Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:03 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,870,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
No guilty conscience. The sixties and seventies were different times. You’ve heard of the sexual revolution? It was after the pill came about, and then there was Roe v Wade. Between marriages in the late 70s, I was having a good time. Once I remarried in the early 80s I settled back down, always wondering if I might someday get a knock on the door from someone looking to help with their college expenses. Once I hit thirty years of marriage later on, I figured it’s safe to assume none of my old partners kept any surprises a secret. This is something that I am certain a lot of men my age think about. Maybe not a majority, but a significant number just the same.

I’ve been thinking about getting my DNA tested to see what they tell me about my ancestors. Some of our children have done that already. The numbers jived with what I had been told of my origins, so I never bothered. Now they are using familial testing results to find criminals they could not find in other ways. I applaud that. My mind got to wandering one day. In spite of the sexual revolution, in a lot of areas of the country, it was still frowned upon to have a child outside of marriage. That was the reason for my OP.
If you have any unknown children out there, they will show as half-siblings to your known-children who have already tested. You don't have to do the test yourself for them to be able to find you. But they are probably past college age now (but maybe still paying their student loans ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Lately there have been many stories about Criminals being caught by using familial DNA, where they had no previous samples of the actual criminal. My thoughts are that this is great. Then I started to wonder what if:

Some poor sap, 40-50 years ago has a one night stand and his partner get pregnant. The she concocts a story about being raped, but never gives accurate information about the man. Then the progeny uses the new method to track down the “rapist”?

What then?
This has happened? You know of a case like this?

A more typical case would be if a man assaults and rapes a woman, who decides to press charges. Her character is assailed in court. How were you dressed? What had you been drinking? Had you flirted with the defendant? How many sexual experiences have you had?

What then?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times
Quote:
No guilty conscience. The sixties and seventies were different times. You’ve heard of the sexual revolution? It was after the pill came about, and then there was Roe v Wade. Between marriages in the late 70s, I was having a good time. Once I remarried in the early 80s I settled back down, always wondering if I might someday get a knock on the door from someone looking to help with their college expenses. Once I hit thirty years of marriage later on, I figured it’s safe to assume none of my old partners kept any surprises a secret. This is something that I am certain a lot of men my age think about. Maybe not a majority, but a significant number just the same.
I don't doubt you're right about men wondering if a knock will eventually come.

I help a lady who's son Eric found out he had a daughter in 2010 when the daughter was about 16. He dropped everything; including his wife. The marriage was bad anyway. He went to Michigan to meet his daughter. His ex girlfriend was married but in an unhappy marriage, both of them were seeing other people. Eric was not the 1st guy she had dated while still being married.

While he was there, he and his ex girlfriend started seeing each other. Long story short, her husband was not happy for a few reasons. He had raised Eric's daughter like his own and was very protective of her. After a few months, Eric and the ex rented a house together. He told his mother that he may not check in regularly as there wasn't a decent cell connection where they were going to be living. At some point my friend got an email that she said sounded strange but didn't do anything about it. Eventually she realized she hadn't heard from Eric in a long time, ended up reporting him missing. It's thought her husband killed Eric. He and his car were not seen again after March 2011.

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about getting my DNA tested to see what they tell me about my ancestors. Some of our children have done that already. The numbers jived with what I had been told of my origins, so I never bothered. Now they are using familial testing results to find criminals they could not find in other ways. I applaud that. My mind got to wandering one day. In spite of the sexual revolution, in a lot of areas of the country, it was still frowned upon to have a child outside of marriage. That was the reason for my OP.
GEDmatch Genesis allows LE access to their database as it's a public database. FTDNA is the only private company allowing it; customers are pissed. Some deleted their samples; some like me took them offline. Some were Y-DNA which is paternal line testing; which were not cheap and others were mtDNA, the mothers side which also isn't cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Forcibly? Or only with consent?
It can be court ordered. My grandsons was. My daughter needed benefits like health insurance so she went to welfare. They would not give them until he was paternity tested. Welfare had to get an order

Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,041,054 times
Quote:
In a lot of states, she wouldn't even be able to file a police report on a rape after that much time has passed. It exceeds most (if not all) statutes of limitation (although some states don't have a statute of limitation on rape).

If she reported a rape, because she got pregnant in consensual sex and wanted to avoid that stigma, but gave vague or false descriptions of the guy she actually had sex with, the case might stay open forever, if there were no statute of limitations. If she never changed her story, the state could always pick it up later on when DNA might track down the guy. By that time, if the woman is still alive, she may have been telling the story so long that she even believes the lie, or she may be so invested in what she has been telling the daughter or son, that she won’t change the story.

I know this is something that may never happen, but strange things have made it into the courts before.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
They likely wouldn't be able to do that without the father taking a DNA test to confirm their findings. Remember, even in criminal cases, they only use familial DNA to narrow down their suspects - once they think they have identified the right suspect, they can't convict on that alone, they still need to run the suspect's DNA to confirm. I'm no lawyer, but I imagine they can't force a suspected father to take a DNA test so the whole endeavor would likely be moot. I think in criminal cases, they can get a court order for a DNA test on a suspect even if the suspect refuses to consent to one, but for a simple child support case, I think it's highly unlikely a judge would ever grant a court order to force a DNA test like that.
In every state? Some states have a different idea of “equal justice for all”.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Children of one night stands who were never told who their father was do often turn to DNA to identify their fathers. It happens all the time now. I've helped a few people do this but in each case the fathers I found were already deceased. Sometimes half-siblings or aunts/uncles cooperate by submitting DNA to confirm the connection, some do not.

In any case you sound like you have a guilty conscience. If you are not guilty of anything then by all means help out your potential unknown children by submitting your DNA to the various genetic genealogy databases so the poor saps can know who you are.
No guilty conscience, that I know of. I might feel guilt if I knew I had fathered a child, I was unaware of and it turned out bad for the mother and child. If that had happened, how would I know that she hadn’t claimed that she was raped, and couldn’t/wouldn’t give the authorities enough information to find me? I never raped anyone, btw. That, in itself, is a good reason to keep my DNA to myself as much as possible.

Are you saying I should put my DNA out there and send out requests for every fatherless child out there to check to see if I might have been there father, when I am not even aware if there are any progeny? How many scammers do you think would call?

Last edited by Cruzincat; 05-09-2019 at 10:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you have any unknown children out there, they will show as half-siblings to your known-children who have already tested. You don't have to do the test yourself for them to be able to find you. But they are probably past college age now (but maybe still paying their student loans ).
Good point on the student loans.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran;55117574[B
]This has happened? You know of a case like this[/b]?

A more typical case would be if a man assaults and rapes a woman, who decides to press charges. Her character is assailed in court. How were you dressed? What had you been drinking? Had you flirted with the defendant? How many sexual experiences have you had?

What then?
It hasn't happened as far as I know. If it hasn’t, it could possibly happen in the future, in some states where the laws are such to allow it to happen.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:38 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times
Quote:
[/b]
If she reported a rape, because she got pregnant in consensual sex and wanted to avoid that stigma, but gave vague or false descriptions of the guy she actually had sex with, the case might stay open forever, if there were no statute of limitations. If she never changed her story, the state could always pick it up later on when DNA might track down the guy. By that time, if the woman is still alive, she may have been telling the story so long that she even believes the lie, or she may be so invested in what she has been telling the daughter or son, that she won’t change the story.

I know this is something that may never happen, but strange things have made it into the courts before.
Yes, they have, and without DNA. Much of your speculative ideas really don't have much to do with DNA testing and are rather legal issues involving the investigation and prosecution of rape.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, they have, and without DNA. Much of your speculative ideas really don't have much to do with DNA testing and are rather legal issues involving the investigation and prosecution of rape.
It has everything to do with DNA.
If you are accusing me of being a rapist just say so and we can get a moderator involved in the discussion. I am beginning to think you are stalking me anyway, because of some of your comments in another forum/thread.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 05-10-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy