U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 341 times

Advertisements

My entire life,all I heard was that my entire family were 100% Ashkenazi jews from Russia/ Poland.I grew up knowing all sides. Years later and delving further,I have found thru DNA that I have Sefardic Ancestory.My ethnicity shows Med Islands,Eurasian,North African,a lot of Italian,East Med and a lot of Caucuses.Nothing Eastern European or Russia.Having downloaded to to other sites free,there is Levantine,Poland. I had triangulation done tomshow Sefardic distant cousins in Mexico and other odd places.Searching the Jewish migration patterns,not unusual.A family myth has Italian Jewish on my paternal side.I indeed found that they changed surnames multiple times and my gt gf indeed lived in Italy but claimed to have been born in Russia.
The Sefardic aspect was hidden.His daughter was dark with olive skin.They spoke Yiddish.My family are all estranged and any attempts to find info have resulted in refusal.I don’t know why everything from their past was hidden,but I did find out some interesting things.Immigrants back then were able to re invent themselves here.So I have an army deserter,bigamist and jewel thief....lol.
Needless to say,there are things I still want to know,but never will. All this started as I had DNA done and did some genealogy.My mother had a file,as she started long ago.I am quite unsettled with all of this..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 AM

2,483 posts, read 5,035,097 times
Happy New Year and welcome to the forum. Genealogical discovery can be unnerving, but ultimately, knowledge is a good thing. For those who dig deep enough, we're all bound to find something uncomfortable, but be careful judging ancestors by today's standards. In the end, most of them did what they felt they needed to do to protect their families and their way of life. Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:33 PM

5,606 posts, read 8,959,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyelyn View Post
My entire life,all I heard was that my entire family were 100% Ashkenazi jews from Russia/ Poland.I grew up knowing all sides. Years later and delving further,I have found thru DNA that I have Sefardic Ancestory.My ethnicity shows Med Islands,Eurasian,North African,a lot of Italian,East Med and a lot of Caucuses.Nothing Eastern European or Russia.Having downloaded to to other sites free,there is Levantine,Poland. I had triangulation done tomshow Sefardic distant cousins in Mexico and other odd places.Searching the Jewish migration patterns,not unusual.A family myth has Italian Jewish on my paternal side.I indeed found that they changed surnames multiple times and my gt gf indeed lived in Italy but claimed to have been born in Russia.
The Sefardic aspect was hidden.His daughter was dark with olive skin.They spoke Yiddish.My family are all estranged and any attempts to find info have resulted in refusal.I don’t know why everything from their past was hidden,but I did find out some interesting things.Immigrants back then were able to re invent themselves here.So I have an army deserter,bigamist and jewel thief....lol.
Needless to say,there are things I still want to know,but never will. All this started as I had DNA done and did some genealogy.My mother had a file,as she started long ago.I am quite unsettled with all of this..
You should consider joining GEDmatch.com There is active forum there with 2 or 3 posters who are very knowledgeable and helpful in untangling Sephardic ancestors in otherwise Ashkenazi Jewish family trees.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM

10,335 posts, read 5,542,533 times
Interesting thread. Those of us who do not have recent Jewish ancestry (I have maybe 2% Ashkenazi) are not very aware of the differences in Jewish groups. I have a friend in Israel who is Ashkenazi but the spouse is Sephardic Iraqi and their families won't talk to them.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:15 PM

4,816 posts, read 2,456,261 times
Have you done any research on JewishGen.org? It's awkward to use but they do have data that doesn't exist anywhere else.

There were Sephardic migrations to the Ashkenazi towns in Europe. I can't remember exactly but I think it may have happened during several time periods.

Regarding estranged family... if you find DNA Relatives from the younger generations, they may be more inclined to communicate with you than their parents or grandparents -- that is, if they know any of the family surnames which many do not know beyond their own mother's maiden name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy