U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:17 PM

112 posts, read 49,140 times

Advertisements

My DNA results came back I was 75%African, 22% European, 1% East Asian and 0.7% North African

My father is African-American, and my mother is mixed African-American, Portuguese, Scottish, and Irish. I definitely identify with my Portuguese ancestry and represent my Portuguese heritage. My Portuguese great-great grandfather was born in British Guiana in the 1900's, and my 3rd or 4x great grandparents immigrated from Madeira, while other family members went to the Hawaiian Islands. i definitely want to visit my homeland one day. Also should I learn Portuguese? Also are there any other Portuguese people here who can post the great things our ancestors did in history? Also can someone explain if my 0.7% North African ancetry come from the Iberian Pennisula?

Last edited by AzureKite; 11-17-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 11-18-2018, 09:53 AM

635 posts, read 410,659 times
Not sure if you're being facetious, and if you're not please don't take what follows as ad hominem. I look at your ancestry breakdown and your familiarity with Portuguese culture and`there's no way I can see any compatibility with the label "Luso-American".

Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM

661 posts, read 738,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
My DNA results came back I was 75%African, 22% European, 1% East Asian and 0.7% North African

My father is African-American, and my mother is mixed African-American, Portuguese, Scottish, and Irish. I definitely identify with my Portuguese ancestry and represent my Portuguese heritage. My Portuguese great-great grandfather was born in British Guiana in the 1900's, and my 3rd or 4x great grandparents immigrated from Madeira, while other family members went to the Hawaiian Islands. i definitely want to visit my homeland one day. Also should I learn Portuguese? Also are there any other Portuguese people here who can post the great things our ancestors did in history? Also can someone explain if my 0.7% North African ancetry come from the Iberian Pennisula?
I think you are very confused or you are a troll.

Here is my Eurogenes K13 from Gedmatch, I also have some Sub Saharan (one of my great grandparent is bi-racial), as you can see, I am mostly European with some Native American. One of my great grandmother is Native American.
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08

Last edited by ozarknation; 11-18-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-18-2018, 11:34 AM

13,267 posts, read 7,657,759 times
I have some cousins with a Portuguese ancestor (grandparent) and the Iberian percentage is around 18% with a little North African and a little French that might be associated with the Portuguese ancestry. I suppose one can identify with anything they want regardless of the genetics. We see that quite often.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:08 PM

635 posts, read 410,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I suppose one can identify with anything they want regardless of the genetics. We see that quite often.

If someone was raised in said culture and identifies with it in spite of being from a different genetic extraction, it's not irrational. If someone, like the OP, claims and identifies with ancestors marginally contributing to their genetic make-up and zero exposition to their culture it's a different story. They can do it but that doesn't mean that Luso-Americans and/or Portuguese people will consider them as one of theirs. Saying "I have X ancestry" isn't the same as saying "I am X nationality".

Old 11-18-2018, 01:12 PM

13,485 posts, read 6,998,870 times
Portuguese and Spanish shows up as Iberian, which is what I have.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Not sure if you're being facetious, and if you're not please don't take what follows as ad hominem. I look at your ancestry breakdown and your familiarity with Portuguese culture and`there's no way I can see any compatibility with the label "Luso-American".

Luso-American means someone who is connected to Portugal by culture,birth or ancestry. My great-great grandfather was Portuguese, so I'm Luso-American by ancestry. The culture I have to discover for myself.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I think you are very confused or you are a troll.

Here is my Eurogenes K13 from Gedmatch, I also have some Sub Saharan (one of my great grandparent is bi-racial), as you can see, I am mostly European with some Native American. One of my great grandmother is Native American.
Population
North_Atlantic 19.97
Baltic 7.56
West_Med 17.63
West_Asian 2.81
East_Med 9.84
Red_Sea 3.16
South_Asian -
East_Asian -
Siberian 1.84
Amerindian 26.94
Oceanian -
Northeast_African 1.18
Sub-Saharan 9.08
Sorry I'm not. I just explained I'm of Portuguese descent. DNA and ancestry isn't the same. So you can;t look at DNA results and determine what specific of European or ancestry that person has. Also Majority percentages don't determine what you are.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
If someone was raised in said culture and identifies with it in spite of being from a different genetic extraction, it's not irrational. If someone, like the OP, claims and identifies with ancestors marginally contributing to their genetic make-up and zero exposition to their culture it's a different story. They can do it but that doesn't mean that Luso-Americans and/or Portuguese people will consider them as one of theirs. Saying "I have X ancestry" isn't the same as saying "I am X nationality".
It doesn't matter how much DNA you get from an ancestor, their still your relatives. Just because you get 25% from a grandparent doesn't make them more important to what you are then a great-great-great grandparent. Percentages don't matter. I'm part Portuguese, so ethnically, and by ancestry I'm Portuguese and Luso-American. Do you consider me something different?

Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have some cousins with a Portuguese ancestor (grandparent) and the Iberian percentage is around 18% with a little North African and a little French that might be associated with the Portuguese ancestry. I suppose one can identify with anything they want regardless of the genetics. We see that quite often.
My great-great grandfather was Portuguese, so I'm just identifying with what I am. Just like any other person with Portuguese ancestry does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.