Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Why do they make you go through like 10 pages of "You'll be missing A-Z!" before canceling. I will admit to creating a few e-mail addresses here and there to use a 14 day trial to track down a new lead, but holy cow. I woke up to a charge on my card this morning from them after I thought I had clicked through enough screens. I'm going to call and see what they'll do other then saying, "It's cancelled now so enjoy your month! It'll be cancelled in November." Ugh. I may end up with some overdraft fees this month because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:33 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I don't know. I only have a membership when I have time to use it. Then I cancel. I used a promo last time with the discount. I had to choose a self renewing option with an option to cancel at six months. I was able to cancel, but it took me a while to figure it out.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
They have your DNA.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I used to be very hard to cancel over the phone, but now I don’t find it hard at all.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I got a one month subscription and cancelled it online the week before it was due to end. No problems.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I'm playing the system by getting 14 day trials with different e-mail addresses and then sharing my tree with myself. The few family members that do look at it I'm sure are like "What?!" But anyway. I called this morning and the customer service guy was great and hopefully I'll get the $20 back that they charged me.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why do they make you go through like 10 pages of "You'll be missing A-Z!" before canceling.
Because they are a business, and like all businesses, they want to keep you as a customer.

When I switched from Cincinnati Bell to Spectrum as an internet service provider, I got transferred around to three different people all of them offering me rate discounts and repeatedly asking if I was sure I wanted to cancel, and blah, blah, blah and the last one even tried to get me to delay cancelling until the next billing cycle. Even after telling them I'd be saving $380 a year, I'm sure they got that part, but still kept offering me deals, which were still higher than what I with Spectrum.

It's what they do.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:19 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Wait until you try cancelling City-Data, LOL.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I've canceled on their website before with no problems. Maybe they've changed it recently. I do remember having to go through about 4-5 screens of them offering discounts. FWIW the gifted subscription I got for Christmas last year is going to expire soon (end of this year I believe) and if they give me a good deal, I may persuade someone to gift me a new subscription when I get to those "don't go" messages/screens lol.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 17,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Why do they make you go through like 10 pages of "You'll be missing A-Z!" before canceling. I will admit to creating a few e-mail addresses here and there to use a 14 day trial to track down a new lead, but holy cow. I woke up to a charge on my card this morning from them after I thought I had clicked through enough screens. I'm going to call and see what they'll do other then saying, "It's cancelled now so enjoy your month! It'll be cancelled in November." Ugh. I may end up with some overdraft fees this month because of it.
I am currently having the same problem. I have used Ancestry off and on for years, and never had a problem canceling before the 6 month was up (I always get the 6 months subscription). This time, I went into my account at the beginning of October to cancel (membership was ending 1I/19/18. It lets me fill out the why, I always check taking a break. then get down to the next button, and it says that page is no longer available. Ugg. Tried every few days (I work at a job where I can not be on the phone or computer during working hours, and am at work during the time the customer service phone hours are open). I sent several emails, and got the stock response of how to cancel, LOL which isnt working!).
Fortunately, I only use a prepaid debit card for what I call 'entertainment sites", such as genealogy, streaming services, etc. I only put money there for my planned renewals, or planned entertainment expenses, and just the amount that is needed.So they can't run it through. Started doing that a few years ago when a streaming service kept charging my cc after I had cancelled, and had confirmation email that it was canceled Took 9 weeks to clear it up.
So Ancestry sends me me email 11/19 to update my payment info after the payment didnt go through. Email them again, get the same stock answer. Tried to cancel again, same thing, It won't let me! Tried again this morning, and it won't let me. But, in the mean time, I can still use the site and all the features. So I am, basically to download, print stuff my own files.
With Ancestry, I get the 6 month, cancel, then about 3-6 months later resign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy