Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times

Advertisements

If OP would present all the info he has at once – rather than meting out a clue every few days – people who are generously helping him with research might be able to get a little further.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 PM

112 posts, read 62,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman, had four or five aliases last name Jackson or Johnson that I could find. What was up with that?

Also he may be related to the Goveia family, but not with Charlotte as a mother.

If you are basing this alternate Leslie Clark identity on a dna match to a cousin with these people as greatxmany times grandparents, that is not enough.

You said something about him writing a letter...what did it say?

Hi, thanks for the info. Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman is my great-great grandfather. We don't know what his real identity is because he ran away from Georgetown, British Guiana when he was 13 yrs.old, so the year 1916 would be the time he ran away. Everyone suspects he changed his name multiple times, he even lied about his ethnicity/race. Also, the letter he wrote to his parents was explaining how he was going to get married to a black woman, and the letter he got back from his parents was that they were looking for him for three years, and they never want to see him again because he decided to marry a Black woman, and that's the last time they spoke. His wife Alice and him both kept what his true identity was until they both passed away. Also, 3rd and fourth cousins you share great-great grandparents, and great-great-great grandparents with. All of my cousins who are Portuguese from British Guiana, we all share the same great-great-great grandparents who are the parents of Leslie Clark of Galveston. Which means my 3rd cousins (once-removed) her great-grandfather is the brother of Leslie Clark. and his brother's name is Francis Goveia Jr, and his parents wee Francis Goveia and Charlotte Goveia. My great-great grandfather's side of the family are my Portuguese cousins from British Guiana.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman, had four or five aliases last name Jackson or Johnson that I could find. What was up with that?

Also he may be related to the Goveia family, but not with Charlotte as a mother.

If you are basing this alternate Leslie Clark identity on a dna match to a cousin with these people as greatxmany times grandparents, that is not enough.

Hi, thanks for the info. Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman is my great-great grandfather. We don't know what his real identity is because he ran away from Georgetown, British Guiana when he was 13 yrs.old, so the year 1916 would be the time he ran away. Everyone suspects he changed his name multiple times, he even lied about his ethnicity/race. Also, the letter he wrote to his parents was explaining how he was going to get married to a black woman, and the letter he got back from his parents was that they were looking for him for three years, and they never want to see him again because he decided to marry a Black woman, and that's the last time they spoke. His wife Alice and him both kept what his true identity was until they both passed away. Also, 3rd and fourth cousins you share great-great grandparents, and great-great-great grandparents with. All of my cousins who are Portuguese from British Guiana, we all share the same great-great-great grandparents who are the parents of Leslie Clark of Galveston. Which means my 3rd cousins (once-removed) her great-grandfather is the brother of Leslie Clark. and his brother's name is Francis Goveia Jr, and his parents were Francis Goveia and Charlotte Goveia. My great-great grandfather's side of the family are my Portuguese cousins from British Guiana. Francis Goveia Jr was a young man in the 1920's. Also A lot of birth records in Guyana have not been digitized yet. Here's my great-great grandfather's info:

Name:Leslie Clark

SSN:465-03-0500

Last Residence: 77550 Galveston, Galveston, Texas, USA

BORN:23 Sep 1903Died:Aug 1983

Old 11-29-2018, 07:33 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

Thanks. The only way Charlotte was his mother was if he lied about his age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
If OP would present all the info he has at once – rather than meting out a clue every few days – people who are generously helping him with research might be able to get a little further.
Agree. It's very frustrating. More background for sure like where he lived all of his life in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
Hi, thanks for the info. Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman is my great-great grandfather. We don't know what his real identity is because he ran away from Georgetown, British Guiana when he was 13 yrs.old, so the year 1916 would be the time he ran away. Everyone suspects he changed his name multiple times, he even lied about his ethnicity/race. Also, the letter he wrote to his parents was explaining how he was going to get married to a black woman, and the letter he got back from his parents was that they were looking for him for three years, and they never want to see him again because he decided to marry a Black woman, and that's the last time they spoke. His wife Alice and him both kept what his true identity was until they both passed away. Also, 3rd and fourth cousins you share great-great grandparents, and great-great-great grandparents with. All of my cousins who are Portuguese from British Guiana, we all share the same great-great-great grandparents who are the parents of Leslie Clark of Galveston. Which means my 3rd cousins (once-removed) her great-grandfather is the brother of Leslie Clark. and his brother's name is Francis Goveia Jr, and his parents were Francis Goveia and Charlotte Goveia. My great-great grandfather's side of the family are my Portuguese cousins from British Guiana. Francis Goveia Jr was a young man in the 1920's. Also A lot of birth records in Guyana have not been digitized yet. Here's my great-great grandfather's info:

Name:Leslie Clark

SSN:465-03-0500

Last Residence: 77550 Galveston, Galveston, Texas, USA

BORN:23 Sep 1903Died:Aug 1983
I added him as a child of Charlotte and Francis but I'm still not convinced that's his right DOB.

What else do you have? How did he run away to the US at age 13? Any idea of where he landed, who he stayed with? Where did he go next and when? Obviously he settled in Texas at some point.

Historyfan was very generous to help me a few months back with my son's family because I have a match who doesn't know who her father is. After all of that, I logged into my heritage after sending a common match a message, I looked at the new common matches to find the person I wrote shared DNA with 2 families I have some history on. I also have a little on the person's last name so could tell them which relative we matched at. Now I know the gal who doesn't know her father had to have come from that line too and not the one I suspected.

Please upload your DNA to my heritage and look at the tools/ matches. Also have your 23 and me matches upload there too before Dec 1st.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. The only way Charlotte was his mother was if he lied about his age.

Agree. It's very frustrating. More background for sure like where he lived all of his life in the US.

I added him as a child of Charlotte and Francis but I'm still not convinced that's his right DOB.

What else do you have? How did he run away to the US at age 13? Any idea of where he landed, who he stayed with? Where did he go next and when? Obviously he settled in Texas at some point.

Historyfan was very generous to help me a few months back with my son's family because I have a match who doesn't know who her father is. After all of that, I logged into my heritage after sending a common match a message, I looked at the new common matches to find the person I wrote shared DNA with 2 families I have some history on. I also have a little on the person's last name so could tell them which relative we matched at. Now I know the gal who doesn't know her father had to have come from that line too and not the one I suspected.

Please upload your DNA to my heritage and look at the tools/ matches. Also have your 23 and me matches upload there too before Dec 1st.

Hi, I think Charlotte Goveia might have been his grandmother. I was talking to someone on reddit/genealogy a couple a months ago and they said there was a Charlotte Goveia born in 1881 so I'm thinking it might be the daughter. Can I post pics here? I can post a pic of Francis Goveia Jr? Can you research birth records through cousins that are related to my great-great grandfather?

Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Hi, I think Charlotte Goveia might have been his grandmother. I was talking to someone on reddit/genealogy a couple a months ago and they said there was a Charlotte Goveia born in 1881 so I'm thinking it might be the daughter. Can I post pics here? I can post a pic of Francis Goveia Jr? Can you research birth records through cousins that are related to my great-great grandfather?
There was more than one Gouvenia/Govenia family in British Guiana. A man in fur district in 1920s New York last name Goveia immigrated from British Guiana & was in newspapers for murder/suicide.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There was more than one Gouvenia/Govenia family in British Guiana. A man in fur district in 1920s New York last name Goveia immigrated from British Guiana & was in newspapers for murder/suicide.

My great-great grandfather is for sure related to Francis Goveia Jr. married to Augusta Drummond. So it's that Goveia family in British Guiana

Old 11-29-2018, 01:07 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
A Charlotte born in 1881 makes way more sense but unless she was someone else's kid and married a Goveia, she would have a different last name when she married and had a child; so your few times great grandfather would have had a different last name..

Here are the directions again to upload a pic

Quote:
Hit the reply box, there is a picture showing, click it. It has to be hosted on another site.
Right click here to open in a new tab, it goes to your profile. Networking on the left, then Pictures & Albums. Click Add Album, give it a title like post stuff then add your pic. Once your pic is uploaded, click it, you'll see BB Code, copy it and post it like this

Quote:
Historyfan kicks some major butt researching! She has more tools then I do as I don't have a paid ancestry account.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
A Charlotte born in 1881 makes way more sense but unless she was someone else's kid and married a Goveia, she would have a different last name when she married and had a child; so your few times great grandfather would have had a different last name..

Historyfan kicks some major butt researching! She has more tools then I do as I don't have a paid ancestry account.
My great-great grandfather's surname is Goveia

Old 11-29-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:

This is Francis Goveia Jr the brother of my great-great grandfather and his wife Augusta Goveia nee Drummond. These are the great-grandparents of my cousin. Since Were third cousins once removed. Her great-grandfather who is Francis Goveia is the brother to my great-great grandfather. They have the same exact nose too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy