Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,008,931 times

Advertisements

Sure, now Ancestry DNA is 59.00. Yesterday I purchased it for my cousin at $99.00. Lucky me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:54 PM

23,821 posts, read 33,339,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Sure, now Ancestry DNA is 59.00. Yesterday I purchased it for my cousin at $99.00. Lucky me...
It was on sale yesterday, I posted in the sale thread. Call ancestry, they should give it to you for the sale price if not tell them you're gonna cancel it and reorder. A few people posted on their FB post, they were told the same thing, to call

Click on the arrow to go to the thread then subscribe to comments FTDNA announced their sale today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Ancestry is having a St Patrick's day sale ending 3/18 for $59 link

My heritage is on sale for $69 that ends in 3 days. I don't suggest doing it when you can upload your RAW results from ancestry for free My Heritage DNA

I looked at 23 and me and FTDNA, no sales. FTDNA allows uploads like My Heritage; they also allow the FBI to upload DNA samples from crime scenes

Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,008,931 times
Too late. My cousin already got it in the mail and did the test. Oh well...

Old 03-09-2019, 05:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,263,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Too late. My cousin already got it in the mail and did the test. Oh well...
Roselvr and PA2UK probably know better than most, but it seems Ancestry has various sales of varying degrees throughout the year especially around holidays like Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Black Friday Week, etc.

So if people are thinking about picking up a kit or two or three and it's near one of those holidays and they can possibly wait a week or so to see if there is a sale from the normal $99 price, then I would wait.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Right now it's priced at $69.Thanks for the tip, folks!

Old 03-09-2019, 07:39 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,619,822 times
Ugh. Forgot about St. Patrick's Day. I bought it at $69 (including the traits) for my sister on Valentine's Day because I couldn't think of another holiday in between then and my sister's birthday in April. At least I'll have her DNA before her birthday.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,263,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you go through Amazon and select free shipping, I was able to get it for $62.54 ($59.99 + tax).

Old 03-10-2019, 12:15 AM

4,446 posts, read 2,912,036 times
Default just curious...

Regardless of the price, what's the motivation for obtaining a DNA analysis?
I'd to learn, for example, what was my grandfather's grandfather's name,
what town did he live in, etc. DNA data can't tell me those things.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 AM

23,821 posts, read 33,339,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Use my link in post 2, it's $59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Ugh. Forgot about St. Patrick's Day. I bought it at $69 (including the traits) for my sister on Valentine's Day because I couldn't think of another holiday in between then and my sister's birthday in April. At least I'll have her DNA before her birthday.
$69 isn't bad. I've been watching it for 4 years, it doesn't go $59 that often. Last year was mothers day $59, fathers day was $69 then black Friday $59. $59 is a newer price point they throw out a few times a year I think because my heritage is gaining on them with over 2.5 million samples. The problem is we don't know when it will be that low as it's a newer price point. $69 used to be as low as they went until last mothers day. I bought a bunch of tests so I had them. I still have to do my grandson. My grand daughter is 2, will probably get her a my heritage mouth swab next year to see what ethnicities she is. She's mixed but doesn't look it at all which makes me wonder how much of her fathers DNA she got. He's very light skinned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It may be able to if you get a cousin match that knows that info. I just happened to get one that could tell me what my dad's grandfathers name was. Unfortunately she hasn't logged in since matching my uncle in early December to give me more info. She was my 3rd cousin but my uncles 2nd cousin

I then uploaded free to my heritage which has tons of Europe matches. My uncle has about 30 matches in Hungary and 30 more in each European country. I just have to go thru them. I highly recommend my heritage

See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions for directions.

My Heritage used to offer everything for free, now it's family matching for free and you have to pay for the cool tools. See my post My Heritage will start charging to upload autosomal DNA Dec 17th (extended) - FREE until then We still do not know exactly how much they're charging for the tools. I sent them an email a week ago, it hasn't been answered yet. It should be between $19 and $30

To go to the post I quoted, click the arrow in the quoted post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just read their blog. They're still going to allow free uploads after Dec 1st with free family matching but they're going to do like FTDNA is doing and charge to unlock ethnicity and chromosome browser. I'm not sure what they're doing with showing matches family trees and surnames. Of course I had just sent them an email because I was getting worried I won't be able to upload my uncle's who's will finally reach ancestry on Monday after being in Hungary since August! I also asked if they're interested in his DNA for the founders project since they used me.

New: MyHeritage supports 23andMe v5 and Living DNA uploads - by Esther · September 12, 2018 · MyHeritage News

Quote:
Upcoming changes
As of December 1, 2018, our policy regarding DNA uploads will change: DNA Matching will remain free for uploaded DNA data, but unlocking additional DNA features (for example, ethnicity estimate, chromosome browser, and some others) will require an extra payment for DNA files uploaded after this date. We will announce the full details of the new policy once it is finalized, closer to December 1st. All DNA data that was uploaded to MyHeritage in the past, and all DNA data that is uploaded now and prior to December 1, 2018, will continue to enjoy full access to all DNA features for free. These uploads will be grandfathered in and will remain free.

So, don’t delay, and upload your DNA data to MyHeritage now, while all the DNA features are free (and they will remain free for you). If you have tested with 23andMe (any versions including v5) or Living DNA, you’re in luck, and you can now upload this data to MyHeritage too. You can also upload DNA data from Ancestry and Family Tree DNA’s Family Finder test. Instructions for exporting your data and uploading it to MyHeritage are provided on our upload page.
Also DNA Matches
DNA Matches are other users on MyHeritage from around the world who are likely to be your relatives based on shared DNA. MyHeritage has a very strong user base in Europe, so you are likely to get more DNA Matches from Europe than on any other DNA service. This is extremely useful if you have ancestors from Europe.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-10-2019 at 03:23 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM

12,049 posts, read 10,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
As someone mentioned, you can find people that match up and they might have information.

Or you can verify that the information you have is correct. I was able to establish that our family name did have another variation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy