Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Still didn't work with Chrome. Do you have to have a subscription to use Thrulines? I only have the free account associated with buying the DNA kits.
It says it’s in beta so it should work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Still didn't work with Chrome. Do you have to have a subscription to use Thrulines? I only have the free account associated with buying the DNA kits.
You shouldn't need a subscription to get ThruLines, but you will need one to see the details: https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...yDNA-ThruLines

"On your ThruLines page, you'll see how you may be related to your DNA matches through common ancestors. Click on a person to see which DNA matches may be related to you through the person you selected.
The number of your DNA matches who could be related to you through this ancestor will be listed on the top of the page. You can toggle between the Relationships view and a list of the person's children (A). In the Relationships view, the person you clicked on will appear at the top (B). Everyone who has the DNA symbol (C) by their name is one of your DNA matches. If you see a number with an arrow by it (D), click on it to expand it. People who appear as "Private" (E) are either living people or people from private but searchable family trees. If you click on anyone on this page, you'll need a subscription to see more about them."

However, I doubt that would cause a blank "loading" page, it should say something like you'll need a subscription or invite from the tree owner to view this tree. It sounds to me like you should be able to view the ThruLines basic pathways, you just can't open up the trees from there.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You shouldn't need a subscription to get ThruLines, but you will need one to see the details: https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...yDNA-ThruLines

"On your ThruLines page, you'll see how you may be related to your DNA matches through common ancestors. Click on a person to see which DNA matches may be related to you through the person you selected.
The number of your DNA matches who could be related to you through this ancestor will be listed on the top of the page. You can toggle between the Relationships view and a list of the person's children (A). In the Relationships view, the person you clicked on will appear at the top (B). Everyone who has the DNA symbol (C) by their name is one of your DNA matches. If you see a number with an arrow by it (D), click on it to expand it. People who appear as "Private" (E) are either living people or people from private but searchable family trees. If you click on anyone on this page, you'll need a subscription to see more about them."

However, I doubt that would cause a blank "loading" page, it should say something like you'll need a subscription or invite from the tree owner to view this tree. It sounds to me like you should be able to view the ThruLines basic pathways, you just can't open up the trees from there.
Thanks for explaining. I still don't have any. I can't believe it with my son's one relative he matches the son who I work with plug his mother and uncle. Both trees are large enough and have the same ancestors in them. We match on My Heritages version of thru lines

Old 04-15-2019, 02:42 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Thanks everyone. So, I looked at Thrulines in detail. Most of the ancestors are showing what is described above: lists of names and estimated relationships for the ancestor. These are all close family, aunts, uncles, 1st cousins, etc.

The ancestor that isn't working just brings up the "loading" tab and a blank page. She is a more distant ancestor, which is why finding a possible "Thruline match" was interesting. My only hypothesis as to why it isn't working is that this is an ancestor who appears twice on the tree, maybe Thrulines is bonking trying to figure out "which one" of those people is the ancestor?

Speaking of which.........does Ancestry trees have any function that allows you to merge ancestors to account for endogamy? I know most GEDcom technology allows you to create trees this way, but I have never found that function on Ancestry.com.

Last edited by westsideboy; 04-15-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. So, I looked at Thrulines in detail. Most of the ancestors are showing what is described above: lists of names and estimated relationships for the ancestor. These are all close family, aunts, uncles, 1st cousins, etc.

The ancestor that isn't working just brings up the "loading" tab and a blank page. She is a more distant ancestor, which is why finding a possible "Thruline match" was interesting. My only hypothesis as to why it isn't working is that this is an ancestor who appears twice on the tree, maybe Thrulines is bonking trying to figure out "which one" of those people is the ancestor?
That still sounds like a browser or server problem - ancestors who don't have any ThruLines won't show just a blank loading page. AncestryDNA does seem to be having some problems lately, I just tried to load it and it's not working at all in Chrome, but did in Edge. Did you try clearing your browser's cache/cookies? I have ancestors who appear twice in my tree and ThruLines didn't struggle with them.

Quote:
Speaking of which.........does Ancestry trees have any function that allows you to merge ancestors to account for endogamy? I know most GEDcom technology allows you to create trees this way, but I have never found that function on Ancestry.com.
Yes, open the profile for one of the duplicates and click "Tools" in the upper right, then select "Merge with Duplicate".

Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
I'm getting a blank page for one potential ancestor, but the others are working.

One individual is listed on several relatives trees, but none of us know the exact connection of this person in relation to us...is he a brother of my great grandfather or is he a half brother of my great grandfather. What's interesting is Thrulines is entering him twice! He is listed as a potential ancestor who is a brother of my grandfather, and is again listed as a potential ancestor who is a half-brother of my grandfather! It seems Thrulines makes the connection between what is listed on our trees and DNA (and sometimes the trees conflict with one another).

Another new thing (maybe an error?) these random possible ancestors...the individuals who have the trees no longer have the notation that they are DNA related or not. No mention whatsoever. And when you click on the individual's profile, the profile page doesn't exist. (But you can view there tree if public).

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That still sounds like a browser or server problem - ancestors who don't have any ThruLines won't show just a blank loading page. AncestryDNA does seem to be having some problems lately, I just tried to load it and it's not working at all in Chrome, but did in Edge. Did you try clearing your browser's cache/cookies? I have ancestors who appear twice in my tree and ThruLines didn't struggle with them.

Yes, open the profile for one of the duplicates and click "Tools" in the upper right, then select "Merge with Duplicate".
Thanks. Merging done. Some improvements to the look of the tree, but not as much as hoped. Weird question........are there any 3D gedcom tools? All you need to add is a third dimension (depth) and it would be much easier to understand complex family trees. Using 2D still creates situations where the names appear multiple times on the tree, when in reality they are the same person. 3D would allow you the spatial ability to account for the same ancestor having multiple children you descend from and the reality that sometimes this makes the same person related to you in different ways (For instance, a 3rd great grandmother one way, a 4th great grandmother through another line.)

Sometimes I think these services try to prevent creating trees and information that clearly show endogamy, like when people see it they will freak out, cancel their service, erase their tree, etc.

It didn't help Thrulines though. The merged ancestor still brings up that "Loading page."

Old 04-16-2019, 08:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:

It didn't help Thrulines though. The merged ancestor still brings up that "Loading page."

Have you sent feedback to them? It took about three weeks for my feedback to get to ancestry and to be fixed, but I think they finally fixed it.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Have you sent feedback to them? It took about three weeks for my feedback to get to ancestry and to be fixed, but I think they finally fixed it.
Yes, I used the feedback button, which did appear even though the page says "loading." The whole Thrulines system is acting weird. I have another ancestor who Thrulines correctly connects to an aunt and 1st cousin. When I click on that ancestor's father (linked in the tree) the aunt and 1st cousin don't appear.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM

I think they're having server problem - today I'm getting the same blank loading page, and not just on ThruLines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy