Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times

Advertisements

Just caught this on facebook. Of course they don't want Hungarian lol. See the link Global Genetics Project

Why your help is so important. Because you know where your family came from, you are uniquely positioned to help other people better understand their families' roots and help 23andMe drive genetic inclusion of underrepresented populations.

By looking at your DNA, along with others from the same region, we can identify genetic similarities of people from that location. Then, we can tell others if they are also from the same country or are affiliated with the same group. Our aim is to help people make new discoveries about their identity by way of their DNA. We also expect to learn more about how people migrated around the world over the last 5,000 years.

What you get by participating. When you participate in this study, not only will you help others, but you'll also receive access to 125+ personalized genetic reports online from 23andMe about your ancestry, traits and health.

How it works. Saliva and a survey. The study steps take a total of 30 minutes – all from home. We ask that you send in a saliva sample and complete a 15-minute survey about your family origins. No blood tests or trips to a testing site.

23andMe gives you control over your genetic information. We want you to decide how your information is used and with whom it is shared.

Angola
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Benin
Botswana
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo (Republic of Congo)
Cote d'Ivoire
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Fiji
Gambia
Gabon
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Jordan
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Mali
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mozambique
Myanmar
Namibia
Niger
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Qatar
Samoa
Senegal
Sierra Leone
South Sudan
Swaziland
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tonga
Turkmenistan
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
Uzbekistan
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-19-2019 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Damn! I don't qualify either, but this is a great deal for those who can swing it.

Note, I just saw that all four of your grandparents have to be from one of the listed countries, too!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:41 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
I'm getting more intrigued by 23andMe every day. You can pay to download a file from Ancestry and get an ethnicity report, can't you?

I wish I had been more eager when they had that "free day" last April. Maybe they will do it again.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I'm getting more intrigued by 23andMe every day. You can pay to download a file from Ancestry and get an ethnicity report, can't you?

I wish I had been more eager when they had that "free day" last April. Maybe they will do it again.
From a DNA perspective, I like 23andMe more than Ancestry. I exclusively utilize Ancestry, however, due to the extensive user family tree network on that site.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Damn! I don't qualify either, but this is a great deal for those who can swing it.

Note, I just saw that all four of your grandparents have to be from one of the listed countries, too!
Thanks for catching it, I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

I was a day late last year. I'm hoping they do it again. Many people had issues uploading, I thought for sure they'd open it up again but they never did.

Yes, you can upload to Promethease for $15, it goes free around the holidays but the upload expires in 3 months I think it was. I was able to see that my daughters paternal grandmother carried the cystic fibrosis gene and also a depression gene which answered the question why she has suffered so bad from depression.

Quote:
From a DNA perspective, I like 23andMe more than Ancestry. I exclusively utilize Ancestry, however, due to the extensive user family tree network on that site.
I'd really like to do the health but it's way too pricey for me. They don't go on sale as much as the other places and when they do they don't drop it much. I just don't have that kind of money laying around when I'm supporting 2 grand kids this last year due to my daughter not being able to work due to her health.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:01 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:

Yes, they are looking for people to add to their reference panel, which means your entire known ancestry must be from the same area (otherwise there's too many variables when the reference panel is supposed to be the control group). These are obviously areas where their samples are small and they want to boost the numbers, so it does not surprise me that most of these locations are generally ones with small populations.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was a day late last year. I'm hoping they do it again. Many people had issues uploading, I thought for sure they'd open it up again but they never did.
It was for National DNA Day, April 25. I'm hoping they do it again this year, but I guess it depends on whether they felt it was successful at inciting people to buy their test (which, let's face it, was their only reason for doing this - if they give people a little something for free, we might be inspired to buy the test to see more). I just wish they'd allow us to pay a fee to see our full results from the upload, because one of the kits I uploaded was my grandfather's, who is now deceased so he can't take any more tests.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Cool - going to share this with some groups that I know have some African members. I was just speaking to a woman the other day from one of the countries on this list (Cameroon) who felt that DNA and genealogical research was kind of useless for her due to there not being many records available for her to review.

I discussed with her some records and going to see about doing some research for her but this would be great for her to do as well if she is interested.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Cool - going to share this with some groups that I know have some African members. I was just speaking to a woman the other day from one of the countries on this list (Cameroon) who felt that DNA and genealogical research was kind of useless for her due to there not being many records available for her to review.

I discussed with her some records and going to see about doing some research for her but this would be great for her to do as well if she is interested.
She should do it whether interested or not. Looks like they're giving away the most expensive test. That's like a $200 gift. I'd surely jump on it. Once she does it she can upload to the free sites which may help her out with connecting to relatives who know more then she does. I just suggested doing DNA to my sons GF as she's been told there is Native American and African American in her family. I'm going to watch Ancestry test prices so my son can get her one for her birthday and watch prices on Black Friday for 23 and me for Christmas as she has health issues.

If she uploads to my heritage, she may end up getting lucky with connecting to relatives from that area. I love they show the countries matches are from. You know I love my heritage especially since I got in on everything for free. They're the most advanced and they have an app.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:45 PM

4,956 posts, read 3,320,683 times
I am still on the fence if I should do the test, but reading the list is certain locations, but they forgot all the islands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy