Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 PM

112 posts, read 62,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I personally don't view Obama as light skinned in America. I'm black and he and I are the same color. My dad is lighter than him and both my dad's parents are black. Dad is lighter than both is parents were as well. He favors his paternal grandmother (the one who was related to the "passing" relative).
I'm sure you consider Obama black right? Since you consider me black I'm sure you consider Obama and Halle Berry black as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 04:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I'm sure you consider Obama black right? Since you consider me black I'm sure you consider Obama and Halle Berry black as well.
Yup

Old 11-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yup
You shouldn't tell people what they are, I think they know what they are more than you. You can't say I'm African and Black-American versus Portuguese because that depends on which ancestry makes up me the most and matters more.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
You shouldn't tell people what they are, I think they know what they are more than you. You can't say I'm African and Black-American versus Portuguese because that depends on which ancestry makes up me the most and matters more.
I think that because they both say they are black....

Also on the street, they look black. People would call you black until you tell them you're not.

FWIW I know many black people who aren't American - primarily from South American countries (Panama and Colombia come to mind). They do say they are Panamanian or Colombian. But they don't say they aren't black or deny their "afro" lineage because they are of African descent from Panama or Colombian. Even Dominicans, as much gripes as they get from black Americans, I've never personally known any Dominican who claims to have no African ancestry or say it is not important and I bet they are more Portuguese than you are lol.

You can be black and be Portuguese or any other European country. I went to college with black people from Germany.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I think that because they both say they are black....

Also on the street, they look black. People would call you black until you tell them you're not.

FWIW I know many black people who aren't American - primarily from South American countries (Panama and Colombia come to mind). They do say they are Panamanian or Colombian. But they don't say they aren't black or deny their "afro" lineage because they are of African descent from Panama or Colombian. Even Dominicans, as much gripes as they get from black Americans, I've never personally known any Dominican who claims to have no African ancestry or say it is not important and I bet they are more Portuguese than you are lol.

You can be black and be Portuguese or any other European country. I went to college with black people from Germany.
Dominicans don't have Portuguese ancestry. Also black people from Latin America, U.S.A, and Europe have nothing to do with me. You shouldn't tell me what I am because I know what I am more than you.I already told you what I am. If you consider Obama black because they say they are, then why do you consider me black then I say I'm not? How am I a different story? Also I'm just Portuguese-American not Black American. Black is just my skin color not my culture or identity. My history is Portuguese

Last edited by AzureKite; 11-18-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy