Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Pretty sure it's a first cousin due to the dates/about 3-4 years my uncle lived in the town, dates are solid (in old journal with m/d/y) conception would have occurred about 3 months before he left area according to birthdate. No other immediate family was ever in the area. And...lots of drinking going on at that time in his life.
I didn't mean to question you, just pointing out that the estimates of how people may be related aren't always right .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 11:48 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I didn't mean to question you, just pointing out that the estimates of how people may be related aren't always right .
I suppose if there was a unknown uncle, from either of my grandparents, or my GP siblings, who I am not totally familiar with. It's such a coincidence on the dates my late uncle was in that town is hard to not speculate what the possibility is.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
centiMorgans will tell you

Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Thanks for the chart. A lot of possibilities fall under the range for 1st cousin, could be first half cousin and a few others. I don't know if my brother got the #'s along with or if it just said first cousin possibility.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:31 PM

That chart is what made us realize the surprise family members were not cousins, but nephew and niece.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:00 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Thanks for the chart. A lot of possibilities fall under the range for 1st cousin, could be first half cousin and a few others. I don't know if my brother got the #'s along with or if it just said first cousin possibility.
Go to the link below. Put in the amount of cM's you share, it will tell you using that chart what relationship the person is
The Shared cM Project 3.0 tool v4

Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Great link! Much easier to find the right relationships.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW to NEPA View Post
When my results turned up two half-sibs I didn't know about, one of them immediately wrote me when the match popped up letting me know in some terse terms that I was "certainly not her first cousin" and that I was mistaken in claiming that. First, I hadn't made any claim at all, in fact she saw the DNA match on Ancestry before I even knew my results were posted! Second, the results themselves did not say I was a first cousin, instead I was matched with her as "close family." I was a little offended, I admit, that she took me to task for some claim I never made.
A classic case of "The lady doth protest too much."

Old 07-04-2019, 05:27 AM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just had the same thing as OP happen, just last week.

I got a message on Ancestry from a first cousin no one knew about until she dna tested. She matched with me. She was asking about my Uncle (my mother’s brother). She finally had gotten the truth from her elderly mother, that my uncle was her father. The affair happened when her mother was in her 40s and my uncle in his 50s. My uncles family and this cousin lived in Utah, while the rest of the family was in New England.

Uncle died many years ago, and his only living sibling is my 91 year old aunt. I assume nobody in our family knew about this daughter.

Anyway, this new cousin is younger than the rest of the cousins. She is 48, and the rest of us are in our 60s and 70s. She is lovely, and has a handsome husband and 4 beautiful children. All she wanted was to know any medical information, what her father was like, and if I had a picture of him. I shared what I remembered about my uncle, and I wrote another cousin to see if his mother might have a photo of her brother. I’ll leave it up to him whether to tell his mother about the new cousin.

I doubt I’ll ever see this cousin, due to geography, but I was very glad to hear from her. In her position, I would be eager for information, so I was glad to help.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I'm still trying to figure things out but it looks like we have a whole branch of the family nobody knew about. They live in the same city and spell their name a bit differently but DNA shows a close connection. The common ancestor is unknown at this point but probably 1880 - 1920 era. There was a huge rift in my (known) family about 1920 with the two branches quite speaking or associating so finding out the connection might be difficult. The new branch has very little information to go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy