Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race my uncle is?
European 29 70.73%
Native American 2 4.88%
Black 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 17,740,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Then he is a human from planet Earth.
There is NO SCIENCE that tells you your race based on percentage of possible geographic origination.
Somebody, please let me know: can a DNA determine your race? What is race anyway besides variation in skin color?
DNA can determine whether (and in what typically accurate percentage amount) your ancestry/DNA comes from Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, or the Americas (possibly also Pacific Islands/Indigenous Australia). I know European isn't really a race, it would likely be more accurate to say Caucasian/Caucasoid, but the DNA tests don't normally use that term.

I would agree that terminology like "white" or "black" are social constructs, but that doesn't mean biological race doesn't exist. You think DNA can't accurately tell the difference between someone with 100% European ancestry, someone with 100% SSA ancestry? Yes, it absolutely can. Because it's our DNA which determines those "variations in skin color", among many, many other things in our bodies.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I bet Ozark just by the slip of the tongue told us that it is about him, not uncle? And Ozark identifies as white and was upset to discover 10% of black or 25% of Amerindian or both?
So he is trying CD therapy and want to hear that he is Caucasian?
No, IIRC he has posted his own ethnicity reports from multiple sources in the past, and while he does have a mixed ancestry, he has never been upset by it as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Holly tree was right: the OP should have included a mixed race categories, as in one of the posts OP was chastising me when I suggested that racial identification is very much the way you were raised and your surroundings.
Agreed.

Quote:
The Obama identified as black ( political reasons?) but was raised mostly as white..and biologically 50% white?
He probably identifies as black because he has been treated as black his whole life. His mother raised him and she is white, but you have no idea how she raised, and our parents are not our only influences in life.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:14 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,329,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
My uncle got his DNA results the other day, and his results are:
65% European
25% Native American
10% Sub Saharan African

Would you consider him European, Native American or African?
Please vote above.
I didn't vote because you failed to include a category. "AMERICAN!" America is a melting pot of races.

My father and his father and mother were born in Oklahoma. It has been part of our family lore since I was little that we are part native American. Cherokee to be precise. I was always rather pleased by that. And, America being a melting pot of races, it wouldn't have surprised me to discover that I also had some African ancestry thrown in for good measure.

When I had my DNA analysed a couple of years ago, the results showed that my ancestry is English, Scottish, German and some Scandinavian. No markers for native American or African were found at all. How boring! I was a bit disappointed.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:32 PM

661 posts, read 868,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No - one may have descended from the other, but they have been separated for long enough that they became distinctly different. Technically, we all descend from Africa if you go back far enough, that doesn't make us all African.
How do you explain this?, even the Vikings are related to Siberians?
My only explanation is the Siberians crossed to Alaska and crossed to Iceland too from Northern Asia. Native Americans have haplogroup C1 as well.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:51 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,214,902 times
Quote:
My uncle got his DNA results the other day, and his results are:
65% European
25% Native American
10% Sub Saharan African

Would you consider him European, Native American or African?
Please vote above.
When I read the title of this post, I thought for sure the rest of it was going to read

"And he is definitely NOT the father of this child!"

Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM

6,921 posts, read 11,169,904 times
Quote:
My only explanation is the Siberians crossed to Alaska and crossed to Iceland too from Northern Asia. Native Americans have haplogroup C1 as well.

Scandinavians do have small, but noticeable amounts of "Siberian" DNA on the deeper ethnicity calculators on GEDmatch. It is one of the methods the tests use to try and differentiate Germans and other NW Europeans from Scandinavians in Oracle.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I didn't vote because you failed to include a category. "AMERICAN!" America is a melting pot of races.
American is a nationality and the DNA ethnicity test has nothing to do with nationality. But yes, a "mixed race" category would have been ideal.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Those are mtDNA haplogroups and nothing to do with ethnicity reports. Haplogroups go back much, much further than ethnicity reports do. All this is showing is exactly what I said: that one group descends from another if you go back far enough - not that they are the same.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM

661 posts, read 868,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Those are mtDNA haplogroups and nothing to do with ethnicity reports. Haplogroups go back much, much further than ethnicity reports do. All this is showing is exactly what I said: that one group descends from another if you go back far enough - not that they are the same.
It shows that Native Americans came from Asia.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
It shows that Native Americans came from Asia.
I didn't say they didn't. In fact, I agreed they did - that's what "descended from" means. But they have been in the Americas for long enough to develop their own distinct autosomal DNA from Asians. Just like Europeans descend from Africa, but they have been in Europe long enough to have their own distinct DNA from Africans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy