southern Historical Press, Jan 1, 1979 - Law - 200 pages

"These Court Minutes are the earliest extant records from this crucial South Carolina county. Many persons left Edgefield and migrated across the Savannah River into Georgia and other states West. In these records are listings of more than 175 early deeds which cannot now be loctaed! This makes these probably the most valuable court minutes in all of South Carolina. Also Edgefield was one of the largest counties in South Carolina at the time, comprising all or part of the present counties of: Edgefield, Saluda, Aiken, Greenwood, and McCormick."
Thanks, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I am looking for Isham Langley. Thanks for the reference, just ordered the book. I have multiple records for Isham in South Carolina including purchasing land from Josiah Langley in Edgefield in 1805, though I haven't seen this so will be interesting to see what the reference is. Doesn't hurt to have another good reference book too, was only $12 on Amazon so can't argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy