Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times

Advertisements

Not sure if my question correct way to describe on one half of my maternal side the male line upwards goes back but also I find many that had a double sometimes a triple surname. In the list of surnames it mentions note proceeded on with one surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 12:07 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Huh? Like Mary Anne Smith Jones?

Or like how a lot of latinos have two last names?

Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Or like the French have dit names?

Surname customs vary by country.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Can you give us some examples of what you mean? And what nationality are these names?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 PM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Yes I know of the spanish and latin american custom of double surnames you get surname from father and from mother.
Is more like when people divorce and they drop the marriage surname. Use only maiden name.
Is a variety of nationalities in many countries. The more countries I search the more I find and still busy searching.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Yes I know of the spanish and latin american custom of double surnames you get surname from father and from mother.
Is more like when people divorce and they drop the marriage surname. Use only maiden name.
Is a variety of nationalities in many countries. The more countries I search the more I find and still busy searching.
It was typical in Italy for women to retain their maiden name, but the children took their father's name only.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
It's just cultural. Just like in Norway and Sweden they would put father's name + dotter or son. It causes a ton of confusion for us Americans who are used to wife taking husband's name and kids having dad's name. There's women in education and academia who retain their maiden names. There are women who maintain their maiden name because they're the last child in a family line. There are kids that get adopted and get their new family's name . It just depends on the situation.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
And to further complicate things, you have scenarios like my oldest son who is seriously considering changing his last name to that of my father - because my brothers aren't going to have sons so he doesn't want that name to die out - plus he was much closer to my dad (his granddad) than he was to his own father.

But it's a weird, Germanic last name so I'm not really encouraging him to do that!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And to further complicate things, you have scenarios like my oldest son who is seriously considering changing his last name to that of my father - because my brothers aren't going to have sons so he doesn't want that name to die out - plus he was much closer to my dad (his granddad) than he was to his own father.

But it's a weird, Germanic last name so I'm not really encouraging him to do that!
My son was going to do the same thing for the same reasons but didn't and I don't recall why. Now that I'm into doing trees and doing DNA I'm glad he didn't because it may confuse things for whoever does genealogy down the line and even if he changed his last name; his Y-DNA will still show his Scottish last name.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Well some english families use double names.Say for example John Smith-Burns(a made up name) or the late Queen Mother of england , who was born Elizabeth Bowes Lyon. (Help me here english folk on that one) So you son could do that if he wished. Kathryn Aragon, so what is the weird germanic last name your son was considering? I have some cousins named von Lilienschild. It means of lily shield in german.They took their last name from their coat of arms. Now my dad when he attended Boys Technical High School in Milwaukee back in the 1930s, had a teacher named Mr.Grosskumpf.I might be misspelling the last part, but my dad said it meant the teacher was Mr.Bighead in german My dad said germanic surnames
can be very descriptive, especially of psyhical characteristics. In the district I work for ,we have an O.G.Wiederstein.
Nevwer forget the Kodak copier salesman laughing at that one, since he was german himself. It means a stone penis or wieder. This is not a joke. So I guess if you know or understand german, you may have been right to discourage your son from using it. But other countries have weird or odd names too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy