Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Everyone's freaking out again because FTDNA has now given permission for the FBI to upload DNA to their database and agreed to test some of the DNA samples: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...BfolBsR9kFyyXw

Note: "On a case-by-case basis, the company has agreed to test DNA samples for the FBI and upload profiles to its database, allowing law enforcement to see familial matches to crime-scene samples. FamilyTreeDNA said law enforcement may not freely browse genetic data but rather has access only to the same information any user might."

Any company that allows DNA uploads from the public can allow law enforcement to do the same. They’re not doing anything you, me, or Joe Shmoe can’t do and they don't have access to anything we don't. It’d be like saying law enforcement can’t use the phone book to get someone’s contact details, even though the phone book is available to anyone else. It’s a public database, this is what public means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Everyone's freaking out again because FTDNA has now given permission for the FBI to upload DNA to their database and agreed to test some of the DNA samples: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...BfolBsR9kFyyXw

Note: "On a case-by-case basis, the company has agreed to test DNA samples for the FBI and upload profiles to its database, allowing law enforcement to see familial matches to crime-scene samples. FamilyTreeDNA said law enforcement may not freely browse genetic data but rather has access only to the same information any user might."

Any company that allows DNA uploads from the public can allow law enforcement to do the same. They’re not doing anything you, me, or Joe Shmoe can’t do and they don't have access to anything we don't. It’d be like saying law enforcement can’t use the phone book to get someone’s contact details, even though the phone book is available to anyone else. It’s a public database, this is what public means.
Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen it yet. I don't know how I feel. I would be pissed if it was ancestry where I keep my tree. I do have trees attached to my samples at FTDNA and may be removing them. I rarely use the site. The tree does nothing for me there.

People who break the law should be caught. My relatives included if they did something like the Golden state killer.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:10 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I have no problem with this.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:50 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Hey, maybe they will find a close match for that ambiguous FTDNA Y-test result I got back last week!

Yeah, I have no problem with this either. The matching function of these services is something you agree to in the TOS. Others can and do use this for research purposes, be it genealogy or police work.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen it yet. I don't know how I feel. I would be pissed if it was ancestry where I keep my tree. I do have trees attached to my samples at FTDNA and may be removing them. I rarely use the site. The tree does nothing for me there.

People who break the law should be caught. My relatives included if they did something like the Golden state killer.
I removed my trees. They may be able to take my DNA to make matches but I won't provide them my trees; the little I do have on my family. I can't give them my son's fathers side which I got a lot farther on. They can find the work from someone else with a public tree.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:42 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
To be honest, even the trees don’t bother me as long as living people are privatized, which I believe they are. In the past, Gedmatch didn’t privatize living people in uploaded gedcoms but I think they do now (in the past, I just privatized them myself in my gedcom export from FTM).

Old 02-02-2019, 05:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I have no problem with this.
Neither do I.

If I can help a John or Jane Doe at morgue be identified, and help bring relief or closure to a family who has a loved one missing, then I'm over the bleeding Moon to be able to do that.

If I can help identify a criminal, and bring closure to a victim's family and also help prevent the lives of others from being destroyed by that criminal, then I'm all for it.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Neither do I.

If I can help a John or Jane Doe at morgue be identified, and help bring relief or closure to a family who has a loved one missing, then I'm over the bleeding Moon to be able to do that.

If I can help identify a criminal, and bring closure to a victim's family and also help prevent the lives of others from being destroyed by that criminal, then I'm all for it.
You said it much better than I could.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Any company that allows DNA uploads from the public can allow law enforcement to do the same. They’re not doing anything you, me, or Joe Shmoe can’t do and they don't have access to anything we don't.
Well, not exactly. Law enforcement is submitting the DNA samples without the consent of the people they collect it from. You, me, and Joe Shmoe can't do that. However much I would like to track certain relatives and pick up their discarded coffee cups or toothpicks, we're not legally allowed to submit samples without consent. I'm not against the FBI using the databases, I just wouldn't say they're doing the same thing as everyone else.

I just wonder what happens if the FBI finds that they have a sample that is a close match to yours or to someone whose kit you manage. Can they require you to cooperate by providing family information?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
If a person never submits a DNA sample, they will not show up. If a person tests with one site, they will only come up with a match if you yourself tested with that same site. Your relative would have to upload their DNA to your site to get a match. My 2nd Cousin came up on Ancestry which I initially tested with. My Daughter was a match in Mother/Daughter relationship when I uploaded to FTDNA. Neither of them showed up on both sites because they did not upload to multiple sites. My tree is only on Ancestry. I never uploaded to GEDCOM.

Coffee cups? I doubt these ancestry DNA testing sites have the capability to do that. Actually, 23 and me could not read my spit sample in a test tube. They asked me to submit another sample. It does say in the instructions that sometimes they might not be able to read the sample.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy