Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Noticed through the split second that my regular non-beta screen popped up that there will be some additions to Ancestry. I did a quick google search for what it will look like and wasn’t able to find much. I found a YouTube from someone who went over what the changes will look like -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWWBW4VKmZI

Basic jist was:

1. Thrulines will move out of beta
2. DNA circles will be gone completely
3. New Evaluate tool on potential matches to confirm those matches
4. DNA matches showing up to 10th cousins.
5. MyTree Tags will move out of beta.
6. Notes within matches will be more streamlined

It sounds like they’re just refining their new things but it should be nice. I already have the evaluate tool and it looks promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 11:56 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Noticed through the split second that my regular non-beta screen popped up that there will be some additions to Ancestry. I did a quick google search for what it will look like and wasn’t able to find much. I found a YouTube from someone who went over what the changes will look like -

Basic jist was:

It sounds like they’re just refining their new things but it should be nice. I already have the evaluate tool and it looks promising.
My mom just got two new genetic communities in an update.

Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland
Scottish Central Lowlands

I believe these are repackages of Scottish regions that already existed.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

Basic jist was:

Thanks for letting us know.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
If certain features are being taken out of beta, they may not be fully available any more to members without a paid subscription.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If certain features are being taken out of beta, they may not be fully available any more to members without a paid subscription.
Yep. That could be a downfall.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
My mom just got two new genetic communities in an update.

Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland
Scottish Central Lowlands

I believe these are repackages of Scottish regions that already existed.
Same here:

Scottish Highlands & Islands

The Outer Hebrides
Isle of Skye
Ross & Cromarty

Other than Scotland, my other results haven't been updated. Maybe they will.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:01 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I went on Thru Lines today and found out how a couple of my DNA matches connected. However, you and your cousins need to have submitted not only your DNA but a tree as well. For most of my matches, the people haven't submitted a tree to ancestry, or it says Private. How will you know? My 1st Cousin recently submitted his DNA and showed up as a match, but I KNOW how we are related. Don't know how these 3rd to 5th Cousins are related unless they have submitted a tree.

This Beta stuff confuses me. Since I can use this now, does this mean after July 1st I won't be able to?

Old 06-29-2019, 10:27 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I went on Thru Lines today and found out how a couple of my DNA matches connected. However, you and your cousins need to have submitted not only your DNA but a tree as well. For most of my matches, the people haven't submitted a tree to ancestry, or it says Private. How will you know? My 1st Cousin recently submitted his DNA and showed up as a match, but I KNOW how we are related. Don't know how these 3rd to 5th Cousins are related unless they have submitted a tree.
Well yeah, you would obviously need a tree (besides the DNA) to figure out how distant cousins are related, there's no other way!

I'm trying to think of ways of using DNA only, you would need the DNA from every single relative/distant relative going back decades and centuries in order to do it without a tree and even then, it's probably not possible without a paper trail, since the DNA gets "diluted" with every new generation.

Most people (not all) on Ancestry just do it for the ethnicity percentages and not the genealogy/family tree stuff, it's just not their thing or they're not really into it, plus it's a lot of work and people have many other hobbies they like to pursue.

That's why you need to upload your raw DNA to My Heritage and Family Tree and GEDmatch to maximize your DNA connections and maybe there's a slim chance people on those sites have trees that you can use to figure out how you're truly related.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:

This Beta stuff confuses me. Since I can use this now, does this mean after July 1st I won't be able to?

When it gets to the 5-8th cousins most don't have a tree. A lot of 4-6th don't either. It will say we have no DNA or name matches but if they show up we'll see them. So, if there are no matches why do they still put them up there? It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
ThruLines works even with private trees as long as they are "searchable" and people don't need a big tree to get connections from ThruLines - I have had several matches who only have 3 people in their tree (sometimes private) and ThruLines still finds a connection. And even when they are private, you can still get basic info from ThruLines by clicking on each ancestor - you'll get the same basic data you get from the private tree search results.

Quote:
Do you have a subscription? If so, then you'll still be able to use the stuff in beta right now after July 1st - beta is just a testing mode. If you don't have a subscription, I am not sure what their plan is for access to stuff in beta right now. Maybe the video mentions it but I didn't watch the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy