Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You definitely seem to be primarily a mix of Native American tribe(s) in Latin America and European (possibly Iberian), and it is possibly around 50/50 (though it does not necessarily mean one parent is fully NA and the other is fully European - they might both be a mixture of the two and it just happens to equal about 50/50 for you). I've explained the basics of understanding the Oracle results in general - is there something specific you have a question about? I'm assuming you have a Latin American background based on this - again, do you know what your ancestry is?
Well my father told me that his mom was pure Spaniard and his dad was Mexican Indian. On my mom's side, her mom was Texas Indian and her dad was of Spanish descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 03:37 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
This part has always puzzled me... The distance being displayed is simply a value of how close one matches the sample standard for that group, right? Depending on the test, the values might vary even for the same group. OP's values of 20.xxx are quite high...meaning not a close match to the ethnic groups. (I usually see 3.xxx or lower). Would there be a better test for OP than the one being used?
The Single Population results in post #5 (which looks like it's from MDLP World-22) have a couple results in the 7s, but generally, like westsideboy said, because the OP is clearly from two different continental populations, he is never going to match just one single population very closely (single population is assuming your entire ancestry is from one population, so if it's not, the results are probably going to be very distant). There might be the odd report here and there that has a few closer results in single population, but in general, it's not going to be very useful for someone who is from two (or more) very distinct populations, since that's not what it's for.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalopez13 View Post
Well my father told me that his mom was pure Spaniard and his dad was Mexican Indian. On my mom's side, her mom was Texas Indian and her dad was of Spanish descent.
Yep, that sounds very consistent with your results and how we interpreted them. If you're looking for more specifics, like what tribes your Native American ancestry were from, unfortunately the results are not reliable enough to be conclusive regarding that.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 500 times
I have a legit question.... if my grandfather and another persons grandfather are 3rd cousins what does that make us?

Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwytoli View Post
I have a legit question.... if my grandfather and another persons grandfather are 3rd cousins what does that make us?
5th cousins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy