Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM

73 posts, read 93,033 times

Advertisements

I cannot find a good lead [through Familysearch, Ancestry, Myheritage, and searching many smaller databases online. A cousin's friend got just as far even with a trip to Lynn, MA city hall]
to the true origin of my maiden name. The dead end is with my Great Great Grandfather, Charles E. Pembern [see at the end the many variations of misspellings of the name as reference; I can see that the handwritten record IS PEMBURN]

Charles E. Pemburn DOB 1846 [in 1867 Census states birthplace of NEW YORK; in son's record 1900 Census stated as CANADA FR
DATE OF MARRIAGE: July 29, 1867, Lynn, MA
Spouse: Ellen “Nellie” A. Pratt – parents Stafford J. Pratt of Maine and Sarah “Sally” (Dill)
Ellen's DOB: April 17, 1849, Maine
Ellen's DOD: April 10, 1868 Lynn, MA Childbirth; living with parents , Rockaway St.; death record misinterpreted in transcribing as "Osburn"
Charles DOD: May 20, 1868 Suicide, by hanging; residing on Essex Ct (is County, but may also be street?) Lynn, MA, Occupation: Barber

Considering date of Charles Jr’s date of birth, and their date of marriage, it may have been that Nellie was pregnant when [and is why] they married- she was 18 years old, he was 21. He must have been so despondent, being so young and widowed with a newborn!

The orphaned baby, my Great Grandfather Charles S. Pemburn (I am assuming Stafford for middle name; it was also my father's middle name) was first cared for by his Great Grandmother Hannah Pratt Bates, and when she passed away two years later, his maternal Aunt Mary Pratt took over his care, and she remained with him as he raised his own family (including my Grandfather) decades later.

Some family members following the French Canada camp think the name is derived from (spelling somewhat phonetically) PEAMBEAU or PAMBERT (there is a French Canadian/Native Canadian family of PAMBURN but I do not think it is them, as they all migrated West).

The variations I have seen (mostly due to the transcribing from handwritten records): Pembern-Pimburn-Pembun-Pemburm-Panbern-Pemdun. Conversely, some PEMBURN records are actually Pembers, Tembers, etc. when the handwriting is studied.

My ancestry.com DNA Ethnicity is 42% Ireland & Scotland; 42% England, Wales, NW European; 12% Germanic European, and the distribution in New York State Settlers.

Thank you to anyone who can give me an inkling of a clue to find the origin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
There may be additional information in NARA civil war records
https://eservices.archives.gov/order...tnRowId=1-N9YP

Because Charles E Panbern (also under alias Charles E Panborn) served in Union army as a private in 17th Reg Mass Infantry Company C.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM

73 posts, read 93,033 times
Yes, @historyfan! I did come across that, but there was no background information! Thank you, I will see if I can order something through this link.
Thank you again!!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Have you tried americanancestors.org? New England Historic Genealogic Society. There are a bunch of Pemburns but I didn't look closely at the dates.

https://www.americanancestors.org/se...ecordType=true

They may have other documents that are not online.

Last edited by ansible90; 12-05-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBSouth View Post
Yes, @historyfan! I did come across that, but there was no background information! Thank you, I will see if I can order something through this link.Thank you again!!
Glad to help out.

Sometimes there are photos or other family info like correspondence in people's NARA files. I think it is worth the cost & time to request copies of what files contain.

--I did not find a civil war soldier pension for Charles the son on his father's account. But I believe he was eligible to receive one as his minor son. So something regarding it may be in his file.

You can look up the regiment on the National Parks Servuce website to find where it was during the civil war. https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldier...s-database.htm

Also there may be books written about his company or regiment...lpok at google books for titles. These might include soldier personal information. I have found diaries/journals of soldiers in companies I have been interested in. These can have entries that include stories about soldiers in their unit.

The museum or public library in his neighborhood may also have an archive for regiments with CW soldiers from the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy