Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

So happy they extended it!!

I got my aunt's results back last week and I did go to upload it on Saturday and saw no other changes there. Whew!

Ancestry took nearly a month to give us results with my aunt from the time they said they started "processing" her results and I was worried she'd have an inconclusive test (again, she has had 2 inconclusive tests over the past 6 months).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So happy they extended it!!

I got my aunt's results back last week and I did go to upload it on Saturday and saw no other changes there. Whew!

Ancestry took nearly a month to give us results with my aunt from the time they said they started "processing" her results and I was worried she'd have an inconclusive test (again, she has had 2 inconclusive tests over the past 6 months).
Glad you were able to make it in! How did her test make out with ethnicity? Was it accurate? Some of mine are and some are a little off but it's to be expected with them being a new company.

When I was 1st picked to be a part of their European Founders Project I only had a few matches. Now every time I log in the number grows. I often wonder if any of my new matches are anyone that's uploaded due to one of the posts. Hey you never know! lol I have a thread on Websleuths too. I've gotten a lot of people to upload there.

You're pretty lucky her results took a month. Back when we did ours it was 2 months wait. I logged into ancestry this morning; my uncles test is flying thru. The received the kit Nov 26, it was processing by the 29th; DNA extracted on Dec 7th, DNA started to be analyzed yesterday. Now I'm a little hopeful that I may make My Heritage for free. If not, I'm hoping they extend it until January 1st. That would make the most sense to me. Let everyone finish the year with free uploads; start charging for the new year.

I asked for a title change to the 17th (extended). Not sure why I didn't do it when they originally extended it.

Last edited by Roselvr; 12-11-2018 at 04:27 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 06:24 AM

My uncles DNA is done processing!!!! Will be uploading as soon as my grand daughter goes to school. So unexpected! I was sitting here with her and decided to see how it was going, I wasn't expecting it to be done so fast!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My uncles DNA is done processing!!!! Will be uploading as soon as my grand daughter goes to school. So unexpected! I was sitting here with her and decided to see how it was going, I wasn't expecting it to be done so fast!
Its uploaded! I'm so psyched!

Old 12-15-2018, 12:01 PM

The upload time is slowly ticking away. For anyone still needing to upload you have until tomorrow

Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM

So happy my uncles test got finished and uploaded! I wish my SIL would have gotten her test uploaded.

No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya · December 16, 2018
Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Glad you were able to make it in! How did her test make out with ethnicity? Was it accurate? Some of mine are and some are a little off but it's to be expected with them being a new company.

When I was 1st picked to be a part of their European Founders Project I only had a few matches. Now every time I log in the number grows. I often wonder if any of my new matches are anyone that's uploaded due to one of the posts. Hey you never know! lol I have a thread on Websleuths too. I've gotten a lot of people to upload there.

You're pretty lucky her results took a month. Back when we did ours it was 2 months wait. I logged into ancestry this morning; my uncles test is flying thru. The received the kit Nov 26, it was processing by the 29th; DNA extracted on Dec 7th, DNA started to be analyzed yesterday. Now I'm a little hopeful that I may make My Heritage for free. If not, I'm hoping they extend it until January 1st. That would make the most sense to me. Let everyone finish the year with free uploads; start charging for the new year.

I asked for a title change to the 17th (extended). Not sure why I didn't do it when they originally extended it.

Honestly, I didn't even look at her ethnicity portion lol. I immediately saw a connection to a Canadian family on her mother's maiden name line so have been going through that and connecting with people (got some GREAT finds on this line - it put me back to an African slave who was brought to America in the 1700s from Senegal to New Jersey!! Very exciting for me - this is my grandmother's maternal line and first time I've gone back to an African that came to America as a slave. This African man's granddaughter is my 5th great grandmother - she was freed by the Canadian family that owned her own in the early 1800s and married a German man in Canada. Their family is heavily documented due to who their owners were in Canada - will probably share here once I verify more information as this has been a gold mine for me in my research).

Only the matches are really important to me so I don't put much stock into the ethnicity portion. But you made me go back and look and hers are similar to my own on that site. I never really even looked at my own!

On MyHeritage she is

79.4% African (55.2% Nigerian, 17.1% Sierra Leonean, 7.1% Kenyan/East Africa)

20.6% Europe (8% south Europe - 5.7%Iberian, 2.3% Italian; 7.3% North and West Europe - 5.0% Finnish, 2.3% North and West European; 5.3% East Europe - 5.4% Baltic, .9% East European)

On Ancestry she is:

82% African (37% Cameroon, Congo & Southern Bantu; 31% Benin/Togo; 9% Ivory Ghost/Ghana; 5% Nigeria)

18% European (12% England/Wales & Northwestern Europe; 3% Ireland & Scotland; 2% Germanic Europe; 1% Norway)

The descriptions between MyHeritage and Ancestry are pretty different IMO. Main difference with my own is that on MyHeritage, my S. Asian DNA from Ancestry doesn't show (1%). I did notice that my dad has some S. Asian DNA (2%), which was interesting to me - I actually did notice his ethnicity portion because his included color from everywhere it seemed on Ancestry DNA. I just looked at his on MyHeritage too and it doesn't include his Native American markers on MyHeritage and instead of S. Asian it has "Oceania" for him. MyHeritage also has more African for him 70% versus 65% on ancestry.

Only ethnicity portion I've wondered about other than my dad's when I first saw it was one of my shared matches of my aunt - they had "Burusho" as an ethnic group in their list of ethnic origins. I'd never heard of that so looked it up and was it was interesting that they are an ethnic group from Pakistan. This person is an African American and shared cousin match on my aunt's direct maternal line so it makes me wonder where the heck that came from!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 AM

I like the DNA matches too. Glad it helped you break down a wall!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
So happy my uncles test got finished and uploaded! I wish my SIL would have gotten her test uploaded.

No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya · December 16, 2018

Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.
Has anyone uploaded since the rule change? Curious if they figured out what the charge will be. I'm not seeing a blog devoted to it.

I'll still have to upload my cousins if I ever get his test out of customs.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Has anyone uploaded since the rule change? Curious if they figured out what the charge will be. I'm not seeing a blog devoted to it.

I'll still have to upload my cousins if I ever get his test out of customs.
I just emailed My Heritage support to see if they've pinned down a number yet. Will post back if I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy