Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times

Advertisements

This whole ordeal just underscores how the claim of Native American ancestry (or any minority ancestry) is still a gray area in this country. She was open that she was not a member of any tribe. And academic institutions go overboard to claim faculty as belonging to a minority group to make their statistics look good, as Harvard did in Warren's case. But nobody at Harvard defined their criteria for making that claim. Apparently it was enough for them that Warren had a family tradition to support it and nothing more.

As for her DNA test, you can't expect her critics on the Right to accept it, because they don't believe in science.

I have corresponded with DNA matches who are members of federally-recognized tribes who have zero Native American DNA. And they have gotten scholarships, participate in their native culture, speak the language, etc.

Last edited by aries63; 10-15-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Oh please, 5% is just "noise"
I am 25% Native American and that is not noise, I know my great grandmother is full Native American. And I know this since I was a kid.
If you have one great-grandmother that was Native American (and no other Native DNA), wouldn't that make you 12.5%, or 1/8 Native American?

Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
I am 25% Native American and that is not noise, I know my great grandmother is full Native American. And I know this since I was a kid.
And yet you've made the claim multiple times in this forum of Irish ancestry based on your paternal haplogroup, which is completely unproven since your only knowledge is your paternal line is from Italy. So you're not one to talk!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
There is now no doubt that she has native American ancestry.

However, I do not buy the idea that she has never used her NA ancestry for gain in her professional or political careers. Why even mention it at all in professional if she did not expect it to benefit her in some way? At the point that she was claiming it she could not confirm it.

The small amount of DNA she has does not, as others have noted, establish that she is ethnically NA, and I have a problem with her claiming that she is.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:16 PM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The small amount of DNA she has does not, as others have noted, establish that she is ethnically NA, and I have a problem with her claiming that she is.
What problem would you have with her claim, other than that she is a liar and a fraud?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:18 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
And yet you've made the claim multiple times in this forum of Irish ancestry based on your paternal haplogroup, which is completely unproven since your only knowledge is your paternal line is from Italy. So you're not one to talk!
My MTDNA is C1
Native American
and your point is?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM

661 posts, read 880,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
What problem would you have with her claim, other than that she is a liar and a fraud?
She is a $5 dollars indian

Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
Quote:
It wasn't 5% they don't release any info on total percentages at all. 5% isn't noise, when dealing with percentages smaller than that it's more about segment size than total percentage. I'm guessing you really don't understand this with DNA. Noise is a segment that is too small to determine as legitimate, much like an IBD vs IBS cousin segment match. If you have enough percentage then you definitely have segments large enough for that, 5% would be such. She likely has much smaller than 5% but she does at least have a single DNA segment that is large enough to match to cousins and comes up Native American.

You and your DNA is not the measure of noise in DNA segments, I don't know why you would even apply that comparison. If I point to someone who is 50% Native DNA does that make your 25% than noise? Same approach.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
Quote:
She is a $5 dollars indian
That's a ridiculous statement. I mean if I'm going by your standard we should probably not listen to someone only 25% Native, let's hear from someone 51% or more right? A slippery slope.

She is not Native American, she has Native American ancestry. Just like you have Irish ancestry but are not Irish.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Sorry but real Native Americans with a tribal affiliation would not consider you a Native American your Amerindian DNA is from South American and you are culturally Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy