U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:03 PM

112 posts, read 49,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Black American with partial Portuguese ancestry based on what you have posted. I don't know what you are like culturally I haven't met you. FWIW Portuguese people in Portugal of partial Black ancestry feel very Portuguese to me when I interact with them. But I don't think you've had enough cultural exposure to blend in based on our interactions. Truthfully I'm not sure I'd want to know you personally because you seem to want to distance yourself from the Black American portion of your heritage.
Nope, Black American ancestry has nothing to do with anything. I never mentioned anything about Black ancestry since my Portuguese heritage and lineage is what is being celebrated and identified with me. i don't see why i should. Honestly i've only met a few Portuguese people in real life. I still have to learn about Portuguese culture just like German-Americans and Italian-Americans learn about theirs Also why do you consider me Black American versus Luso-American?
Rate this post positively

Old 11-18-2018, 03:10 PM
AFP

7,386 posts, read 5,949,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Nope, Black American ancestry has nothing to do with anything. I never mentioned anything about Black ancestry since my Portuguese heritage is what is being celebrated and identified with me. i don't see why i should. Honestly i've only met a few Portuguese people in real life. Also why do you consider me Black American versus Luso-American?
You've only me a few Portuguese people in real life that makes it easy for me to answer I see you as a Black American with a Portuguese great great grandfather who is curious and searching. I think that is how most Luso-Americans would see you. Your story is very interesting though and I like how you clarified things with your last response.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You've only me a few Portuguese people in real life that makes it easy for me to answer I see you as a Black American with a Portuguese great great grandfather who is curious and searching. I think that is how most Luso-Americans would see you. Your story is very interesting though and I like how you clarified things with your last response.
I've only talked to Portuguese cousins online not in person. I've already stated I'm of Portuguese descent( which meas I'm Portuguese by ethnicity, and ancestry which is what a Luso-American is), so I'm definitely Portuguese versus Black American. So a Portuguese great-great grandfather means I'm Portuguese just like someone who is 1/2, 1/4, etc. So why do you see me as Black American versus Portuguese-American? i already told you the part of my ancestry that makes up me the most and is the most significant.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
I've only talked to Portuguese cousins online not in person. I've already stated I'm of Portuguese descent( which meas I'm Portuguese by ethnicity, and ancestry which is what a Luso-American is), so I'm definitely Portuguese versus Black American. So a Portuguese great-great grandfather means I'm Portuguese just like someone who is 1/2, 1/4, etc. So why do you see me as Black American versus Portuguese-American? i already told you the part of my ancestry that makes up me the most and is the most significant.
This conversation if getting quite fishy. I'm familiar with a story of a Black American who had family lore of having a Portuguese great great grandfather who settled in Louisiana and married a Black American woman. The real guy descended from him is married a Luso-American woman he took a DNA test and it confirmed the family lore. I've seen quite a few of their personal pics and know their story. This story sounds very familiar but at the same time different. He has been very public about his story on social media among the Portuguese community but he's very comfortable with Black American heritage. This story you posted is a spin off of a real story.

I think I've been very clear and answered your questions even though I think you're trolling. The real guy though isn't descended from a Madeiran and his great great grandfather was never in Guyana.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
This conversation if getting quite fishy. I'm familiar with a story of a Black American who had family lore of having a Portuguese great great grandfather he married a Luso-American woman he took a DNA test and it confirmed the family lore. I've seen quite a few of their personal pics and know their story in fact his family was from Louisiana. This story sounds very familiar but at the same time different. He has been very public about his story on social media among the Portuguese community but he's very comfortable with Black American heritage. This story you posted is a spin off of a real story.

I think I've been very clear and answered your questions even though I think you're trolling. The real guy though isn't descended from a Madeiran and his great great grandfather was never in Guyana.
First of all, I'm not trolling and You have no right to state my story about my family is fake based off of something you heard before and tell me my great-great grandfather wasn't Madeiran just because you trust your own cynical intuition more than me.I never heard of the story you're talking about, and secondly, my great-great grandfather lied about being Portuguese and said he was Chinese, and East Indian. and we only recently found out he was Portuguese not to long ago. Sorry what you said is completely incorrect. i thought my great-great grandfather was Chinese not Portuguese . That story has nothing to do with me nor have i ever heard that story before. But since you stated that , that tells me you consider me Black-American over Portuguese-American right?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:07 PM
AFP

Quote:
First of all, I never heard of the story you're talking about, and secondly, my great-great grandfather lied about being Portuguese and said he was Chinese, and East Indian. and we only recently found out he was Portuguese not to long ago. Sorry what you said is completely incorrect. i thought my great-great grandfather was Chinese not Portuguese . That story has nothing to do with me.
You are correct about that and the real guy isn't trying to prove his Portuguese heritage and isn't looking for acceptance from Portuguese people he's comfortable with who he is.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You are correct about that and the real guy isn't trying to prove his Portuguese heritage and isn't looking for acceptance from Portuguese people he's comfortable with who he is.
I'm very comfortable who I am, haven't I been expressing my Portuguese heritage on m threads? Also it's very clear you consider me Black American over Portuguese-American right? Do you see African-American culture as who I am or Portuguese? Be honest

Old 11-18-2018, 06:31 PM
AFP

Quote:
I'm very comfortable who I am, haven't I been expressing my Portuguese heritage on m threads? Also it's very clear you consider me Black American over Portuguese-American right? Do you see African-American culture as who I am or Portuguese? Be honest
Get outta here! Go kick rocks.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Get outta here! Go kick rocks.
What did i say? are you offended or something? If i was 100% Portuguese would your responses been difference towards me?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM
AFP

Quote:
What did i say? are you offended or something? If i was 100% Portuguese would your responses been difference towards me?
If everything you've posted is true you're seeking approval(but a few things aren't adding up). I don't know whether to laugh or pity you. Why does it matter how you're perceived by me or Portuguese people in general? I think you're just bored and trolling me anyway but go on humor me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.