Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 04:23 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,511 times

Advertisements

My family had their Ancestry.com dna done. We can trace the family tree back multiple generations on my side, but only a few on my husbands side. Anyway, the ethnicity estimates for Germanic Europe for my husband (the father of all my children) are 6% and my Germanic Europe ethnicity is 10%. We have three children. One of them shows 25% Germanic Europe, and the other two show estimates over 50%. How is this possible? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 04:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
It is very possible. It has to do with the DNA, some kids get certain things and some don't get others. Just as a child can inherit certain things and their siblings do not inherit those same things.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:28 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
do not know.
2nd Opinion test?

Old 08-24-2019, 04:41 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Ancestry.com tries to explain this here:

https://support.ancestry.com/s/artic...sults#siblings

Old 08-24-2019, 04:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Did you all test with the same DNA company? Because they don't all show the same percentages, even for the same person.

You also have to look at what other ethnicities the parents got... if in addition to the Germanic Europe you also got ethnicities that were from areas close to the "germanic" region, that ethnicity could be counting as germanic for the children.

Also, when a parent and child test, they get "phased" and the children's results are generally more accurate.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
It is a bit odd, but NW Europeans groups tend to be pretty close genetically and it is hard for these testing companies to tell them apart. I would suggest uploading to GEDmatch (free)and MyHeritage (small fee) to check out their ethnicity estimates. It is more art than science, and looking at several different interpretations can be helpful.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
There's a number of reasons.

1. Click each category and you'll note that there's actually an estimated percentage range. Often, there is some overlap in the percentage ranges between parent and child.

2. Children inherit 50% of their parent's DNA, but they do not necessarily always inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent, or 12.5% from each great grandparent, etc. This means unless their parent is 100% of something, they will not necessarily inherit exactly half of each of the parent's ethnicities - they could inherit all of your "Germanic DNA", or none of it, or anywhere in between.

3. Neighboring regions usually share a lot of DNA, sometimes making it difficult or even impossible to tell them apart. It's normal for ancestry from one location to show up in a neighboring region - so some of your children's Germanic results could actually just be from ancestry in a neighboring region, or your and your husband's Germanic ancestry could be showing up in a neighboring region instead. As westsideboy says, Northwest Europe seems to be particularly difficult to break down further with any consistent accuracy.

4. For all these reasons (especially the last), ethnicity reports are only an estimate or interpretation of your DNA and really shouldn't be taken too literally. If you download your raw DNA data and upload it to another company, you'll likely get different interpretations, illustrating how much of an estimate it really is. You can upload to MyHeritage and FamilyTreeDNA with a small fee to unlock your full results, and you can upload to Gedmatch and DNA.land for free.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:34 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
My family had their Ancestry.com dna done. We can trace the family tree back multiple generations on my side, but only a few on my husbands side. Anyway, the ethnicity estimates for Germanic Europe for my husband (the father of all my children) are 6% and my Germanic Europe ethnicity is 10%. We have three children. One of them shows 25% Germanic Europe, and the other two show estimates over 50%. How is this possible? Thanks.
Can you test any of the grandparents?

Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,309,606 times
My daughter got a higher percentage of Iberian than I did, but she got a lower percentage of Italian than I have. Just how the DNA plays out?

Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
To upload to My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch see my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844 scroll to where it says now to the DNA. GEDmatch is free for ethnicity and family matching. They're a public site that law enforcement (LE) upload to but LE matching is off by default; you have to click the cop icon to turn it on.

My heritage and FTDNA give free family matching. My Heritage gives matches by country free but is $30 for ethnicity, surnames and family trees of matches when matches provide it, chromosome browser. FTDNA is $19 for ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser.

Here is the link for DNA Land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy