Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,526,149 times

Advertisements

Here we go.

Name: Jacob Herron
Spouse: Adinah Arbogast
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 21 Mar 1874
County: Randolph
State: West Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Here we go.

Name: Jacob Herron
Spouse: Adinah Arbogast
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 21 Mar 1874
County: Randolph
State: West Virginia

Good find! So, the HERRON connection is that Jacob's wife is an ARBOGAST.

That explains why Anna & John married at the HERRON farm.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Since the OP had said Anna was born in 1875, I had not looked at 1870 census, but Anna (from 1900 census info) seems to have been born earlier I looked at 1870 census & found this in Monroe County (about 3 hours drive from Barbour or Randolph Counties though.)

John FOY (age 39) & Ann FOY (age 38), both born Ireland, he is a farm hand, lives in Sweet Water Township, Monroe Cty, WV.

Children all born WV:
Elizabeth (age 6)
Thomas (age 3)
Annie (age 4 months)

On same page is Ann FOY, born Ireland, age 53 (my guess she might be John's mother.)

Little Annie's father is John (like OP said), but I'd feel more confident if they lived in Barbour or Randolph County.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Good find! So, the HERRON connection is that Jacob's wife is an ARBOGAST.

That explains why Anna & John married at the HERRON farm.
Yes. She was John Arbogast's older sister. That eliminates Herron as Anna's maiden name.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Since the OP had said Anna was born in 1875, I had not looked at 1870 census, but Anna (from 1900 census info) seems to have been born earlier I looked at 1870 census & found this in Monroe County (about 3 hours drive from Barbour or Randolph Counties though.)

John FOY (age 39) & Ann FOY (age 38), both born Ireland, he is a farm hand, lives in Sweet Water Township, Monroe Cty, WV.

Children all born WV:
Elizabeth (age 6)
Thomas (age 3)
Annie (age 4 months)

On same page is Ann FOY, born Ireland, age 53 (my guess she might be John's mother.)

Little Annie's father is John (like OP said), but I'd feel more confident if they lived in Barbour or Randolph County.

Except in census Anna reported her parents were born in West Virginia & Virginia.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:52 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Except in census Anna reported her parents were born in West Virginia & Virginia.
I am sure I am not telling you anything you don't already know........but POB on the census can very much vary from decade to decade for the same person. It is great when it all synches up, but I am run into this exact problem. Ancestor was from a minor German state, have the naturalization papers to prove it, his census records agree, but many of his kids listed his POB as "PA" in the census many years later when asked for "father's place of birth."

Old 03-28-2019, 02:54 PM

I think there must be some piece of data that we are missing here. Maybe her father was not named John or maybe she was adopted or taken in by a different family?

Maybe the OP will come back & give us some more info, if they know anything else about Anna or her parents?

Old 03-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I think there must be some piece of data that we are missing here. Maybe her father was not named John or maybe she was adopted or taken in by a different family?

Maybe the OP will come back & give us some more info, if they know anything else about Anna or her parents?

Yes. OP, where exactly did name John Foy appear, on a document? There are other Foy families with an Anna.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,935 times
Sorry, I've been gone from here. You all have done some fine work. I just did find out that the John Herron, at who's house Anna and John were married, was John Arbogast brother in law like you said. Adinah would have been my second great aunt, and I've actually seen a picture of her. She has native heritage. However, I still cannot find Anna anywhere. My guess is that perhaps her family did not like her marriage and erased her from the find a grave memorials, OR they didn't know any more about her when their memorials were made than I do now. A lot of the find a grave memorials are done by decedents and perhaps they couldn't find any information either. The family has passed down rumors which aren't true, and I do know how Anna died, but can't prove it. My grandma was only four or five when her mother (Anna) died. I still will look for her family when I get time. I have distant dna matches that have Foy in their trees, but none of them have what I am looking for. Her husband John passed away only a couple years after she did. I can find everything about him, because he was down the line in my ancestry. She would have been 40 when she passed away and he was somewhere between 42 and 44. He died from typhoid fever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy