Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

Hi my DNA Results came back as 83% European ang 17% Sub-Saharan African
My Grandfather on my Dads side is 100% Syrian is that why it said Sub-Saharan African
on my results? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,829,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icancu View Post
My Grandfather on my Dads side is 100% Syrian is that why it said Sub-Saharan African

It sounds like someone might have a different father I think 2%-6% isn't uncommon for Syrians 17% not uncommon for Libyans.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:55 PM

661 posts, read 870,797 times
Your grandpa or grandma is Black
Period.
Are you a member of Gedmatch?
Here is my Gedrosia K3 test results:

Population
E_Eurasian 19.48
SSA 10.91 < == sub saharan african
W_Eurasian 69.60

Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,760,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Your grandpa or grandma is Black
Period.
Not necessarily - at 17%, it could also be a great grandparent who was Sub-Saharan. Maybe the "Syrian" grandfather was actually half black but light skinned enough to pass for Middle Eastern so that what he claimed?

We can inherit as little as about 15% from a grandparent, and as much as about 20% from a great grandparent.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:05 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Not necessarily - at 17%, it could also be a great grandparent who was Sub-Saharan. Maybe the "Syrian" grandfather was actually half black but light skinned enough to pass for Middle Eastern so that what he claimed?

We can inherit as little as about 15% from a grandparent, and as much as about 20% from a great grandparent.
I see a lot of ethnicity estimates from Brazilians and at 50% Subsaharan they look very black when you get in the 20%-25% range sometimes it isn't obvious that the mixture is Subsaharan. If he is 17% the grandfather or great grandfather would have looked very SubSaharan with wooly hair for sure. I'm also curious as the European breakdown as I would expect high percentages of West Asian/Caucasus like DNA in a Syrian.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:55 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,760,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I see a lot of ethnicity estimates from Brazilians and at 50% Subsaharan they look very black when you get in the 20%-25% range sometimes it isn't obvious that the mixture is Subsaharan. If he is 17% the grandfather or great grandfather would have looked very SubSaharan with wooly hair for sure. I'm also curious as the European breakdown as I would expect high percentages of West Asian/Caucasus like DNA in a Syrian.
Obama is half Sub-Saharan (his father was not an American, so did not have any European ancestry like most/all African Americans) and he's very light skinned. I don't think this is something that is set in stone.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Obama is half Sub-Saharan (his father was not an American, so did not have any European ancestry like most/all African Americans) and he's very light skinned. I don't think this is something that is set in stone.
I'll have to disagree on this he looks like a typical mulatto half European/half Subsaharan he wouldn't pass for a typical Moroccan, Libyan, Tunisian, Egyptian or Yemeni with some Subsharan features you see people with 25% and when you get to 50% those are outliers . He would be an obvious outlier as you move further north in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq he would stand out quite a bit. You are correct it's not set in stone but Obama would not be considered light skinned in North Africa or the middle east he would be considered as someone with a substantial amount of Subsaharan African ancestry.

Last edited by AFP; 11-16-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icancu View Post
Who knows?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,752,703 times
Do some more research.

It may be the European side that has the African DNA along with the Syrian ancestry. Plenty of whites in America have some African ancestry - you may have a grandparent or great grandparent who "passed" as white.

I do have some cousins I met over the past few years (I'm black and they are white) who discovered that their grandfather was "passing." They had 10-20% African DNA percentage-wise. Their grandfather was the brother of my 2nd great grandmother. I knew about him and even have pictures of him. He actually didn't do the typical "passing" situation, he just fell out with this side of the family over money and never spoke to his siblings again. He married a white woman. One of my cousins who is his grandchild she tested at 15% African DNA. She also discovered her mom, who is white is 3% African via a DNA test. But we are from Ohio and there was quite a bit of mixing in our part of Ohio and from SE Ohio and West Virginia where are ancestors were from. Her sister is 18% African.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,752,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'll have to disagree on this he looks like a typical mulatto half European/half Subsaharan he wouldn't pass for a typical Moroccan, Libyan, Tunisian, Egyptian or Yemeni with some Subsharan features you see people with 25% and when you get to 50% those are outliers . He would be an obvious outlier as you move further north in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq he would stand out quite a bit. You are correct it's not set in stone but Obama would not be considered light skinned in North Africa or the middle east he would be considered as someone with a substantial amount of Subsaharan African ancestry.
I personally don't view Obama as light skinned in America. I'm black and he and I are the same color. My dad is lighter than him and both my dad's parents are black. Dad is lighter than both is parents were as well. He favors his paternal grandmother (the one who was related to the "passing" relative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy